Official Review: No Child Left Behind by Claudia Casser

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Re: Official Review: No Child Left Behind by Claudia Casser

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 19:29 This book really sounds interesting! I spend a lot of time with children and teens, and, historically speaking, many of them have had ADD and ADHD. I am very curious to read the author's insights. This is definitely going on my TBR list.
I hope you enjoy. Maybe some of the children you work around would enjoy this as well...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

What an interesting premise! "Special Ed" children and aliens? How the heckity-heck does that work?! I'm sorry Geoff got on your nerves, and it sounds like he'd get on mine, as well, but I think I'm willing to overlook it in order to read such a novel - *ha ha!* - book. I also like the idea of the author inserting our very real concept of "No Child Left Behind" in the story...Thanks for the very thorough review!
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Well, what a creative way to mix Science Fiction with a real life disability. This sounds like an interesting read, and I am glad that you enjoyed this book so much. Thank you for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MsTri wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 23:01 What an interesting premise! "Special Ed" children and aliens? How the heckity-heck does that work?! I'm sorry Geoff got on your nerves, and it sounds like he'd get on mine, as well, but I think I'm willing to overlook it in order to read such a novel - *ha ha!* - book. I also like the idea of the author inserting our very real concept of "No Child Left Behind" in the story...Thanks for the very thorough review!
It really is worth overlooking his quirks to read! The author is quite crafty. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Lg_99 wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 01:35 Well, what a creative way to mix Science Fiction with a real life disability. This sounds like an interesting read, and I am glad that you enjoyed this book so much. Thank you for the review.
Thank you for commenting! I recommend this book highly.
—Neil Gaiman
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is very hard for a "normal" person to understand. The author does a brilliant job, though, at letting the reader into the mind of someone who is afflicted with this condition. Ms. Casser uses the first person voice to help us to see how many directions Geoff's mind takes at one time. Rather than overwhelm the reader, this really helps to sympathize with the main character in his plight.
[/quote]

I like the author's approach and would like to see how Geoff comes to terms with his 'disability.' Thanks for the interesting review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

It's amazing how many people have been diagnosed with ADHD over the last few years when all their lives they (and their teachers) have previous thought that they're just lazy. I'm glad that this book - sci-fi as it is - approaches this topic because it's quite serious in our society. I personally know a few people with ADHD (including my previous boss) and let me tell you, it's not fun - neither for them nor for those around them. And it's true, like the main character also observed, being on ADHD pills for life is not fun either.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cotwani wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 07:17 Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is very hard for a "normal" person to understand. The author does a brilliant job, though, at letting the reader into the mind of someone who is afflicted with this condition. Ms. Casser uses the first person voice to help us to see how many directions Geoff's mind takes at one time. Rather than overwhelm the reader, this really helps to sympathize with the main character in his plight.
I like the author's approach and would like to see how Geoff comes to terms with his 'disability.' Thanks for the interesting review.
[/quote]

It was definitely a unique approach to something that society could use more notice of! Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kislany wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 08:21 It's amazing how many people have been diagnosed with ADHD over the last few years when all their lives they (and their teachers) have previous thought that they're just lazy. I'm glad that this book - sci-fi as it is - approaches this topic because it's quite serious in our society. I personally know a few people with ADHD (including my previous boss) and let me tell you, it's not fun - neither for them nor for those around them. And it's true, like the main character also observed, being on ADHD pills for life is not fun either.
I do believe that this is getting more notice as it should lately. The author's way of approaching it certainly was unique, but that's the beauty of it! Thanks for the comments.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow, this is a new concept in fiction! The whole ADHD issue resonates with me; the alien part is certainly a bit of a surprise, although clever. It sounds like it works quite well. Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another great review! Although I don't usually care for alien-themed books, this one sounds interesting. I like that the author shows Special Education kids in a non-stereotypical way. I agree that using advanced vocabulary is not a bad thing for this age group.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 08:53 Wow, this is a new concept in fiction! The whole ADHD issue resonates with me; the alien part is certainly a bit of a surprise, although clever. It sounds like it works quite well. Thanks for the review!
It's definitely a bit unique to combine the two, but I love when author's come up with different concepts and execute them well!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 12:05 Another great review! Although I don't usually care for alien-themed books, this one sounds interesting. I like that the author shows Special Education kids in a non-stereotypical way. I agree that using advanced vocabulary is not a bad thing for this age group.
With this first book, it wasn't necessarily a "typical" alien novel. Even those who don't usually go for that would still enjoy this story. As for vocabulary, with e-readers, it's even EASIER to look up words you don't know. So, I say there isn't anything wrong with it! Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

The story about special children and then another on aliens. I wonder how they get to connect. Thanks for the detailed review. I will have to read it to end my curiosity.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Hildah Mose wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 03:19 The story about special children and then another on aliens. I wonder how they get to connect. Thanks for the detailed review. I will have to read it to end my curiosity.
She really does a great job combining the two. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”