Official Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters

Post by Jessica Reehl »

I'm excited to read this book based on your review. It sounds like the genre of book I love with new ideas and elements I haven't read before. You have done a great job enticing this reader.
greekbard_vty
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Justice</a>
Currently Reading: Child of the Sun Complete Edition
Bookshelf Size: 782
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by greekbard_vty »

Now I really want to read. I want to before, but your review ignited my curiosity. Thanks!
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

Though seems Scarry, I would give it a shot and read it. However, my lights will not go off for a whole week.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Interesting review! but I think I will pass on this book, the cover makes me know that my stomach would be twisted while reading it. Changing into "different kind of monsters" is a bit too creepy for me, especially a monster as the one shown on the cover.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Tfree wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 07:40 Thanks much for helpful review. I’m putting this one on my Want To Read shelf as a result. You already had me at “...a path to atonement after stretching the limits of human compassion and morality” but the inclusion of the various human emotional challenges you mentioned sound interesting to me, as well.
It was really a book that covered many topics. I hope you get the chance to read it!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Mmg8464 wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 07:52 I'm not fond of reading anything dark and evil so I don't think I will enjoy reading this! Especially the part about child abuse and incest.
I agree with you. Reading those topics would not be my choice of book. Had I known in advance, I likely would have reviewed another.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

elizab8 wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 19:31 Interesting review! but I think I will pass on this book, the cover makes me know that my stomach would be twisted while reading it. Changing into "different kind of monsters" is a bit too creepy for me, especially a monster as the one shown on the cover.
What's interesting to me is this is the book's "new" cover. I actually preferred the old one.
-Dr. Seuss
yellosteel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yellosteel »

The Different Kinds of Monsters,according to the little i could gather from the review, lives up to my expectations for i do not expect anything less darker. Afterall, we are talking about monsters here,different kinds of monsters!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

I read a few other reviews of this book, and they were so vague I really didn't know what to expect. I wish I had read your review first. Like you, I was completely unprepared for some of the "monstrous" things that were done. I didn't care for the last quarter or so of the book. I thought the story went way off track and got kind of crazy at the end. I read it because I was so taken in by the sample. I would not have read it if I had seen your review first. It is not for the faint-of-heart.
Macha Marumo Mphela
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macha-marumo-mphela.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Macha Marumo Mphela »

I rated this book at 2 stars. I felt like most of it was written for shock value rather than to fully tell a story of tumultuous relations. I've read books that dealt with some of the topics before, so I guess I'm making some comparisons here.
G D H
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Americanah
Currently Reading: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-d-h.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by G D H »

An “intense dissection into the heart of a monster,” it most certainly is. I love how nicely you've been able to touch on the main deal both about the book and reading it.

Dylan is a perfectly realized character, I believe. And the title is one thing that would surely hover above readers long after nailing their last read. Thanks for your Interesting and detailed review.
Gloria Tohabru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-tohabru.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Gloria Tohabru »

This review really says alot. Am glad I've actually read it too. It's like going back to the Jurassic period, jst that this time, the characters were haunted. This review is amazing. 😌
Paula Sabol
Currently Reading: Lover Arisen
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paula-sabol.html
Latest Review: The Scent of Distant Worlds by W. D. County

Post by Paula Sabol »

I am blown away by the review not what I was expecting the book to be about at all. It's sounds good but the abuse of children is a whole other level of darkness I'm not sure I want to dive into. The review doesn't mention if theC goes through all these things and if he does no wonder he becomes what he hates...a monster!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”