Official Review: The Engine Woman's Light

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Re: Official Review: The Engine Woman's Light

Post by Mercelle »

The review is so good I had to read it twice. Although this is not the kind of book I would read, I like that the words radiate from the pages with an artfulness purely unique to the author.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
phemmaj
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by phemmaj »

What an adventurous story. I wish to read more about Juanita knack for survival. I must get this book. The review is amazing and inviting.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I like this book especially because it is gritter than most coming-of age novels. I agree with your recommendation that mature audiences should read this book rather than teenagers. I like that Hill covers many of the issues that we are dealing with today including harassment and rape. I like that the main character is a woman who can talk to spirits. I am intrigued by the reference of the corrupting of innocent and the redemption of the corrupted.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

[quote]By stripping all characters of any so-called plot armor, she effectively maneuvers them, Juanita and Antonio especially, to convey the darkest and most ironic twist in the book: the corruption of the innocent and the redemption of the corrupt.[/quote]

I would love to know how this ironic theme twist is narrated in detail. I won't mind a hardcore read, as long as the story keeps me on the edge of my seat. Thanks for the lengthy, very well-written, detailed review. If I won't have a slightest hope of having a copy of this book to read, I would have bought it on Amazon after reading your review.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I'm intrigued by your review. I've actually been wanting something darker than the fluffy, coming of age stories. Not all women have their adventures by sheer luck or with help, sometimes its much much darker. I am definitely going to add this to my TBR. Maybe even place it in my stack for March, as my February is a little full at the moment.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Such an eloquent and mesmerizing review, kabayan! The story is indeed a challenge to read - ghosts among the living, possession, gay intimacies. Your "corruption of the innocent and redemption of the corrupt" line is brilliant.

I am intrigued by the book but may have to pass for now. I'll need to summon up the courage to read Juanita's story.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Great review! I appreciate the caution about the dark themes, including abuse and rape. This one isn't my cup of tea but sounds like a good book for those who don't mind such elements.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

Wow! Talk about intense! This book sounds really interesting! I was considering passing before I read the blurb, but I think I'm hooked in now.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Engine Woman's Light', by Laurel Anne Hill is a productive one!
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Engine Woman's Light', by Laurel Anne Hill is a productive one!
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review was excellent! Thank you! This is not my genre of choice, and even though I am not interested in today's BOTD, I appreciate the thought and time that went in to writing such a helpful and thorough review. I am, most definitely, looking forward to reading more of them in the future. :-) Keep up the great work!
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

Great review!
You extracted and gleaned more from the book than I did from the sample which I found difficult to engage with, then just as I became a little attached, things changed and I was back to square one.

This is an unusual book with unexpected subject matter, characters and characterisations.
I agree with the comment about the title and front cover as I don’t believe they accurately reflect the contents.
Also, you state The Engine Women’s Light is not for the faint-hearted.
I could not have said it better.
cim-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cim.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by cim- »

I don't see the cover as for young adult as much as mystery, crime book. I was reading your review thinking hm I just might read this book, then I read you warning of the sexual tones of the book and still might read it but I'll think about it. I am curious though to go through the journey with the many characters you have described.
violet-trey19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by violet-trey19 »

:techie-reference: Good review.Amazing story of the book.The Engine woman's Light is especially for woman to read. :ugeek2:
violet-trey19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by violet-trey19 »

:techie-reference: Good review.Amazing story of the book.The Engine woman's Light is especially for woman to read. :ugeek2:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”