Review by missiontrainer2000 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Review by missiontrainer2000 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Kathryn Price »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway by Alex Fayman is an action-packed adventure novel with a flair for flinging the character into one dramatic situation after another. Fayman creates a believable character in an unbelievable setting, playing on readers’ preconceived notions of topics such as wealth, science, and crime to give the story weight. Though fast-paced and a little lacking in detail, this book is a roller-coaster that will carry you through to the end.

Alexander Fine has lived in an orphanage since he was a baby. Foster families have never worked out for him, and he has given up on ever finding a family. When he is eighteen, the orphanage acquires several computers and installs a computer lab in the former library. In an accidental turn of events, Alex discovers that he can travel via Internet to any place he desires. Between meeting new people, traveling to new places, and getting in way over his head in a powerful crime ring, Alex’s life is changed forever as he struggles to contain his secret. But is he alone in his abilities?

My impression of the book was that it had a good storyline but that it went by too fast. It had too little emotional detail, utilizing more action than anything to keep the story alive. Though the character is constantly questioning his own decisions, they seem to factor little in the overall arc of the story. It favors action and description over the character’s internal thoughts and experiences, even though the latter seem to take up quite a bit of time. At some points, the character makes decisions that make little sense or jumps to conclusions too quickly, leaving the reader a little bit confused about the reasons behind the next step in the plot.

However, the story filled me with thrills and suspense as the character struggled to make sense of his newfound ability, and keep others from finding out. The descriptions of his experiences traveling through the Internet impressed me with the author’s ability to transfer strong visual cues, allowing me to experience the journey right along with him. Traveling from his home city of Los Angeles to Hawaii, Amsterdam, and New York, the variety of settings open readers’ minds to the possibilities and difficulties that Alex’s ability brings. I found myself turning pages faster and faster as the story progressed, and I will probably read the sequel.

This book was very well edited, as I only found two mistakes, and the format makes it easy to read. Audiences teen and up who enjoy fast-paced adventure novels starring characters with unusual abilities will likely love this book. Also, fans of romance will enjoy the relationship angle between Alex and other female characters. My official rating is 3 out of 4 stars. Though the content often leaves much to readers’ imaginations, the overall story is engaging and a worthwhile read.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like missiontrainer2000's review? Post a comment saying so!
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

The premise of this book sounds fascinating. I admit I'm left curious as to how the book will end. I wonder, did the story feel rushed at all to you? Or was it simply just fast paced? Anyway, thanks for writing a review!
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

@SPasciuti It didn't feel rushed, per se, more like that the character was rushing around the globe with no particular goal in mind. I also arrived at the ending of the book much faster than I thought I would, which can either be a good or bad thing. However, that feeling of the story ending before I'm ready to finish leaves me feeling unsatisfied, which is why I mentioned it. Great question - thanks for asking!
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

With such a unique storyline, I can agree that rushing it was probably not in the best interest of the reader. With books that introduce new concepts, it's best to take time and focus on details. It is nice to see, however, that the thrill and suspense help to make up for this area of blemish.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Paul78
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading: Kleptomaniac: Who's Really Robbing God Anyway?
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

The review is thorough and honest. "Hey catch him before he sees the next internet cable, hard luck that he found it anyway"!
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”