Official Review: Looking for Dei by David A Willson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Official Review: Looking for Dei by David A Willson

Post by Steph K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looking for Dei" by David A Willson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Looking for Dei by David A. Willson is an exciting fantasy novel with strong characters and a well-built fantasy world.

Nara lives in a poor fishing village called Dimmitt. She and her friend Mykel are looking forward to the upcoming announcements. During the announcements, the village’s youths will be cut by a priest of Dei with a ceremonial dagger called a ceppit, that is imbued by magic. The ceppit is supposed to reveal a person’s gift. No one in Dimmitt has been revealed to have a magical gift in decades.

Nara has long had powers that her guardian Bylo urged her to keep secret. Before the announcements, she realizes the ceppit is not imbued with power. No one in Dimmitt can be revealed to have a gift, because the power of the ceppit is needed. A harvester is needed to imbue the ceppit, but Dimmitt is too poor. They could never raise the money. The priest has been lying and deceiving the village for years.

Usually gifts do not appear without the ceppit, but Nara is different. She sneaks into the place where the priest keeps the ceppit and imbues it the night before the announcements. The next day does not go as planned, however. Nara is not revealed to have powers. She is relieved, because Bylo wanted to keep her abilities a secret. But when Mykel is cut with the ceppit, it is revealed he is cursed. He starts to die, and Nara rushes to his side, using her powers and a prayer to Dei to save his life. Bylo takes them and runs. They have to flee. People will be interested in Nara’s powers for nefarious reasons, and as a cursed, Mykel will be executed.

This book had wonderful worldbuilding. That’s a very important thing in fantasy. The fantasy world has to be real and fleshed out, and the magical system has to follow a set of consistent rules. It was one of the best fantasy novels I’ve read in a long time.

The novel had good characterization. Even minor characters were fully fleshed out and realized. The characters were people the reader can really care about. The book also did well in regards to female characters. There was good representation, and a lot of strong, powerful female characters.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is the best book I’ve discovered through OBC thus far. Any reader who has enjoyed young adult fiction such as The Hunger Games or the Divergent books will enjoy Looking for Dei.

:techie-studyingbrown:

Looking for Dei
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Steph K's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I'm not a die-hard fan of fantasy, though I admit I read all of the Harry Potter books and watched all the films. Bylo, Nara and Mykel seem destined to make my acquaintance, too. I want to help them look for Dei.

Thanks for the inviting review, Steph K!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I would like to give it a shot! Seem very intriguing, the idea of power and curse, the friendship of three friends, what more do you need! Thanks for the detailed summary!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

World building is so important in a novel like this! I'm glad the author did it well, because it sounds like a really great book. Thanks so much for the review. I'll definitely have to look into this one!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

This world is such an exciting concept. Great review. I think I will add this to my shelf.
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

Thanks for the review it is nice to have a fleshed out young adult series with a magical environment and a strong female heroine. It is nice to know that despite the oppressive and corrupt nature of the village that the heroine lives in she is smart enough and has enough control of her abilities to act whilst remaining hidden. Although i find it ironical that even though she escaped detection she is forced to reveal herself because of another person.

Oh well it at least nice to know that this is the first in a series of books and there is great worldbuilding in the first book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”