Official Review: The Legend of the Dragon Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Re: Official Review: The Legend of the Dragon Child

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I like that you mentioned that you found it hard to read through all the battles, I've always found that to be one of the main reasons I stay away from epic novels because they have too much action. But the fact that you couldn't tell which characters are good and which are bad has me intrigued. Great job on your review!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Not my cup of tea, but lovers of dragon stories will enjoy this one. It's a plus that it's well edited.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Lysander99 wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 19:10 Hey thanks for the review i have always liked stories about protagonists being raised by others than their species and gaining special abilities and unique perspectives on life. I think i might enjoy reading this for fun especially if the lore is as thought out as you mentioned.

I am curious if this books gives enough setup in the first book to be a part of a more epic series or is the story encapsulated solely within one book?
There's definitely enough setup to be part of a larger series!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Chill01
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chill01.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill

Post by Chill01 »

I also found the book difficult to continue in the beginning due to the dragon wars. It seemed curious to me why the "crown" had to be returned to the chosen king so urgently when the queen and her allies all came to Urthe again in the very next sequence culminating in the bonding ceremony. I have only read the portion free to view on Amazon, I found a spelling error, quite vs quiet in that portion and wonder if that is the error the author of this review was talking about. In all I would like to read the book through though based on what I have read I would not give 4 of 4 stars. I don't find the character development that I have found in other books in this type of genre so far.
speedie
Currently Reading: Asymptote
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by speedie »

I enjoyed your review, but I think that the book needs some polishing. Or maybe I am just spoiled by having read too many Anne McCaffrey dragon books.
G3Tobl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by G3Tobl »

The Legend of The Dragon Child is a hit with me. I got caught up in the story and, therefore: suspended my willingness to disbelieve. The pace of the story was just right. The author didn't get bogged down in unnecessary details, which moved the story along at a brisk pace. Moving the story at a brisk pace keeps me motivated to read the book to the end. Who doesn't want to know how the story ends?
I like the author's writing style which brings the story to life. When I read a book such as The Legend of The Dragon Child, I like to envision the action. I want to see the plot unfold as if I'm watching a movie. The author nailed it for me.
Smmarie1988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmarie1988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Smmarie1988 »

I’m considering giving this book a try although I’m concerned the dragon battles may hold me back a little bit. I feel like I would struggle to get through those parts. You mentioned liking history and I’m curious to know if this book has any ties to medieval times. Obviously there’s no truth to the dragons but I enjoy books that touch on facts of the time period. I guess a better way to phrase it would be what time period does this take place in or is it completely fictional and does it accurately represent the people, culture and lifestyle of that time?
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

It sounds like this book has a lot of dragon battles and that would not be something that would interest me but happy reading to those who do!
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

This looks like a proper fantasy book. Great review, you made me want to read it, if only I had more time.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Lugie2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lugie2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Lugie2 »

This review really makes me want to read this book! I’m a sucker for dragon stories anyway, but the relationship between the hatchling and the human child sounds unique and compelling. And the Jungle Book comparison only adds to the intrigue.. I like the idea of parallels between the story and legends, and the historical elements described in the review, I will definitely give this a read!
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

I’m a fantasy genre lover, but the dragon battles do sound a bit off-putting. Thanks for your honest opinion and the great review!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

Seems like the book with a quick start, though the parts in the middle that are a little long (dragon battles) makes me hesitate. Overall, looks like a really interesting read!
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by ktom »

This sounds very intriguing! But I don’t know if this is really up my alley. I’m not that big of a fan of fight scenes, dragon or otherwise, but I do like the way you said the deeper you got into the book, the more you realized how great it was, so I might give it a try. Thanks for the detailed review!
"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." - Henry James
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I like that there is no clear distinction between good and evil. I also like that there are connections to other myths and legends. The cover art is beautiful and draws me into the story. My favorite part is that the human hero is a girl not a boy like many other fantasy stories.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I love epic fantasies! After reading your review, I want to start reading it too! It would be interesting to see how the relationship of Zlemtec and Kaida affect the Mursei and humans.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”