Review by Osemudia Akinhonmhin -- The Elf Brief

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Osemudia Akinhonmhin
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osemudia-akinhonmhin.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Review by Osemudia Akinhonmhin -- The Elf Brief

Post by Osemudia Akinhonmhin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Brief(Book one of the magi charter) is a book talking about the elfin land of the North Pole and how it runs in order to bring joy at Christmas, to the world. It is not particularly religious as it makes no mention of a God or style of religious worship. It was written by Jordan David, and is fictitious. The book revolves around the happenings in the North Pole which is inhabited by Santa and the elves along with a few animals like the Bears.

The book tells us of the adventures of Noel, a normal twenty year old elf who found himself doing things no one expects when Santa Christo gives him a brand new assignment no elf had ever done in the history of the North Pole. Despite having no experience and tutelage, he does a superb job and uncovers many hidden facets of the normal elfin lifestyle. Together with the new Santa -Nicholas, Noel was able enjoy a grand time and to bring cheer to the rest of the world on Christmas Morning.

I enjoyed the story a lot as it was not a regular story and it brought something fresh to the surface. The storyline was gripping and had me wanting to know what would happen next. I liked the fact that I could not predict how the story would go and so every new twist was refreshing and intriguing. It taught that no assignment is too big to accomplish and that we should not be afraid to try something new. However, the first chapter was a bit of a drag and the tempo of the story took a little while to warm up which made reading that portion somewhat of a chore. I had difficulty understanding the descriptions found in that first chapter especially the allocation of ages. One that struck me as queer was the golden hat lady of about five on page eleven. I was totally befuddled to find that she was an elder. After that chapter, the book become a lot more fluid which was a relief as the first chapter had some bumps.

The book was entertaining as it was able to produce humor and I also feel that addition of the human element would give it a more rounded feel. This may have been added to subsequent books under the Magi charter which would make the point moot here but if this is not the case, then I feel that human reactions to the gifts should be included and maybe a few incidents of human interaction with the elves but not enough to make the book about them as that would change the flavor of the story.

In my rating, I would give the book three out of four stars because I enjoyed the book a whole lot and I feel that it can be read by just about anyone except those who hate Christmas for whatever reason. It is a wholesome book that can be read by individuals of all age groups. I also was not hampered in my reading by grammatical and typographical errors which allowed for smooth reading and which made me believe that the book was well edited.

I loved the whimsy of reading about elves and Christmas and the newness of the topic was refreshing. It was also refreshing to see unexpected twists and turns in the story line. Was a little unhappy with the beginning but all in all, it was a good read.

The Elf Brief
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Osemudia Akinhonmhin's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”