Official Review: A Tale of Imagine by Howard Mack

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: A Tale of Imagine by Howard Mack

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Tale of Imagine" by Howard Mack.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A tale of Imagine by Howard Mack is a short story that falls into the science fiction genre. It is set in the magical realm of Spacial One where different creatures, both magical and non-magical reside.

The story is centered around Tolance, a Wizard who finds himself in trouble for failing to repay a loan. This results in him being expelled from his home. Witches are sent to his residence to evict him and force him to return to the Northern region where he originally came from. This eviction not only affects him but includes his army as well. They express their displeasure at being forced to go and live in a strange environment but they don't have a choice. The law must be upheld. The story then follows Tolance on his journey to the North.

What I liked most about A Tale of Imagine is that the font is really pleasing to look at and the cover is quite dreamy. The story also includes instances of inter dimensional travel but the positives end there. Everything else was a let down. To begin with, the story was quite painful to read. There are too many I'll constructed sentences like "It was the norm for the army to dwell close by but they would live all together separate lives." It would read better as "It was the norm for the army to dwell close by but they would all live separate lives." This is found on page 6, where the whole page is basically unreadable and ranks top among pages that need a round of editing.

Tolance is the main character but for him to be the only character mentioned by name throughout most of the story is another let down. Even Tolance's wife and son are not mentioned. When the witches came to evict Tolance, I expected a battle between him and the witches but Tolance seems to have walked out without even trying. This was a missed opportunity. It had me wondering, why have such a scenario yet it was clearly mentioned that Tolance was a powerful wizard?

The pacing of the story is also too fast and the 22 pages weren't enough to cover everything. Just when I got immersed in one scene, it came to an abrupt end and another one took over. This made the book read like a draft for another book, which I desperately hope it is. I can see great potential for this book if it were to be reworked.

In it's current state, it would be unethical of me to recommend this book to anyone. Lovers of the sci-fi/fantasy genre especially will be really disappointed. I therefore give it a rating of 1 out of 4 stars and I hope I'll see another edition in future.

A Tale of Imagine
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Man, I knew we were in major trouble when you started out by saying how pleasing the font is to look at...hopefully they accidentally uploaded their notes or rough draft...

Thanks for taking one for the team on this book!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I'm sorry this one was so disappointing for you. I can understand with ill conceived sentences. Plus 22 pages is awfully short for such a complex story. Hope your next one is better.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I agree with CommMayo. When one can't see anything positive about the book other than the FONT and the COVER...uh-oh.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 17:35 Man, I knew we were in major trouble when you started out by saying how pleasing the font is to look at...hopefully they accidentally uploaded their notes or rough draft...

Thank you. I desperately hope the version I got was the draft.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

inaramid wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 02:37 I agree with CommMayo. When one can't see anything positive about the book other than the FONT and the COVER...uh-oh.
From the cover, I thought this was one of those fairy tale type stories.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 18:33 Wow! I'm sorry this one was so disappointing for you. I can understand with ill conceived sentences. Plus 22 pages is awfully short for such a complex story. Hope your next one is better.
Thank you for your feedback. This book needs a lot of work.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 17:35 Man, I knew we were in major trouble when you started out by saying how pleasing the font is to look at...hopefully they accidentally uploaded their notes or rough draft...

I was about to say the same thing. When your greatest accolade concerns the font, you know the book is in real trouble.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am a huge fan of fictional books. But I guess this one isn't worth reading.
great review though
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”