Official Review: Dragonfriend by Marc Secchia

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Re: Official Review: Dragonfriend by Marc Secchia

Post by Mary Garrison »

Not really my genre, but I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Thanks for the great review.
AlyxCaptain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AlyxCaptain »

I totally agree that fantasy novels can rely on prophecies too much. Still sounds like a good read
SLD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SLD »

Although this reviewer wanted to rate this book even above the available reading score, I won't be reading it. The fantasy genre, and books about dragons, just do not interest me.
Philippians 4:8
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds great, and I have no qualms with there being a prophecy whatsoever. We as humans always wish to know that we're destined for something and what that destiny is, but these prophecies show that sometimes it's best left to the imagination. Besides, I love dragons! Thank you for the insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review. It is an interesting question you pose...why is there always a prophecy to justify a sequel? It just seems that with any fantasy, there is always a prophecy or a prediction of the future.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the fact that these people are trying to establish peace after the coup. I also enjoyed reading the review as it features a young female protagonist, Lia, who challenges this male dominated landscape.
uniquevictor
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by uniquevictor »

DragonFriend is such a nice book .. always been a fan of dragons .. I love watching movies about dragons .. and this book just let me love dragons even more ..
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Dragon stories are becoming quite popular! This book sounds great, although I agree with you about fantasy books and their perpetual use of prophecies - it's getting old!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
lavonnamoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by lavonnamoore »

I really enjoyed the concept of the book, it seems to be closely related to the children's movie: How to Train a Dragon, in relations to the relationship between humans and dragons of a kindred nature. I think it would be a great read for any young person or adult who has a fascination with the mystical and seems to establish an elaborate plot.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

Reading books that involves relationships between humans and dragons might be a great idea but unfortunately, fantasy is not my genre so I'll pass. Great review anyway.
harrymadede
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by harrymadede »

the attachment between dragons and human are always amazing as dragons are fascinating creatures. how gorgeous and appealing they make the cover. cant wait to grab a copy. thumbs up to the author Marc Secchia
Lynsaysamson31
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsaysamson31.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Lynsaysamson31 »

Great review, I have started reading this and a few chapters in and I am hooked. I like the character Lia. She comes across as a strong willed female. Although I do agree that for 15 years old she seems more mature. I also agree that the map at the beginning is a great inclusion if it's anything like the maps in the Lord of the rings books and Wicked books then I will be referring to it often to help bring the book alive. Honest and great review, think I'm going to love this!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I'm never quite sure whether or not I will like stories featuring dragons; I note your high rating of this one. It's interesting that they're not portrayed as bad in this book, but are as complex as humans - possibly more complex.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Mo_ItsRenny
Currently Reading: Birthright
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Mo_ItsRenny »

Thanks for the review
I'm glad to know that dragons were portrayed in a good way and I like fantasy so I'm definitely reading the book.
IEVALINE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ievaline.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by IEVALINE »

My youngest son now is very much interested in stories about dragons. He still can't read, but he likes to listen about dragons. I think I will definitely read this book, so I will have some ideas to tell him late in the evenings, because I am running out of ideas. But storry about human and dragon friendship sounds very perceptive for both adults and children. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”