Official Review: A Tale of Imagine by Howard Mack

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: The Lion Roared FREEDOM by Andr&ecirc; Black

Official Review: A Tale of Imagine by Howard Mack

Post by Mercy Bolo » 12 Jan 2018, 01:50

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Tale of Imagine" by Howard Mack.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A tale of Imagine by Howard Mack is a short story that falls into the science fiction genre. It is set in the magical realm of Spacial One where different creatures, both magical and non-magical reside.

The story is centered around Tolance, a Wizard who finds himself in trouble for failing to repay a loan. This results in him being expelled from his home. Witches are sent to his residence to evict him and force him to return to the Northern region where he originally came from. This eviction not only affects him but includes his army as well. They express their displeasure at being forced to go and live in a strange environment but they don't have a choice. The law must be upheld. The story then follows Tolance on his journey to the North.

What I liked most about A Tale of Imagine is that the font is really pleasing to look at and the cover is quite dreamy. The story also includes instances of inter dimensional travel but the positives end there. Everything else was a let down. To begin with, the story was quite painful to read. There are too many I'll constructed sentences like "It was the norm for the army to dwell close by but they would live all together separate lives." It would read better as "It was the norm for the army to dwell close by but they would all live separate lives." This is found on page 6, where the whole page is basically unreadable and ranks top among pages that need a round of editing.

Tolance is the main character but for him to be the only character mentioned by name throughout most of the story is another let down. Even Tolance's wife and son are not mentioned. When the witches came to evict Tolance, I expected a battle between him and the witches but Tolance seems to have walked out without even trying. This was a missed opportunity. It had me wondering, why have such a scenario yet it was clearly mentioned that Tolance was a powerful wizard?

The pacing of the story is also too fast and the 22 pages weren't enough to cover everything. Just when I got immersed in one scene, it came to an abrupt end and another one took over. This made the book read like a draft for another book, which I desperately hope it is. I can see great potential for this book if it were to be reworked.

In it's current state, it would be unethical of me to recommend this book to anyone. Lovers of the sci-fi/fantasy genre especially will be really disappointed. I therefore give it a rating of 1 out of 4 stars and I hope I'll see another edition in future.

A Tale of Imagine
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Enforcer by Valerie J. Wood
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 16 Jan 2018, 17:35

Man, I knew we were in major trouble when you started out by saying how pleasing the font is to look at...hopefully they accidentally uploaded their notes or rough draft...

Thanks for taking one for the team on this book!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Fountain Found by Allen Broderick

Post by kandscreeley » 16 Jan 2018, 18:33

Wow! I'm sorry this one was so disappointing for you. I can understand with ill conceived sentences. Plus 22 pages is awfully short for such a complex story. Hope your next one is better.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

inaramid
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: After They Go by J Mercer

Post by inaramid » 17 Jan 2018, 02:37

I agree with CommMayo. When one can't see anything positive about the book other than the FONT and the COVER...uh-oh.

Mercy Bolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Bolo » 17 Jan 2018, 03:53

CommMayo wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 17:35
Man, I knew we were in major trouble when you started out by saying how pleasing the font is to look at...hopefully they accidentally uploaded their notes or rough draft...

Thank you. I desperately hope the version I got was the draft.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Mercy Bolo
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Bolo » 17 Jan 2018, 03:57

inaramid wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 02:37
I agree with CommMayo. When one can't see anything positive about the book other than the FONT and the COVER...uh-oh.
From the cover, I thought this was one of those fairy tale type stories.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Mercy Bolo
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Bolo » 17 Jan 2018, 04:16

kandscreeley wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 18:33
Wow! I'm sorry this one was so disappointing for you. I can understand with ill conceived sentences. Plus 22 pages is awfully short for such a complex story. Hope your next one is better.
Thank you for your feedback. This book needs a lot of work.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: "Rope" by M. Ketsia Theodore-Pharel

Post by Gunnar Ohberg » 17 Jan 2018, 16:56

CommMayo wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 17:35

I was about to say the same thing. When your greatest accolade concerns the font, you know the book is in real trouble.

Darakhshan Nazir
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir » 23 Jan 2018, 03:52

I am a huge fan of fictional books. But I guess this one isn't worth reading.
great review though
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”