Official Review: Flash Point (Elemental Trials, Book 2)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Flash Point (Elemental Trials, Book 2)

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flash Point (Elemental Trials, Book 2)" by Ronelle Antoinette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Flash Point is the second book in Ronelle Antoinette’s Elemental Trials series. This book continues with the story of Jex and Enari and their life in Egalion.

After spending so much time apart over the past year, Jex and Enari are delighted to be together again. Not all is smooth sailing, however, as they come up against indescribable evil and betrayal.

Traveling to Rowan with Jex, her father, and his partner Vasi, Enari finds life very different in the city than what she is used to. Even though it gives her the chance to be close to Jex, her aunt, and cousins, she finds herself at the mercy of an evil being dwelling in the city.

Burdened with a secret, Enari is not sure of Jex’s reaction and keeps it from him until it’s almost too late. Will it tear their relationship apart or is their love strong enough to overcome all obstacles?

Beautifully written in third person, the author has a brilliant way with words and the story effortlessly flows off the page. It takes real talent to come up with, not only a fantasy land, but new cultures, languages, and rituals as well, while still keeping it believable. I often find myself lost in a myriad of complicated names and places in fantasy fiction, but it was never the case here.

The main characters of Jex and Enari are both three dimensional and realistic. Enari is strong-minded and resourceful but also shies away from too much attention. However, if someone who she cares about is threatened, she immediately comes to their defense, with little thought for her own safety. Jex is pulled in so many directions from the demands on his time that he is stretched to the limit. When tragedy strikes, it’s all the more believable that he copes the only way he knows how, with his stubborn, unreasonable streak coming through. The love which the two of them have for each other lights up the page and is a joy to read.

The secondary characters are portrayed realistically and with varied personalities. One which I thought was especially well written was that of Sarene. Enari’s cousin, she is a conniving, spiteful woman who is jealous of Enari and will stop at nothing to achieve the power which she believes she deserves.

I was wary about reading the second book in the series having not started with the first, especially as other readers recommended against it. However, I’m so glad that I did. Although there are references to the first book, and it would have helped my understanding of the characters and politics, I would have missed out on this jewel of a book. After some initial confusion at the start, I was able to follow the story easily. It ends on a cliff-hanger and it left me eager to read the next installment.

Professionally edited, I found no writing errors in the entire book. I rate it a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. It has love, heartbreak, murder and otherworldly evil. I laughed, I cried, and I was completely unable to put it down. This is definitely a book for fantasy fiction fans who like a bit of romance. While it would be best to start with the first in the series, this book is easily followed in its own right. I, personally, cannot wait for book three.

Flash Point (Elemental Trials, Book 2)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The story is very striking! I like to see their love been put to test, that would probably be the true moment when a persons character comes out with who they really are. Thanks!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one in spite of the fact that it was a second book. I was a little wary of this one for a couple of reasons, but it sounds like it turned out great! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Maxman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maxman »

The story is good but I will like to see a true test to there love.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am always intrigued by books that get that elusive perfect rating. I am glad to know that this one, though part of a series, can be enjoyed on its own.

The love story of Jex and Enari seems fraught with challenges (indescribable evil and betrayal at that). It will be exciting to see them overcome and emerge with a stronger bond.

Thanks for the engaging review, Micoleon13!
Peterhchurch
Favorite Author: Douglas E. Richards
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39423">The creacher from jeckle island</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterhchurch.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 18660

Post by Peterhchurch »

I would like to experience the laughs and crying you did, the way you portray the characters makes them believable and realistic, I guess I should read the book. So many books so little time.
Peterhchurch
Favorite Author: Douglas E. Richards
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39423">The creacher from jeckle island</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterhchurch.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 18660

Post by Peterhchurch »

I would like to experience the laughs and crying you did, the way you portray the characters makes them believable and realistic, I guess I should read the book. So many books so little time.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This is not a book I would jump at, but I liked your review.
Arielday96

Post by Arielday96 »

It looks and sound like an interesting book I would read it
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

I am curious as to why the first book was not recommended to be read and the second book was. Also i really want to know the magical and fantasy aspect of this series.

So far from your review this seems more like a family soap opera set in a magical world rather than a typical adventure type storyline.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I would love to read this book to discover Enari's detailed charisma...sounds riveting..
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

It's good that the romance blended seamlessly with the fantasy elements of this novel, without either aspect seeming shoehorned in. Worldbuilding and character development can make a book stand out from the crowd, after all.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”