Review by aliceriddle -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aliceriddle
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceriddle.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by aliceriddle -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by aliceriddle »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway by Alex Fayman is a modern-day story about Robin Hood with a mix of science fiction and thriller elements. The story is told from the perspective of an eighteen-year-old, Alex, who lived in an orphanage his whole life and never knew his biological parents. He is a normal freshman at a university, who has planned out his whole life. But he soon finds out that he has an extraordinary ability, which allows him to transport himself through the passageways of the Internet. He can access many databases, archived data, and he can also reach any destination in the world. In a short period of time, he manages to become one of the wealthiest people in the world because of his unlimited power. He begins stealing money from criminal oligarchs, manipulating various banks and setting up charities. It is the story of a man who wants to make right choices and impact the world in a positive way, but he makes a lot of mistakes.

What I liked the most about this book is the author’s ability to write exquisite, convincing scenes in details. It’s also important to note that none of the scenes are “fillers,” since all of them play a crucial part in the story. The vivid descriptions of the scenes make the reader think that he’s in the book along with the main character. Fayman’s fast-paced, simple writing style also keeps the reader hooked, and I wasn’t able to get away from the book. The plot isn’t predictable since the story takes many unexpected twists and turns, and it’s definitely packed with a lot of good action scenes.

The author not only specializes in writing about action scenes but also he knows how to create well-developed, complex characters, who take the story to a next level. We can see their thoughts, emotions, fears, and triumphs through descriptions and dialogues. My favorite character is Alex Fine, who is interesting because of his flaws and a different mindset. He undergoes a major character development throughout the book and catches the attention of many readers. At first glance, he may seem true to his age as he is childish, immature and naive. But once his life is turned upside down, he becomes a fully different person. He becomes more considerate and thoughtful of others since he begins understanding that with all the information he has, he can instantly change peoples’ lives and their fortunes. Because of this, he tries to make good decisions, so it will impact them in a positive manner. Does he make mistakes on the way? Yes, because he’s still a teenager. But it’s important to note that he is a moral, kind human and his intentions are good.

While this story is science fiction, it also yields elements of realism. If we dismiss the supernatural elements, we will just have a normal teenager who feels unappreciated and unloved by the world. Alex is just an orphan with unsuccessful times in foster homes who finds his escape in the world of computers. He makes a lot of immature choices in life, such as smoking marijuana and driving while drunk. However, he soon learns how to distinguish between bad choices and good decisions as he steps into the adult world. The book shows us the transition from teenage years to adulthood and the obstacles that the teenagers have to face. It reflects current affairs which makes the story even more realistic and believable.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, and I definitely recommend it to the readers who love YA books. Superhighway is a well-crafted story that will drag you into the characters’ lives easier. You won’t be able to put away the book after starting to read it. You will enjoy the simple writing style, reading about author’s interpretations, and most importantly, going on a journey along with Alex and growing spiritually along with him.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like aliceriddle's review? Post a comment saying so!
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Incredibly helpful review - thank you! I'm really looking forward reading this!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wow, thanks for this review. It has brought out the book content in another angle that anyone who has not read the book can easily relate with. I like how Alex develops from being naive to a responsible person. Indeed, there are a quite a lot of lessons to be learnt here. I would love to read this book definitely.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

You have inspired me to read "Superhighway" I haven't started reading the book, but I am in love with the character "Alex" already. It takes wit and wisdom to achieve what he did him being an orphan. Excellent post!
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

great review, your point about complex characters sits really well with me at the minute, been reading nothing but weak and flimsy laziness lately. will certainly be picking this one up soon.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”