Official Review: Dionykles by Redd Kaiman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Official Review: Dionykles by Redd Kaiman

Post by Mouricia Allen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dionykles" by Redd Kaiman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dionykles by Redd Kaiman, is a fictional novel about the creation of the world Stoneterra. It explores how the Gods Tuja and Sabato were made, and how they created the world and the things in it. It further examines the life of the demigod Dionykles- fathered by Sabato- who was able to change the destiny of the world. He did not have the best start in life, as out of jealousy Tuja killed his human mother Carisona; and his father abandoned him.

For a long time, it seemed as if the gods had forgotten about their creations. However, they had just gotten bored and lost any passion for creating; all the while being wary of anything or anyone that would be able to destroy them.

The book is filled with cruel men, with evil intentions. With no objective behind this evil, except that it made them feel good. Much of the chaos in the world was created by Tuja who just so happened to be the Goddess of Chaos.

What I liked about this book was plot potential and the creativity of the writer. I also liked that there were also no errors noticed when reading the book. The story, however, did not live up to expectations, as there were too many plot holes in the book for the story to flow. I had to reread many pages to truly understand what had just taken place just moments ago. There was little to no development of many of the named characters. Where the primary and secondary characters were concerned, there were very little back stories or development, which contributed to the lack of quality of the book.

The ending of the book was a total cliffhanger. It only added more questions- to the already long list of questions- for the reader which should have been answered if it was a standalone novel. Why did Sabato allow Carisona to die? Why did he not interfere in the boy’s life before? What happened to Jaya? Did changing the destiny of the world mean there would be fewer wars/hate for future men? What happened to Tuja? What will happen to Sabato? What will happen to Dionykles?

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars as I did not find it to be a very good read, nor was it well written. I followed the story but could not see why many of the things that happened occurred. This book reminds me of a lesser quality Percy Jackson or Hercules book. Unfortunately, I would not be able to recommend this book to anyone other than readers of Sci-Fi novels, and even then, only if the issues were addressed.

Dionykles
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mouricia25's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Well, at least there weren’t any major grammatical editing issues. But it is such a frustrating thing when a book feels like it is incomplete, an almost book. I feel your pain!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The cover looks like a video game container...really. From your description, this even sounded like the backstory of some game. That could have been awesome. Thanks for this information.
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

I have read the sample of this book; it's quite unusual and original, as the topic could not have been imagined or treated as such by other writers, this seems it would be rare! Yes, heros, here Gods and semi Gods ''make an orchestra of Gods ans human beings giving a more ''realistic'' besides imaginary concept of book. Reality and myth are combined with success, as we see that gods in Mythology, other than God Himself, as the only being of Universe and Jesus as God's son, Who came to earth as God to save it, these 'small' gods, have all advantages and disadvantages of humans, thus being able to create universe form Chos or destroy it in terms of chaos.
We see as in ancient Greek Pantheon, that here, Gods are close to man, humans in general and they practice all virtues and non virtues of humans, giving a concept of prosimity and understanding of what meanins like earth, chaos, destruction and destiny are, by making it easy for (human), here readers, and any reader, to understand and may be explain easier the mysteries of universe, if they are in reference to human.
The book is generally Good, and well written. Yes, as another reviewer says, it leaves questions unaswered and behind, in terms of continuity and cohesion of text. But, would we ask the question, that this mystery makes book interesing indeed? And let anyone draw his/her own conclusions?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I can handle a cliffhanger if the book is in a series (although even then I don't like it.) However, in a stand alone novel? That's pretty disappointing. That leaves you going, "That's it?" I think I'll avoid this one. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I always appreciate an honest review and this certainly was one. I like that you were able to provide really good examples to substantiate your opinion of the book without ruining it for someone who might still want to have a go at it. I was a bit thrown off by the cover of the book. Well for sure it definitely conveyed that a dark story was waiting inside. I think it's completely fine to have a mysterious or inconclusive ending but some readers, like myself, appreciate an ending that allows you to piece an ending together for yourself which gives some amount of satisfaction-sometimes not always. It seems this book falls into the latter.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Don't you hate it when you are just trying to get through a book you dislike and then there isn't even a conclusion!?!? The same thing happened to me with The Temptation Trials Part 1...I can't believe that horrible book made it as book of the day. No way could I pick up Part II of that hot mess of a book!
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

CommMayo wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 16:58 Don't you hate it when you are just trying to get through a book you dislike and then there isn't even a conclusion!?!? The same thing happened to me with The Temptation Trials Part 1...I can't believe that horrible book made it as book of the day. No way could I pick up Part II of that hot mess of a book!
It gives me such peace knowing that other people are also suffering. lol Glad I am not alone in the struggles haha
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

inaramid wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 02:41 The cover looks like a video game container...really. From your description, this even sounded like the backstory of some game. That could have been awesome. Thanks for this information.
Now that I think about it, yes it does.
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Katerina Katapodi wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 03:32 I have read the sample of this book; it's quite unusual and original, as the topic could not have been imagined or treated as such by other writers, this seems it would be rare! Yes, heros, here Gods and semi Gods ''make an orchestra of Gods ans human beings giving a more ''realistic'' besides imaginary concept of book. Reality and myth are combined with success, as we see that gods in Mythology, other than God Himself, as the only being of Universe and Jesus as God's son, Who came to earth as God to save it, these 'small' gods, have all advantages and disadvantages of humans, thus being able to create universe form Chos or destroy it in terms of chaos.
We see as in ancient Greek Pantheon, that here, Gods are close to man, humans in general and they practice all virtues and non virtues of humans, giving a concept of prosimity and understanding of what meanins like earth, chaos, destruction and destiny are, by making it easy for (human), here readers, and any reader, to understand and may be explain easier the mysteries of universe, if they are in reference to human.
The book is generally Good, and well written. Yes, as another reviewer says, it leaves questions unaswered and behind, in terms of continuity and cohesion of text. But, would we ask the question, that this mystery makes book interesing indeed? And let anyone draw his/her own conclusions?
You read the sample. Once you read the entire book, you'll understand.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am always into such fictional novels. But I guess this one isn't a good one to read .
Great review though
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

This is a true shame as the premise of the book of Gods & demigods and abandonment by a powerful parental figure seems like a solid and proven method to start a fantasy series. Alas from your review it seems despite this great setup the author could not sustain the premise of the plot and storyline throughout the book making this a poor submission to the fantasy genre.

Oh well maybe with the proper rewriting and editing the author can fix the inherent issues and greatly improve upon the quality of the story.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”