Official Review: The End of the Beginning

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: The End of the Beginning

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The End of the Beginning" by Zachary Eichholz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The End of the Beginning is an exciting, crisp science fiction book by Zachary Eichholz. Within its 517 pages, mankind tries to find a way to reverse the damage done to our planet. Is it too little, too late?

William Emerson, a retired pararescuer, has led a life of isolation for six long years. After the Korean War, he was hailed as a war hero and nicknamed the "Hope Giver." After all that he has lost though, he feels like an utter failure. During those six years, he has had no peace, tormented by the deaths he was unable to prevent. Just as he decides to end it all, two UNIRO agents drive up to his isolated cabin. They offer him the opportunity to join UNIRO, an organization created to combat the world's environmental problems. With nothing to lose, William takes up the offer. It is a second chance, a chance to make a real difference. He realises he must overcome his troubled past and become the leader that everyone sees him as. Meanwhile, trouble brews in the form of Terra Nova, an environmental terrorist group. William must help to stop this evil force from destroying Earth's last hope, UNIRO.

William Emerson has to be on the list of my favourite protagonists thus far. When he starts out at UNIRO, he is in such bad shape that he has to go for counselling. It is soon discovered that he has PTSD. As a result of this vulnerability, William's future is uncertain. There were times when I feared for him. This uncertainty kept me hooked.

One of the strongest elements present in the book is that of suspense. William is shaped by the traumatic loss of his loved ones during childhood. The author reveals the events surrounding this loss gradually, in snippets. Unlike the rest of the book, which has a third-person narrator, these flashbacks are written from William's perspective. The intense fear and helplessness in those dire moments was overwhelming!

This suspense is also present as William slowly, yet persistently, uncovers the mystery surrounding the violent Terra Nova. Terra Nova is a force to be reckoned with. This group opposes the current system and its leaders. They believe that you must tear down before you can rebuild. I must admit, their arguments were well substantiated! Surprisingly, I found myself swayed by some of their reasoning, leaving me to question which organization was truly the way forward.

The ending of the book left me with unanswered questions. I really hope the author is working on a sequel. Despite its cliffhanger ending, I still believe it deserves to be rated 4 out of 4 stars. Science fiction lovers are sure to enjoy this book!

The End of the Beginning
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

There seems to be a growing trend in science fiction books on environmental issues. I think it reflects people's growing awareness of the evil they have done to this planet. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oooh! A suspenseful science fiction book? It definitely seems like something I would enjoy. Thanks so much for the review! Very enjoyable as always.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The plot is new and sounds unique. According to our review I can see it through that you were hang-in-there through out the story like what-is-next. That it self is interesting! Looking forward to it! Thanks!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Llu
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Llu »

This book sounds like something I would read. I'm going to read this book. It souds cool. These are the kind of books I like.....I mean love. I hate boring books, because I always fall asleep. But this.....is my kind of book!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like a good suspense book! This will keep me awake through the whole night. Totally worth it! Thanks!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Now we are talking. I like the sound of this Terra nova. Seems to be interesting. Also,great review. You managed to peak my interest.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds really interesting. The author did a great job if he was able to have you question your preconceived notions. I'm happy you enjoyed this novel so much!
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

Suspense sounds good! I haven't read a whole lot of sci-fi lately, but perhaps I could give this one a shot!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Suspense is simply ravishing...I look forward to adding this on my book shelf.....fantastic review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that focuses on environmental issues sounds interesting, not to mention very relevant. I am glad you found the book suspenseful. William Emerson does sound like a complex character. A book that manages to sway your mind is powerful. I do not care for cliffhanger ending, but I am glad you enjoyed the book in spite of it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Vonnie403
Currently Reading: The Zachary Blake Legal Thriller Series
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vonnie403.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Vonnie403 »

Kelebogile MBangi's review of The End of the Beginning by Zachary Eichholz is exceptional! Not only does she give us some background information of Captain William Emerson, she also brings out his emotions due to the life that he has had to live so far. It is apparent that she enjoyed the book for it captures the reading audience with gripping suspense throughout the novel. This is a wonderful review. I have downloaded this book and can't wait to read the entire material as soon as possible.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

With Earth Day approaching, today's BOTD couldn't be more fitting! Thank you to the author for making it free to readers. :-) Unfortunately, Science Fiction is not my genre of choice, but I love the excitement that came through in your helpful review. Regarding the cliffhanger, I've read a few books lately that have cliffhangers. I have yet to decide if I like them or not. It got me thinking about tv shows and how certain ones only come on each week. If I were a writer, I don't think I'd have the skills to do that. It takes talent to be able to hook your reader in the beginning of the book, keep them interested throughout, and leave them begging for more at the very end. That's 100% engagement! Being that you said it's full if suspense, I would say engagement is this writer's forte! Way to go! Thank you for your review! :-)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

The storyline - as William deals with PTSD, he must learn to save himself as he struggles to become a leader again. He must help UNIRO to stop the evil force, Terra Nova, and save the environment - sounds like an intense plot! It's great to hear that the suspense worked well here. I also love when authors have strong backgrounds for characters, like the author does here for William. The portrayal of Terra Nova does sound pretty intense! I'm not a Science Fiction fan, so I don't think this is for me, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the book! Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

Great review. Now it is my turn to flip the pages of this wonderful science fiction book and see how William Ermerson uses the second chance he's given by the UNIRO to make a difference in the society. Thanks for the enlightening review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”