Review by Nathi_Enoch -- Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nathi_Enoch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathi-enoch.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by Nathi_Enoch -- Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Nathi_Enoch »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review of Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Heaven and Earth, written by the author Arturo Riojas, is a science-fiction/ fantasy novel, following the rising of an alliance between the human race and the aliens. Together, they hope to save Earth from various diseases, global warming, and other impactful things, which origins from one and the same source. As the story develops, the humans and aliens begin to understand each other and each other's life and circumstances.

The story itself takes place in the United States of America. The existence of aliens is a topic discussed all over the world and therefore it is interesting to imagine what would actually happen if aliens were discovered. It is very intriguing and unique, as the human race has a tendency to feel threatened just by the thought of aliens. In this novel, it is quite the opposite. It was also interesting to see how other planets, if I may say so, perceive life on Earth and the human race and how the humans have impacted the environment on Earth. Another little detail which had a positive effect on me, was the use of the Spanish language, which afterward was translated into English, to make it understandable.

Now moving on to the parts I did not enjoy. First of all, I would like to point out that I would think that this specific story, with all the facts included at the end of each chapter, should have been a non - fictional book, and not a fictional one if the facts about cadmium poisoning are true. The facts made the reading experience dragging, especially in the beginning where not much was happening in the first place. Furthermore, there were simply too many of those mentioned facts. If there would have been far less, reading the book would have felt less like reading an educational book, and more like reading a fantasy book.

Additionally, there were many grammatical mistakes in this novel. Most of them were small typos, for example this one: "Gavilán straighten to a vertical posture in surprise." (page 54). As a reader, I would not believe that this book was edited by a professional, as there were too many typos and errors.

Based on the information above, my personal rating of this book is 2 out of 4 stars.
Lastly, I would recommend Heaven and Earth to readers who have an interest in reading about physics, mixed with science-fiction.

Heaven and Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nathi_Enoch's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 449
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by kdstrack »

Interesting review. I like how you presented the idea that co-existing with aliens need not be a threatening situation. Most books present just the opposite. Also, like you noted it was like two books in one. The cadmium chapters were informative. Great job.

cristinaro
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: Lost Across the Ocean by Jack Enright
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro »

Thank you for your review. In my opinion, the scientific facts on cadmium poisoning were interestingly interwined with the science-fiction plot of the novel. In this way, the author's intention was to reach a far larger audience.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”