Official Review: Scions of Azazyel by Robert K Wheeler Jr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Scions of Azazyel by Robert K Wheeler Jr

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scions of Azazyel" by Robert K Wheeler Jr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War in Heaven is an epic mythological fantasy tale including all manner of supernatural beings. There are angels, demons, vampires, fairies, werewolves, and shapeshifters to mention just a few. This novel by Robert Wheeler is the first in the Scions of Azazyel series.

Angelica is mad at God for letting her parents get murdered. They were murdered in an attempt to get some information. With their deaths, Angelica and her twin brother, Jonah, are the only ones with the information that both sides want. The first Angelica finds out about this, is when a vampire corners her. An archangel comes to Angelica’s rescue and tells her that she and her brother are in danger.

Fearing the return of the vampire Angelica agrees to go with Gabriel to where Jonah is. Gabriel teleports them there and tells them that they are Nephilim and their father knew the location of Azazyel. Azazyel is the twelfth archangel, but he disobeyed God’s law and was buried alive as punishment. Satan, the leader of the bad guys, has sent his minions to locate Azazyel, and God has sent Gabriel to do the same thing. Both sides want him to join them in the upcoming war and Angelica and Jonah are the only ones who know where he is.

Robert has very cleverly woven together several different mythologies into a single myth. He does this by claiming that the archangels were known by several names. For example, the archangel Sandalphon is also known as Odin, Co-brother, and Together. This can lead to some confusion as there are far more names than there are characters. The author thoughtfully gives a list of all these names in the introduction, I found myself having to refer to it many times just to work out which archangel was present at the time.

The introduction was very hard to read, and I’m not sure even after reading it twice that I fully understand it. However, the style of the rest of the book is much easier to follow. Most of the book is made up of reminiscences as Gabriel explains to his party what really happened in the past. So it reads more like a collection of short stories, with the traveling of the party filling up the spaces in-between. This does give the reader a full understanding of the myth that Robert developed. What happens to the party during their travels is very exciting and well written, and gives me great expectations for the continuation of the series. I did find that the ending was very abrupt, it appeared out of nowhere, but Robert does include the first chapter of the next book to whet the appetite so that helps a bit with the abruptness of the ending.

Despite the confusion with the character names I really enjoyed this book and would like to give it a 4-star rating. However, there are many grammar mistakes throughout the book so I’m forced to give this a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I think this book would appeal to anyone who enjoys fantasy books. I’m not sure how religious people would react to it. Would they say well that explains why there were so many Gods in the past, or would they just call it blasphemy?

Scions of Azazyel
View: on Bookshelves

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This book sounds interesting. I like the mixing, with an explanation, of all the different mythologies and angels etc. It makes me curious, yet the poorly edited part would keep me waiting until they took time to edit.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review, I am interested in mythology so I think this book would be in my wheelhouse, I will remain mindful that I may have to to read it more than once. Thank you
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Character names can definitely get confusing. It's always interesting to me when authors combine several mythologies into one. Sounds like a book I might have to try. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

This book looks like a fun read. I like the concept of bringing different mythologies together. Before reading this review, I would have never thought that an archangel and Odin could be the same person. Thank you for the review.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I love mythology, but I've had bad experiences with books based on biblical figures. I'm always wary that books with the words "God" and "angel" will end up doing nothing but proselytize, and half of the time, I'm right. It doesn't seem to be the case with this one, but still, the grammatical errors are a deal-breaker. This might not be for me.
Mwanaidi
Currently Reading: My trip to adele
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanaidi.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Mwanaidi »

Mythology where the author weaves Scandinavian mythology with Jewish/christian mythology.. Sounds complex but also sounds like a fascinating read. The plot also sounds quite killed. Nice review
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
airwoman311
Currently Reading: Gates to Tangier
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airwoman311.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by airwoman311 »

It sounds like this book has a lot of promise with a good story line but is a bit confusing to the reader if they aren't well-versed in multiple cultures' mythologies. Unfortunately, I've read books where I had to go back and forth for reference, and I ended up never finishing the book. Luckily, I'm good with mythology so I might just have to check this out.
liway9100
Currently Reading: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by liway9100 »

Thank you for a good review. I am quite interested in this book but what might back me off is the confusing character part. This happens to me at times and no matter how good the book is, i will lose my momentum. But I will give it a try. Good job for this review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”