Official Review: Grave Robbers by Sherry Allred

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Grave Robbers by Sherry Allred

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grave Robbers" by Sherry Allred.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Good versus evil. That epic battle for all times is a common theme in literature. So the question you may ask yourself is, "Is there anything new under the sun?" In answer to that, let me tell you about a book I just finished reading called Grave Robbers.

Derek Hammond is a normal seventeen year old boy. His Uncle Lyle has just passed away, and his mother drags him to the funeral (although he'd rather be back in Utah at basketball practice.) Something odd happens to him at the funeral, though. It's a rainy, wet day, and Derek slips on the grass. More embarrassed than hurt, he starts to get up and inadvertently touches a grave stone. He immediately blacks out and is transported back in time. There he watches a young girl named Molly Whipple get hit by a car after roller skating into the street. When he wakes up, he finds himself back in his own time laying on top of a grave for Molly Whipple whose death dates are 1946-1955.

Derek eventually realizes that he's been given a gift. He is able to go back in time to see the death of the person whose grave he touches. He starts to wonder if there is more to it, though. Could he actually be able to stop that person from dying?

Grave Robbers is a young adult book that I would classify as supernatural fiction. It is written in third person perspective following Derek. It's a fast-paced story with plenty of action. The violence is handled delicately with little gore and no language making this book suitable for the teenage years.

I enjoyed the characterization in the novel. Derek is not perfect and has typical teenage struggles and the occasional tiff with his mother. This makes him more realistic. The secondary characters, like Derek's best friend Eddie, are also life-like. There is one scene in particular where we are really able to see into Eddie's daily life. The characters helped me to become invested in the story.

The overarching theme of the book is good versus evil, but there are themes that are significant for everyday life as well. For example, the author addresses bullying, depression and being aware of the struggle of others. One of the things that this book made me realize was that we have a duty to help those around us. We CAN make a difference. I thought that was pretty meaningful coming from a fictional story.

I found only a few minor snags in the story worth mentioning. The first was in Derek telling his mother about his new gift. His mother was not overly receptive, but she did agree to take him to a cemetery to see him in action. I found it a bit suspicious that she would even agree to take him to a cemetery. I find it more likely that she would immediately call a counselor when she found out her son believed he could transport to the moment of someone's death.

The second minor observation I had was on the spirituality of some of the passages. They seem to be a mix of Christianity and just plain spiritualism. I have no complaint with that as it is a fictional story. However, I thought a few of the passages were a bit deep for a young adult book. It seems that Ms. Allred is trying to make the book more realistic by explaining how and why Derek is special. I appreciate the explanation but just felt she went a bit far for a young adult book.

Despite the minor drawbacks, I immensely enjoyed this novel. There were a couple of chapters at the end for the next book in the series. I normally don't even bother reading those. This time? I couldn't help myself. I would very much enjoy reading Grave Robbers 2: The Battle of Angels as soon as it comes available! It is for these reasons that I rate Grave Robbers 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this book to all who enjoy an action-packed, good versus evil, supernatural fiction with a message for everyday life.

Grave Robbers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Thanks for such a detailed review of the book. It seems like a good read. Too bad I am not into supernatural fiction.
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Very insightful, thorough review! I don't usually like supernatural themes, but you made the plot sounds so interesting. Glad you enjoyed the book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Hildah Mose wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 02:27 Thanks for such a detailed review of the book. It seems like a good read. Too bad I am not into supernatural fiction.
Thank you! I appreciate your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 10:40 Very insightful, thorough review! I don't usually like supernatural themes, but you made the plot sounds so interesting. Glad you enjoyed the book.
I'm not into most supernatural fiction, but this being young adult was a bit different in a good way. I'd recommend it for most even if they don't usually like supernatural fiction. Thanks Shi much for your comments. I always appreciate your encouragement.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This sounds like a great read! (And I suspect a quick one) I will put it on my list! Thanks for the great review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 13:17 This sounds like a great read! (And I suspect a quick one) I will put it on my list! Thanks for the great review.
It is a fairly quick read. If you read it, you'll have to let me know. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Asmita Budhathoki
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asmita Budhathoki »

Thanks for the great review, i plan on reading this.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Ghosts and time travel. What's not to like? This looks like something up my alley. I'm definitely going to check this out. Thanks for this wonderful review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Asmita Budhathoki wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 15:11 Thanks for the great review, i plan on reading this.
I hope you enjoy!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 20:59 Ghosts and time travel. What's not to like? This looks like something up my alley. I'm definitely going to check this out. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Thank you! I'll warn you, though. You might not want to stop once you start.
—Neil Gaiman
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

Thank you for your review. Based on the title of this book, I probably would not have chosen to read it, however, your review has changed my mind. This looks like a book I need to add to my bookshelf to read in the near future.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The plot seem very engaging! I like addition of time travel in it. Good to relax in a mind engaging book. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Joy2thenations wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 02:50 Thank you for your review. Based on the title of this book, I probably would not have chosen to read it, however, your review has changed my mind. This looks like a book I need to add to my bookshelf to read in the near future.
It wasn't quite what I expected from the title but in a good way. I hope you read and enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 08:23 The plot seem very engaging! I like addition of time travel in it. Good to relax in a mind engaging book. Thank you!
It was fun. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”