Official Review: Realm of Wolves by Chris Parrott

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: Realm of Wolves by Chris Parrott

Post by rssllue »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Realm of Wolves" by Chris Parrott.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The science fiction book, Realm of Wolves: Child of Prophecy I by Chris Parrott, takes the reader on a fantastical journey into the struggle of kings and generals striving to literally take control worlds through both conquest and subterfuge. Actually, much of the machinations that occur throughout the book kind of remind me of old time tragedies with plots of murder, the lust for power and fanaticism of kings, unknown heirs and alliances and more. It really makes the reader wonder what twist will pop up next throughout the book.

The overall scope of the story is quite huge in the number of participants that are seen throughout its telling. There are masses of men who are thrown at each other in the various conflicts that occur in the book. The intrigue is also at a high level as one does not know who is on what side and who can truly be trusted in the struggle for who will be the ultimate ruler of each of the planets that find themselves involved in this fantastical war. Ships are used to battle in space while men fight on the surface of the planets on foot and horseback, both needing the best in strategy to overcome their enemies. Will benevolence rule the day in the end, or will haughtiness and tyranny win out?

I applaud Mr. Parrott on coming up with such a grand idea for a story and for taking on the challenge of transferring that into the story that makes up this book. The sheer size of the conflicts that take place are quite overwhelming at times. If not explained well, this could cause the reader some confusion as to what exactly is going on in the story. I think that the author did a pretty decent job of trying to keep this confusion from occurring in those scenes.

A problem that I had really throughout the whole book was that the majority of the characters just came across at entirely two-dimensional where I could not find any real depth to them. I never was really able to become wholly invested in any of them because of this and it really detracted from the quality of the book. There also were various editing problems through much of the story that caught my attention which would slow down the pacing of the book for me.

Overall, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Though I think that there is a lot of potential here with the story Mr. Parrott came up with, I just think that the weaving of it needs to be tighter for me to heartily recommend it to other readers. If you like science fiction with a lot of intrigue mixed into the plot, then this might be a book you would enjoy.

Realm of Wolves
View: on Bookshelves

Like rssllue's review? Post a comment saying so!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I hate when the characters are just so flat. That really takes away from a story. Good to see a review from you! I haven't seen you around in a while (but maybe I just haven't been looking?) Thanks for the review, but I think I'm going to avoid this one for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thanks for the feedback kandscreeley! :)

I have been busy with other stuff for awhile so it has indeed been awhile with my reviews. Hopefully more are soon to come too. :D

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

In spite of your review and rating of the book, I would be interested in giving it a try. I love complexity in a story. I found it a bit paradoxical that you said that the plot was rather complex, yet the characters tended to be flat. Thank you for the review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

I appreciate the feedback. Please be sure to let me know if you think differently if you do indeed get a chance to read the book.

CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

It is always a shame when a good idea fall flat in the execution. I just had to deal with that in spectacular fashion in my last review.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

I agree that it is definitely a shame when really good ideas are not put together solidly when it comes to their execution. It really just kills the story in these situations.

prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

The title is so captivating and I was very much disappointed by its rating....the plot was promising but too bad the information was not vast enough according to your review...Commendable review though!
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much for your thoughts on the book and your feedback on the review. They are most appreciated! :tiphat:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”