Official Review: The Hunt for Winter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: The Hunt for Winter

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hunt for Winter" by KC Cowan & Sara Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Once I started The Hunt for Winter by KC Cowan & Sara Cole, I could not put it down. Even though this is the second book in a series, I never felt as though I were missing information. When I picked up the book, I thought that "Winter" referred to the season and that the quest was to bring the season back; however, I quickly discovered that Winter referred to a small boy born just an hour before the Vernal Equinox (beginning of spring). His twin sister waited until after the equinox to make her arrival and was thus named Spring.

From page one, I fell in love with both Winter, Spring and their mother, Queen Irene of Cabbage. The small family lives in the royal palace with loyal servants and one very old wizard, Seevers. Seevers is tasked with training Winter in the magical arts. It is thought that only two of the old wizards remain and that Winter is the only child wizard left. Anton, one of the last wizards and Queen Irene's husband, had passed away sometime before the twins were born.

Fast forward five years, and the real story begins. On the day that the twins are celebrating their 5th birthday, tragedy strikes. Winter is tricked into going off alone with a stranger. Who is Zarohdin, and what does he want with Winter? When Winter's disappearance is known the next day, Queen Irene, Seevers, and the queen's best friends set off on a perilous journey to recover the prince. Unwilling to be away from her mother, Spring smuggles herself along. What follows is adventure, magic, tragedy, and love. Zarohdin manipulates and exploits Winter, but to what end? What is his goal? The travelers meet with many dangers and find unlikely allies in unexpected ways. When the two story threads finally converge, all hope seems lost.

The plot moves quickly, but not so quickly that I couldn't keep up. Even though there were many characters with a backstory from the first book, they were so richly drawn, I felt that I knew each of them well. Information from the prequel was not spewed out in one irritating data dump nor was it left to the imagination. Instead only what we need to know to enjoy the second book was naturally woven throughout as necessary.

This book is a study in contrasts. Betrayal contrasts against pure love, and greed is seen next to selflessness. The heroes of the book are both male and female. Both genders work together without rancor toward the other. However, there is a strong message against the exploitation of females throughout. Two towns that must be passed through have counterparts in modern society. One town featured harsh penalties for any female who was not fully hidden or submissive to the male authority. The business of the other town was the exploitation of females through prostitution. Although the cultures of the two towns were not central to the overarching plot, they did go hand in hand with Zarohdin's ideology, making this book a social commentary.

I found no errors in spelling or grammar throughout the book and the editing is clean. Since the plot and characters are so strong, the writing is enjoyable, and it has a deeper message for those who are interested in more than a mere fantasy, I am glad to rate this 4 out of 4 stars. Even though some adult topics are introduced, they were tactfully handled without racy details. I would recommend this to young adult or possibly older teenagers.

The Hunt for Winter
View: on Bookshelves

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. For such a book, I it would be better for me to read the first book in order to completely grasp the storyline.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This sounds like an exciting read. The cover looks to me more like a historical fiction book so I'm glad I read your review as it is nothing like that.
trevdev
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by trevdev »

This is a book that can be transformed into a movie! I would love to read this book from beginning to end. This is book with much contrast and similarity in characters and thinking! Definitely get this book to have eye opening and heart racing feelings just like a movie!...
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I thought the book was a biography because of the cover. The title does make the first observer think the story is about something else. I thought it was about hardness of the heart. The plot does sound interesting with the possibility of Winter be a wizard. Thanks for this interesting review!
Meyerhe
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meyerhe.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by Meyerhe »

This seems like a really interesting read that I might a give whirl. I think I would start with the first book though because I would want to know everything from the beginning even if it isn't needed. This is also a very well written review. Its has given me inspiration on how to write my future reviews. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm jealous! I thought about reviewing this one several times. Now I wish I had. This sounds right up my alley. I'm going to put this on my to read list. I'm glad it was understandable even as the second in the series. Thanks for the great information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

Meyerhe wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 20:27 This seems like a really interesting read that I might a give whirl. I think I would start with the first book though because I would want to know everything from the beginning even if it isn't needed. This is also a very well written review. Its has given me inspiration on how to write my future reviews. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions.
Wow! Thank you for your kind comments! :oops2: It was very interesting - I enjoyed the book very much :)
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This sounds delightful! I liked the play on words there, where one thing isn't really what you'd expect. But with all the details here, I think I'd start with the first book.
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 11:53 I'm jealous! I thought about reviewing this one several times. Now I wish I had. This sounds right up my alley. I'm going to put this on my to read list. I'm glad it was understandable even as the second in the series. Thanks for the great information.
:) Sorry to make you jealous :mrgreen: It WAS a great read. thank you for your comments!
awinjalucy

Post by awinjalucy »

From the review the book seems really intresting with a good flow im now looking for the first book to start up and experience the adventure
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

Sometimes i wonder what parents teach their children in magical worlds as their kids are always getting tricked by nefarious characters to betray the ones they love. The description of the books makes it seem like it more about political intrigue of two cites in a magical setting and betrayal and love between naive characters.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Like that the male and female characters work together. Sometimes in books one overrides the other. Also nice is the adult topics being tactfully done. Your review has made me quite interested. Thanks.
Boydbunch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boydbunch.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Boydbunch »

Sounds intriguing with some bit of dreamy mixed with real meat and content. I would probably want to read prior to my 15 yo.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”