Official Review: Dragonfriend by Marc Secchia

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Dragonfriend by Marc Secchia

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragonfriend" by Marc Secchia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dragonfriend by Marc Secchia is a fantasy novel about the rightful rulers of Fra’anior, trying to regain power after a successfull coup by Ra’aba. Both sides have dragons to help. The story revolves around Hualiama, a royal ward, called “Lia” for short. It is set in a crater which was made by the impact of a comet. The dragons raised islands into the clouds and kept the bad gases contained below by the use of magic. The name of this place, as you might imagine, is Cloud-Islands.

Lia was taken captive during the coup by Ra’aba and was being transported by dragonship to an internment camp. While attempting to escape, Lia finds herself in a sword fight with Ra’aba. During the fight, Lia was badly wounded and then thrown overboard.

Flicker is a green dragonette, he manages to save Lia, and they become close friends. He introduces her to Amaryllion, the last of the ancient dragons, who sets her on the path to find what she needs to reinstate her family as the rulers of Fra’anior and get revenge on Ra’aba.

I really loved this story. Often in stories with dragons in them, they are cast as evil and everyone is trying to kill them. In this story there are dragons on both sides of the conflict working with humans and it is us humans that are portrayed as the inferior species. I found this concept fantastic, mirroring my own thoughts on how dragons would be. The story is fast paced with lots of action scenes that really jump out and grab the reader by the throat.

The story follows Lia almost exclusively, detailing her interactions with many dragons and lots of people. I found her character to be well thought-out, and her back-story was very pertinent to the story and well covered. Though I did think she acted too mature for a 15 year old. The other characters fared less well with back-stories, but I didn’t think the story suffered any because of this.

At the start of the book, the author provides a map of the Cloud-Islands. I found this to be very helpfull during the story, as Lia travelled between many different Islands in the pursuit of the knowledge and training that she required. These locations truly came to life in my imagination as the author described them so well. However, he also mentioned several new fruits but didn’t really tell the reader what they were like.

The one thing I didn’t like about this story was the inclusion of a prophecy. Why do these types of stories always include a prophecy? Can the authors find no other way to justify a sequel? That being said, it is only a minor gripe of mine. The book itself appears to be very well edited with only a few grammar mistakes. There were also a few occasions where the author contradicts himself. For example, Ra’aba commands two of his men to throw Lia overboard. Then he does it himself.

All that being said I want to give this book 5 or even 6 stars, as it was so good. Unfortunately, I can only rate this as 4 out of 4 stars. Anybody who loves dragons will find this book an excellent read, and I believe that anyone who likes fantasy books would enjoy this too. I may be biased, but I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t enjoy this book. I’m reading it again as I enjoyed it so much, and then I shall go on to read the rest of the series.

Dragonfriend
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like that this story portrays the relationship between humasns and dragons in a good light. I feel your sentiments about the inclusion of a prophecy.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
elle_12
Currently Reading: The Vatican Children
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by elle_12 »

DragonFriend is such a nice book .. always been a fun of dragon .. I love watching movies about dragon .. and this book just let me love dragons even more ..
SonnyLaurel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonnylaurel.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by SonnyLaurel »

I love books that potray dragons in good light. Where dragons are the revered creatures.
And most of all, a dragon attached to a chatacter.
Looking forward to reading it.
As I think of it, I envisage Eragon, Dragon mania, Deviant all rolled into one.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I like the concept of dragons on both sides, which reminds me of the future of Game of Thrones (at least in the TV series). I love the use of prophecies in stories, but I agree that it is too common. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like that there are good dragons in this one as well as the ones working for evil. The cover is brilliant, too! Thanks for a wonderful review. Sounds like a great book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I find it really appealing. And I am always into such fantasy novels.
Admirable review!
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A fantasy that portrays dragons in good light sounds refreshing. The concept of dragons that keep the bad gases contained by the use of magic sounds original as well. It is great that the author included a map of the area, and don't mind the prophecy as long as the book stands on his own. Thank you!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
etsri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by etsri »

DragonFriend is such a nice book .. always been a fun of dragon .. I love watching movies about dragon .. and this book just let me love dragons even more
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I do like prophecies in stories, especially since they are usually not to be taken literally; it makes it interesting and leaves the characters and readers guessing. I think dragons are hard to write about without being childish, so I am glad that you found it enjoyable and well-written. It sounds like there is a lot of excitement happening in this book. I'm interested in reading about Lia and Flicker and more about the lands. Thank you for the review . :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. This is an epic fantasy with dragons, a coup, and finally a story that shows the dragons a good and helping the humans instead of evil creatures to be destroyed. I love dragons and epic fantasy so I grabbed my free copy congrats on being BOTD
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
donched3434
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by donched3434 »

Simply reading the review gives one the desire to delve into the book and start reading. The vivid descriptions given puts the book on a screen in ones mind. It makes for a great read to both gender as males can relate to the dragons and females can relate to Lia.
Ikekoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Ikekoku »

Dragonfriend

My idea of a dragon is a fire-spitting serpentine creature with wings. So they are hostile to humans and can only be killed by divinely selected humans like Saint George. But to have friendly dragons is intriguing if not fascinating, thus urging me to read.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

As always, I seem to be the only one not interested in reading books from the fantasy genre. However, your review was excellent and your enthusiasm toward the dragon characters is contagious. :-) I have downloaded my copy, and YES, I plan to give it a try. I'm dying to find out if the all the hype about dragons lives up to its name, in my mind. Plus, this might possibly be a good book to recommend to my students, since some of them are also lovers of the fantastic world of dragons. Do you think this would be an appropriate read for high school aged students? Thank you so much and keep up the great work!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

An adventure featuring a feirce 15-year-old girl who gets overthrown on a ship and is saved by a dragon? I love it! Who wouldn't love a friendship between a girl and a dragon? It's great to hear that a map was included and you found it helpful. I can understand your thoughts about prophecies, but as long as unique, I don't mind the repetition using prophecies in a book like this. I think you've conviced me that I should give this one a try! Thank you for the wonderful and enthusiastic review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”