Official Review: No Child Left Behind by Claudia Casser

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: No Child Left Behind by Claudia Casser

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Child Left Behind" by Claudia Casser.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aliens have come to Earth from another dimension in order to escape (and possibly defeat) an enemy they face in their dimension. Having the ability to transmit and read thoughts, these aliens think they are more advanced than their Earth counterparts. However, they will have to find a way to work together to defeat this adversary threatening their very race.

Geoff is a normal fourteen year old boy. At least, that's what he would like to be. Unfortunately, Geoff has ADHD. He doesn't like the way the medicine makes him feel; thus, he refuses to take it. The public schools, then, are forced to put him into Special Ed. Obviously, this does not make Geoff happy. But, there is a compromise to be had. Geoff's mother, an attorney, has begun working with some foreigners that want to have a boarding school on an estate zoned only for single family residences. She devises a plan that will let the foreigners have their school at the cost of letting high functioning Special Ed kids like Geoff come for a day school. It's a win-win situation. Or is it?

No Child Left Behind is in the science fiction and young adult category. It is geared towards high school age and above. The title is apropos as it discusses Special Education students and the No Child Left Behind mandated standardized testing. You might wonder how that fits in with aliens from another dimension, but the author blends the two into a very functional and enjoyable story. In this way, she is able to teach lessons about "special children" in a way that would appeal to all intelligence levels as well as teenagers and adults.

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is very hard for a "normal" person to understand. The author does a brilliant job, though, at letting the reader into the mind of someone who is afflicted with this condition. Ms. Casser uses the first person voice to help us to see how many directions Geoff's mind takes at one time. Rather than overwhelm the reader, this really helps to sympathize with the main character in his plight.

Geoff's character was not the only unique persona. There is a boy named Kevin who is also in Special Education. He doesn't like to be touched. If someone does mistakenly touch him, they quickly end up on the floor from one of his punches. (Great reflexes!) We, also, get to learn about the aliens firsthand. The author alternates between Geoff's point of view and one of the alien's - a Lord Kemp. They way they view our world is interesting and sometimes very poignant.

As far as the plot goes, it was interesting enough to keep my mind engaged. There were new terms and technology to learn as the aliens have evolved a bit differently from "natives." This leads to some fun scenes as the aliens also have no idea what to do with some of our modern conveniences such as electricity or the internet.

I also enjoyed the fact that the aliens saw the children who were usually in Special Education a bit differently than most people do. While some of the techniques used on these children are impossible without telepathy, I think there were some great takeaways as well. Meditation techniques and animal therapy are used which I think are beneficial in real life. It also helped to break down stereotypes seen with Special Education children.

Some of the vocabulary used was a bit challenging even for me as an adult. Words such as insouciance and asphyxiated are fairly common language in the book. However, this is the author's plan as the book is meant for those in the 9th grade and above. It's a great way to get children to broaden their vocabulary while providing an entertaining story. Very clever on the part of the author, if you ask me.

There were only a few minor issues that I had with the book. First, Geoff did tend to get on my nerves a little bit. Oh, it wasn't his ADHD or limited focus that bothered me. It was the fact that Geoff tends to be a bit dramatic especially as regarding the alien's telepathic abilities. This caused a bit of eye-rolling on my part, but it did not keep me from continuing in my reading of the book.

Secondly, while there is an alien race and some new technology in this book, the science fiction aspect of the book is more secondary. I'd say the real story is about Geoff and his coming to terms with his "disability." How he learns to handle himself and cope in the real world is the true story. However, those die-hard science fiction fans might find this somewhat disappointing.

Overall, I rate No Child Left Behind a 3 out of 4 stars. The minor issues mentioned above kept me from rating this book any higher but did not hinder my enjoyment of the novel. I would recommend this to all those - teenagers and older - who enjoy a book focused on overcoming disabilities with a bit of science fiction thrown in.

No Child Left Behind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Completely two unrelated topics met at a point to blend in, I wonder how that would turn out to be? Curious, just curious! Thanks for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Alaru Nobert
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Alaru Nobert »

Interesting review indeed. Thanks
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 07:57 Completely two unrelated topics met at a point to blend in, I wonder how that would turn out to be? Curious, just curious! Thanks for the review!
You're right. They are unrelated, but she does a good job at blending the two to make a point and have fun too. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Alaru Nobert wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 08:11 Interesting review indeed. Thanks
Thank you. I encourage you to read the book. It was fun.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's amazing, the author has blended two unrelated ideas beautifully. The author mentions about a rare disease and special children. The story of Aliens reminds me of the book "The Hidden City of Challdrham" I reviewed. Its a very comprehensive review. Thanks.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I loved your review. It made me want to read the book, although it vaguely reminded of Percy Jackson.
OPgirl9122
Currently Reading: Growing Up Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by OPgirl9122 »

Kandscreely's review is quite engaging. I like how you portray the story and the brilliance behind the author's devices in blending two seemingly unrelated entities into one enjoyable story. I myself wondered how could anyone pull that-off without making a mess of the plot and over-all view of the story. Yet, I was pleasantly surprised at the attributes the alien and the special children have: aliens-mind reading, Geoff-special child. That's hilariously funny but it made me think about seeing a situation in a different light. It made me think about the quote I've read somewhere "other's people's trash are sometimes someone's treasure" metaphorically. Aliens consider 'normal' humans as trash, while special children as 'Quite different' in a good way. Thank you.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 09:24 It's amazing, the author has blended two unrelated ideas beautifully. The author mentions about a rare disease and special children. The story of Aliens reminds me of the book "The Hidden City of Challdrham" I reviewed. Its a very comprehensive review. Thanks.
Thanks! It was a bit unusual, but it was well done. It was unique and that's what makes it nice.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Mouricia25 wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 09:46 I loved your review. It made me want to read the book, although it vaguely reminded of Percy Jackson.
It really was not reminiscent of Percy Jackson. It's unique and fun. I hope you do read it.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

OPgirl9122 wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 10:23 Kandscreely's review is quite engaging. I like how you portray the story and the brilliance behind the author's devices in blending two seemingly unrelated entities into one enjoyable story. I myself wondered how could anyone pull that-off without making a mess of the plot and over-all view of the story. Yet, I was pleasantly surprised at the attributes the alien and the special children have: aliens-mind reading, Geoff-special child. That's hilariously funny but it made me think about seeing a situation in a different light. It made me think about the quote I've read somewhere "other's people's trash are sometimes someone's treasure" metaphorically. Aliens consider 'normal' humans as trash, while special children as 'Quite different' in a good way. Thank you.
The story definitely makes you think about the way that you view different things. I highly recommend it! Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

You might wonder how that fits in with aliens from another dimension, but the author blends the two into a very functional and enjoyable story. In this way, she is able to teach lessons about "special children" in a way that would appeal to all intelligence levels as well as teenagers and adults.
Impressive idea from the author to blend aliens from another dimension and awareness of the tendencies of children having ADHD into an enjoyable story. I'll put this book on my shelf. Thanks for the thorough review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks dolor! I'm amazed at how the author was able to do this. It was nice.
—Neil Gaiman
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

I like the fact that the book gives some tips to understanding a real life problem. The review is an excellent one too.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This book really sounds interesting! I spend a lot of time with children and teens, and, historically speaking, many of them have had ADD and ADHD. I am very curious to read the author's insights. This is definitely going on my TBR list.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”