Official Review: Raging Falcon by Stephen Perkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Raging Falcon by Stephen Perkins

Post by Kat Berg »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raging Falcon" by Stephen Perkins.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Raging Falcon by Stephen C. Perkins opens in the year 2063, and much has changed about the world. The world is now unified and has been made so under the founding global unity document: Agenda 21. There is no paper money, people pay for things with a biometric scan, “money” is carbon credits, and everything in the world is decided by the rubric of “sustainable” or “unsustainable”, including whether you live or die. There are no longer jails; there are only “Enrichment Centers”.

Jim Keogh is an inmate under the rule of Warden Howard. He found himself jailed, 50 years earlier, on charges of brutally assaulting, and then killing, his math teacher. Ever since then he has been used as a political pawn to advance the career of others. He is the model prisoner and everyone knows that he is really innocent. Unfortunately for Jim, he has suddenly been deemed unsustainable and is now up for termination. While the battle for his life (and the political life of those who have hitched their wagon to him) heats up, Jim tells the story of magic, sex, manipulation, world domination, intrigue, and the betrayal that landed him in the Enrichment Center in the first place.

This book is a conspiracy theorists dream. The death of JFK? Staged. 9/11? Staged. Sandy Hook? Well, you don’t believe that really happened do you? If you believe it, you are just one of the billions on the planet who been mind-controlled, fooled by smoke and mirrors and really good actors. After all, what better way is there to control others than to have them shaking in their boots in fear? Although this book is classified as Sci-Fi/Fantasy, there is very little of Science Fiction or Fantasy in the book. It is mostly a political/world domination thriller. Any Sci-Fi or Fantasy themes are thrown in as an after thought and are not the focus of the book.

Perkins utilizes flashbacks to bring us back to the beginning of the events in 2011 that are now culminating in 2063. All politicians are under the control of a group called Blue Jasmine (whether they know it our not), and this group is somehow connected to the Vatican, although how is not quite made clear. Everything is done to promote fear and keep the masses controlled through that fear. There is not a single leader or politician that is morally upright, and so all world leaders are easily controlled through the use of blackmail.

This book is absolutely fraught with problems and is in desperate need of a good editor. The author inexplicably seems to have an intense dislike of definite articles (the), as well as pronouns. They are missing all over the place. In addition, there are misplaced commas, question marks where there should be periods, and so many confusing or incomplete sentences that I lost track of how many there were early on in the book.

To add to the confusion caused by grammatical issues, the author often would intersperse inner thoughts with regular conversation, but would not indicate inner thought by italics (or any other way), as is commonly done. It wasn’t always clear until reading the passage through multiple times what the problem was. Although the author was very good about noting when we were jumping back or forth in time, he was not as good about indicating the passage of time and the movement of characters from one town to another. For instance, in one paragraph you would be in the Middle East with an assassin and in the next paragraph you would be in Washington, D.C. with the same person and no idea how you got there, and you would be once again plunged into utter confusion.

Raging Falcon is almost entirely conversation driven. There are many authors who err on the side of too much description and no action or conversation. That is not a problem in this book. Indeed, it's lack of details make the world flat and uninteresting, for it is the fine details that make a world come alive for a reader. The reader is told that a room is richly appointed and that is the extent of the description, leaving the reader to invent the entire world on their own, with little to no help from the author. This makes for an exhausting read.

Although the author mentions magic, Dark Societies, and all sorts of other intrigues, it is in passing only. It is very difficult to get a sense of how this world works as none of the blanks are filled in for us. Many people love to read Fantasy and Sci-Fi books because they love to be drawn into the mystery, magic, and science of how those unusual worlds work. If that is the kind of book you are hoping for, this one will be a disappointment.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. I was so disappointed when I started reading this book. From the description I really thought it was something I would enjoy. However, the book barely matched the description and the problems with the book were just too numerous. As it stands, I cannot recommend this book to anyone. However, if the author were to invest in a heavy edit then those who love political thrillers and conspiracy theories may enjoy this, as long as they don’t mind a lot of sex, violence, and coarse language.

Raging Falcon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kat Berg's review? Post a comment saying so!
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

This book sounds terrible. Thank you for your review and for steering me away from a book that should, by all rights, intrigue and entertain me. I truly hope Mr. Perkins learns to invest in editor or decides to leave the craft altogether.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, you had me going with the first paragraph. I can picture many of those things happening in the near future. It's too bad there was a lack of details, grammatical errors, and holes that aren't filled in. Perhaps this can be salvaged with more work. For now, I'll avoid it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
shar_k
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shar_k »

Thank for that in depth review. I was going to have a read of it but will look for something else. This feels like a waste of time now.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>

Post by Kat Berg »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 14:28 This book sounds terrible. Thank you for your review and for steering me away from a book that should, by all rights, intrigue and entertain me. I truly hope Mr. Perkins learns to invest in editor or decides to leave the craft altogether.
I had such high hopes for this book. It failed on every count. An editor would have made it less of a misery to read. If he is going to continue writing, I too hope he decides to invest in a very good editor.
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 15:00 Well, you had me going with the first paragraph. I can picture many of those things happening in the near future. It's too bad there was a lack of details, grammatical errors, and holes that aren't filled in. Perhaps this can be salvaged with more work. For now, I'll avoid it.
Kandscreeley, the premise of this book has a lot of potential. It is such a shame the author fell short of that potential.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I am sorry but I laughed the entire time reading this review. Especially the last few paragraphs. I thought I was the only one picking deceiving books. Glad to see I'm not alone! I recently read a book I gave 2 stars and I was thoroughly frustrated and fully upset. I can't imagine what a 1 is like. My word!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Actually your review helped me to picture the story, that was great. I wanted to refer this book but at the end there are so many errors. What flicked me the most was the trouble you mentioned about the thoughts and the story been put together which was not clearly defined and separated. This was sad, I was actually looking forward to this book. Anyways, thanks for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Well, it is a shame that the book did not meet your expectations. Books can be deceiving, I have experienced that before. Thank you for the review.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

That's too bad. I liked the cover too. I would have picked this up on Amazon or in a bookstore with hardly any thought. Well, that's what reviews are for.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

The premise set in the near future seemed interesting to me, in the beginning. But going down the review, the rating went down too. Too bad, I was rather interested in it.
Wendy M H
Currently Reading: Magic Shifts
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Wendy M H »

Thank you for your review! I had been considering reading this book. Its description sounded like something I would enjoy. I will now steer away from it.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

OMG, it is clear this book is bad. The genre is not the correct one. Sounds like it was not edited professionally, and seems like the author did not develop the world. Thanks for the honest review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Some work is required on this book before i can think of reading it. The idea of giving us an insight into the future sounds interesting and i hope the author will bring this out in a readable way and avoid confusing the reader with time and place.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like your phrase, "This book is a conspiracy theorists dream." Sounds like this book is an English teachers nightmare! I'm not a teacher, but I think I'll stay clear of this one, too.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”