Official Review: Raging Falcon by Stephen Perkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Re: Official Review: Raging Falcon by Stephen Perkins

Post by MsTri »

Man, what a downer! I too have excitedly started reading what I thought would be an outstanding book, just to be sadly (or angrily!) disappointed. It sounds like the author had a great concept but just couldn't bring it to fruition. I also intensely dislike when a book would have been great had it not been for so many errors. But as much as I dislike mistakes in grammar, the lack of indications for conversations and changes of scenery is entirely uncalled for. I'll steer clear of this one, thanks to your warning.
Zanysnart
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Zanysnart »

well everything has a beginning, the book is quite realistic but needs some other experienced authors and readers to help edit the mistakes especially in punctuations.
RASchneider
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raschneider.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by RASchneider »

Well done review. It might outsell the book?
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am a huge fan of fictional books. But sadly, this book isn't really appealing.
great review though
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This story creates a an imaginary landscape. You are right, grammar issues create much problem. Thanks for the review. Feel free to check out my review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

CommMayo wrote: โ†‘19 Jan 2018, 16:53 I like your phrase, "This book is a conspiracy theorists dream." Sounds like this book is an English teachers nightmare! I'm not a teacher, but I think I'll stay clear of this one, too.
Well said Comm Mayo, when one reads such a book, one would conclude that the final rites of the English language have just been performed by the author. What remains is for the readers to say, "RIP English".
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Kat Berg wrote: โ†‘17 Jan 2018, 20:00
Gunnar Ohberg wrote: โ†‘17 Jan 2018, 14:28 This book sounds terrible. Thank you for your review and for steering me away from a book that should, by all rights, intrigue and entertain me. I truly hope Mr. Perkins learns to invest in editor or decides to leave the craft altogether.
I had such high hopes for this book. It failed on every count. An editor would have made it less of a misery to read. If he is going to continue writing, I too hope he decides to invest in a very good editor.
It really does frustrate me when an author decides to avoid an editor. Even the greatest writers use them (in fact, that's usually what makes them so great). It's like the writer is saying, "I know my stuff isn't good enough to survive the editing process... so I'll just make people read it unedited!" Cue the maniacal super-villain laughter.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This book has an OBC review released in December 2016 with a one-star rating. Then, it was BOTD in November 2017. I had difficulty with the sample back then, but maybe it was just me as I am not a sci-fi fan. Your new review still gives the book a lonely star. Does the author mind the reviews? Curiously, the book has a rating of 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon!

I think even the falcon is confused.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Miriam Molina wrote: โ†‘08 Feb 2018, 20:51 This book has an OBC review released in December 2016 with a one-star rating. Then, it was BOTD in November 2017. I had difficulty with the sample back then, but maybe it was just me as I am not a sci-fi fan. Your new review still gives the book a lonely star. Does the author mind the reviews? Curiously, the book has a rating of 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon!

I think even the falcon is confused.
yeah, I also noticed the 4 & 5 star Amazon rating, but I know that there are reviewers that will write just about anything for a few bucks. It is easily the worst book I have ever read. After I started reading it I was like, "Wait, I think this was a BOTD." Glad to have you confirm I wasn't crazy. I do not understand why the author hasn't gone through and done a strong edit. It would still be an awful book, but maybe a little better. And I LOVE sci-fi/fantasy, and I did not like this book. It is not just you.
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

Thanks for the honest review. Honestly in these current times i don't think anyone i know wants to read too much about politics in their fiction as real life politics is too depressing and nasty. Especially in Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre where according to your review there is an abundance of politics convoluted plot and bad editing and grammar and very little Science Fiction of Fantasy.

With a plot like what you have described I wonder if the writer simply tried to modify an already created plot to a fantasy setting to change the genre of the book to Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Irregardless thanks for the honest review and great work.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

I loved the cover and title. I thought of adding this book. I'll skip this book. Thanks for your honest review which saved so much time.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote: โ†‘28 Jan 2018, 12:29
Kat Berg wrote: โ†‘17 Jan 2018, 20:00
Gunnar Ohberg wrote: โ†‘17 Jan 2018, 14:28 This book sounds terrible. Thank you for your review and for steering me away from a book that should, by all rights, intrigue and entertain me. I truly hope Mr. Perkins learns to invest in editor or decides to leave the craft altogether.
I had such high hopes for this book. It failed on every count. An editor would have made it less of a misery to read. If he is going to continue writing, I too hope he decides to invest in a very good editor.
It really does frustrate me when an author decides to avoid an editor. Even the greatest writers use them (in fact, that's usually what makes them so great). It's like the writer is saying, "I know my stuff isn't good enough to survive the editing process... so I'll just make people read it unedited!" Cue the maniacal super-villain laughter.
Haha! Somehow I missed this until just now! Your statement is just so spot-on! โ€œManiacal super-villain laughter...โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚
LizzieRobinson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LizzieRobinson »

This is an awesome review. And I think Iโ€™m going to ... give this particular book a miss.

Return to โ€œSci-Fi and Fantasy Booksโ€