Review by Joy2thenations -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review by Joy2thenations -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Joy2thenations »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alex Fine, the name given to him by a loving orphanage director, finds he has an unusual gift. An intelligent young man, who has worked hard to overcome the difficulties of growing up as an orphan, is looking forward to his summer and starting his college career in the fall at Stanford, with his well-earned scholarship. Things suddenly change when he unexpectedly finds he has the ability to travel through the Internet. Zapped into a world of moving packets of information, Alex finds he can retrieve, retain and manipulate information stored within the vast networks.

Written in first person narrative, this Sci-Fi novel, Superhighway, by Alex Fayman, (book 1 of the Superhighway Trilogy), takes us on a journey through the Internet superhighway to various parts of the globe where he lusciously describes the scenery, people, actions, and food in each location. His descriptions are so realistic, I found myself getting hungry with the meals he described, I could feel the warm Caribbean breezes, and even the pain and emotion of the characters. My rating is 3 out of 4 stars.

Arriving at an orphanage, just hours after accouchement, Alex, is curious about the mystery surrounding his birth. As a young adult, with a new gift, Alex is now pulled into a world of temptation and secrecy. He finds himself doing things, good and bad, that he never thought he would do. Teetering on the walls of justice versus injustice, good versus evil, his new life seems to be filled with difficult and emotional decisions. Each page brings some new adventure from infatuation, organized crime, and philanthropy to love, murder, and Federal cover-up. This new gift might also help him find information that may reveal the secrets surrounding his family and why he was abandoned at the orphanage.

At first, I wanted answers as to how Alex is able to travel through the Internet. Though we do get some answers as the book progresses, I was troubled, and I still am to some degree, with how he and his clothing and anything else he carried could turn digital or optical and back again. However, because you are brought so quickly into such an engaging story, you eventually don’t care how it works and just want to know what’s going to happen next. The book had a few typos and inconsistencies within the text of the book, nothing too distracting, but enough to keep the rating at 3 out of 4 stars. With additional editing, I’d gladly give 4 stars. I will warn that there are some mildly graphic violent descriptions, sexual encounters, and use of marijuana and alcohol throughout the book that may not be appreciated by all audiences.

Fayman’s writing is smooth and the story flows well. I particularly enjoyed how well each main character seemed to pop out of the page as he chronicled their attributes. While other characters could be visualized, he did not waste prose with too much detail for characters with minor roles. I particularly liked the introduction of Alex and his feelings of being raised in an orphanage and participating in the “foster parent lottery” and also later when awakened to the disparity between real poverty and wealth, he is moved with compassion to do something, turning him into a sort of Robin Hood.

Another thing I enjoyed about the book was Fayman’s use of real historical events paralleling and interacting with the storyline. Overall, a fascinating story that will absorb you into its web of intriguing events.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Joy2thenations's review? Post a comment saying so!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Joy2thenations wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 20:14 I wanted answers as to how Alex is able to travel through the Internet. Though we do get some answers as the book progresses, I was troubled, and I still am to some degree, with how he and his clothing and anything else he carried could turn digital or optical and back again.
You're totally right, that wasn't exactly addressed, was it? I didn't even hone in on that in my own review. Kudos to you!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by NeonKay »

The story is interesting however it's not that very appealing to my taste. But I loved the review. It tells me if this novel is for me. Thanks for mentioning about graphic violent descriptions.
There's nothing else more exciting than making a rough place your comfort zone. :wink: --kc fernandez
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

NeonKay wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 17:16 The story is interesting however it's not that very appealing to my taste. But I loved the review. It tells me if this novel is for me. Thanks for mentioning about graphic violent descriptions.
Thanks for reading the review. Yes a good review should be detailed enough to determine if this may be a book we’d enjoy without giving too many details of the story to negate our own reading experience.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”