Official Review: I'm A Traveller by KL Watkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: I'm A Traveller by KL Watkins

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I'm A Traveller" by KL Watkins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Joanna Carter, a renowned molecular biologist for her Protean Program Theory, has been working for NASA in the “Project” that “promised to be the most groundbreaking advancement for the entire human race.” The “Project” was going according to plan until one day Joanna wakes up on the floor of her laboratory. She is not hurt. She has not been attacked. The only thing out of place is the shattered Petri dish under her electron microscope. The sample is ruined. She could start a new culture before going home, but she realizes she simply does not want to. In fact, “something has changed.” Joanna is extremely aware of her surroundings. She observes everything meticulously, yet everything has lost its meaning. Her feeling of detachment from the world is so intense that she starts asking herself philosophical questions. “Is this what the world is meant to be?” “Who am I?” There is also an “It” that she does not understand. In I’m A Traveller by KL Watkins, Joanna embarks on an enlightening journey to find answers and discover what “It” is.

I’m A Traveller is a science fiction book of 219 pages that could also pass as a philosophical novel. As the plot centers on Joanna’s journey to enlightenment, most of the story takes place within her mind. The book is full with her observations of places, people, and the environment. While she observes the world, she scrutinizes her feelings of detachment, wrongness, and despair. Her main objective is to find out what “It” is, making the story one of contemplation and inquiry.

KL Watkins compels the reader to observe and feel what Joanna is observing and feeling. At the same time, Watkins conveys Joanna’s feelings of detachment and angst vividly. I did not like experiencing those feelings, but it demonstrates Watkins’ talent. Nevertheless, this book needs an editorial revision. I found many grammatical errors, and some sentences need better wording. An example is the following: “A hasty excuse that led and aimless wander to just outside a schoolyard playground right as recess ensues to spur a long forgotten memory of African painted dogs.”

What I liked the most about I’m A Traveller was its surprising and unnerving end. After Joanna’s long road of contemplation and inquiry, I was ready to know what “It” was. The reader has to pay close attention to the clues the author left throughout the novel. I paid attention and suspected what “It” could be. Either way, its discovery made my skin crawl. Literally, I felt shivers when I read that part. Besides having a revealing end, this book puts the reader to think long and hard about Joanna’s ruminations. The story lacks action, but presents a thought-provoking speculative scientific argument.

After some consideration, I rate I’m A Traveller by KL Watkins 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star because the book needs an editorial revision and lacks action. The story reads like a lengthy scientific and philosophical inquiry until the moment Joanna attains enlightenment. I considered deducting another star because of the storyline’s slow pace. However, I realized that this story requires a detailed mental process, and its end makes the wait worth it. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy science fiction, speculative fiction, and philosophy about the meaning and origin of life.

I'm A Traveller
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not sure I would enjoy something so philosophical as this. It sounds like an intriguing concept, though. Hopefully the editorial issues can be reworked. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

It is philosophical mixed with a scientific theory, which made it interesting. I do hope Watkins fixes the grammatical errors.

Thanks for stopping by!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Abosede1997
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Abosede1997 »

I love scientific theory's a lot so I am sure I will like to read it ,but the grammatical errors might be a bit disturbing.hope he corrects it soon
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I can live with philosophy, l love that field. The plot seem interesting but a bit of action I believe may help the author to keep its reader attached to the book. Thank you for your detailed review! Looking forward to it. I hope the errors can be re-worked on otherwise it's a clear damage on book. Thanks again!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

As I read your review somehow 2001: A Space Odyssey comes to mind. I sounds like it has that same observational, detached, and slow pace . Your review makes me want to know how it ends!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like a pretty philosophical novel. Based on the beginning of your review, I was hoping she was going to wake up with a superpower!
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

It sounds compelling but hard to read. I will probably give it a try and then see. The review was great, thank you for that.
candymargaret
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by candymargaret »

I think its abit too philosophical, though interesting. The grammatical errors can be corrected soon enough, hopefully. Its a great read. 👌
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Abosede1997 wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 19:14 I love scientific theory's a lot so I am sure I will like to read it ,but the grammatical errors might be a bit disturbing.hope he corrects it soon
The grammatical errors annoyed me a bit, but the author has talent. Thanks for stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 20:30 I can live with philosophy, l love that field. The plot seem interesting but a bit of action I believe may help the author to keep its reader attached to the book. Thank you for your detailed review! Looking forward to it. I hope the errors can be re-worked on otherwise it's a clear damage on book. Thanks again!
Yes, some action would have made the book more dynamic. I think the author needed a better editor. Thanks for stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Kat Berg wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 23:04 As I read your review somehow 2001: A Space Odyssey comes to mind. I sounds like it has that same observational, detached, and slow pace . Your review makes me want to know how it ends!
Have not read that one but will take note. The ending is worth it. I was like :shock: . Thanks for stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

CommMayo wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 17:18 Sounds like a pretty philosophical novel. Based on the beginning of your review, I was hoping she was going to wake up with a superpower!
I was waiting for something like that, sabotage, or some kind of bizarre abduction. Thanks for stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

uyky wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 19:44 It sounds compelling but hard to read. I will probably give it a try and then see. The review was great, thank you for that.
I think the ending is worth the patience. Thanks for your kind words and stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am a huge fan of fictional books. And this one seems appealing.
Great review!!
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”