Official Review: Primeval Origins by B.A. Vonsik

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Primeval Origins by B.A. Vonsik

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Primeval Origins" by B.A. Vonsik.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the midst of a paleontology dig in Bolivia, South America, the crew discovers something remarkable. Something that could potentially answer the ultimate question – were humans alive when dinosaurs were?

Just as quickly, the reader is transported back in time and gets to know young Rogaan, who is excited for his first Hunt. He wants nothing more than to prove he can be part of the Kiuri-Ner, a protector of the outer walls and road ways. In this Hunt, he might be able to do so. However, when battling enormous creatures and learning about a government take over, Rogaan realizes that life as he once knew has been completely turned upside down. Come follow Rogaan as he tries to grasp what his world is really like in B.A. Vonsik’s Primeval Origins.

Let’s start with the description of the book, which was somewhat misleading. Perhaps the author intends to further explain the origin story of mankind, but this is not the sense I got from this read. The society in which most of the book takes place seems like a fairly developed one that has been around for years. There are leaders, laws, and ways to train the younger generation. Yes, there is mention of big, wild creatures that the reader can assume are dinosaurs, but it was just a few scenes while the majority of the book is Rogaan and others running from place to place.

Written in the third-person narrative, the reader is given an inside look into Rogaan’s mind. He is a likable and relatable character, who shows some growth by the end of the book; this I really appreciated. Unfortunately, most of the secondary characters didn’t stand out. I could easily remember certain characters for the roles they played throughout the novel, but some simply blended with one another. It did not help that the author choose a large number of complex names. For example, Tusaa’Ner, Anubda’Ner, Anubda’Za, Zagdu-i-Kuzu, and more were used. To add to the confusion, uncommonly-named animals, such as, niisku, tanniyn, featherwings, leapers, and others were also included. Most times, the author did give a short description for these people and animals, but there were so many, it was quite challenging to keep up.

I found the scenes where Rogaan and others were confronting the enormous, dangerous creatures the most entertaining. Within these scenes, the author gives his audience a taste of what it could have been like if humans and dinosaurs coexisted. These scenes, though, were few and far between.

The writing style and plot flow could been improved. Within the text, the author told his scenes, rather than showed them. Every feeling was stated, every thought was said, and every inference was told. Showing, not telling doesn’t mean the book needs to remain a mystery for the reader, but perhaps if the focus of complexity was done in the showing aspect rather than producing an overwhelming amount of uncommon words, then this would have been a more thought-provoking story. Due to this style, the plot did not flow very well. There were several overly-described scenes. It became really frustrating when scenes that should have had the adrenaline going were bogged down with too many details. This led to some choppiness and disruption while reading.

Lastly, there were several errors throughout. Apostrophes in odd places, words with extra spaces in between them, run-on sentences, and inconsistent hyphen usage were found. One of example of inconsistent hyphen usage would be in the following phrases: “black cloaked rider”, “black-cloaked rider”, and “black- cloaked rider”. These phrases were used within a couple of pages of each other. Errors, of course, can interrupt the flow and this book was no exception.

After much consideration, I give Primeval Origins a 2 out of 4 stars. For those who enjoy low fantasy books and don’t mind the usage of uncommon names, you might find some enjoyment here. For those who would like more fantasy, less character confusion, and more of an origin story, you might want to pass on this one.

Primeval Origins
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike when authors try to tell instead of showing. That really does slow the story down. It's too bad that the blurb was misleading as well. That really is an important aspect of any book. Thanks for the information. It was a lovely review as always!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

A very good, critical review. This archeological book has bit resemblance with strong heart as writers of both books show unusual interest in archeology. You can also check my reviews.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Very insightful review! The premise of the book seems so intriguing. It's a shame that the story wasn't executed well on a few different levels. When a plot doesn't flow well, it often becomes hard to understand. Also, the complex names would confuse me since it would be difficult for me to remember who's who. Glad you were able to enjoy some parts of the story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Telling the scene, rather than showing it, is one of my pet peeves with authors, and somehow seems to be the hardest thing for some to change. It is very hard to get into the story when you are constantly kept on the outside by the way the story is told. Add to that all the weird names, etc. and it is likely I will give this one a pass. Thanks for the review.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 08:45 I dislike when authors try to tell instead of showing. That really does slow the story down. It's too bad that the blurb was misleading as well. That really is an important aspect of any book. Thanks for the information. It was a lovely review as always!
Thank you, kandscreeley! I was so excited for exploring how humans and dinosaurs could have been introduced to each other and expected there to be more interaction between the two species. It's too bad because this had such potential to be more. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 10:46 A very good, critical review. This archeological book has bit resemblance with strong heart as writers of both books show unusual interest in archeology. You can also check my reviews.
Thank you, Sarah Tariq! That's an interesting point you made between the two books. I didn't care for that one either.
As a side note, we don't request members to look at our personal reviews. :tiphat:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 10:48 Very insightful review! The premise of the book seems so intriguing. It's a shame that the story wasn't executed well on a few different levels. When a plot doesn't flow well, it often becomes hard to understand. Also, the complex names would confuse me since it would be difficult for me to remember who's who. Glad you were able to enjoy some parts of the story.
Thank you, bookowlie! It is such an intriguing premise that has a lot of promise. It looks like this one is the first of a series, so hopefully, there are some improvements made for the next one!
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Kat Berg wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 14:56 Telling the scene, rather than showing it, is one of my pet peeves with authors, and somehow seems to be the hardest thing for some to change. It is very hard to get into the story when you are constantly kept on the outside by the way the story is told. Add to that all the weird names, etc. and it is likely I will give this one a pass. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Kat Berg. I think you're right - telling, rather than showing is probably one of the hardest things for some to understand and carry out. I remember teaching my students this and it was hard to change their mindsets. Once they did grasp the concept, their writing improved so much! :)
Heidi

Ryth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ryth »

I was confused until the end about the way the book started but I think the final chapter gave me a clue. White Gold Wielder? The rest of the book is a rousing good story. Characterization is excellent. However, I felt like slapping the hero in the face a number of times and telling him quit being so dense.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I also prefer when writers show instead of tell the readers. Sounds like there is too much going on against this book, including the editing. Thanks for the honest review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Ryth wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 01:58 I was confused until the end about the way the book started but I think the final chapter gave me a clue. White Gold Wielder? The rest of the book is a rousing good story. Characterization is excellent. However, I felt like slapping the hero in the face a number of times and telling him quit being so dense.
Are you referring to this book or White Gold Wielder?
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Yolimari wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 02:30 I also prefer when writers show instead of tell the readers. Sounds like there is too much going on against this book, including the editing. Thanks for the honest review!
I also prefer the showing, not telling. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts! :)
Heidi

obiora111
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by obiora111 »

Thank you all for your sincere review about this book.. I love to read adventurous and story book but I don't like getting myself confused at the middle of the story due to complexity.. thanks for the information. :techie-reference:
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This is an excellent review! I got a sense of what the story was like as well as how the story was structured as a whole. I had to laugh at the names. Sometimes, I feel like authors rely on weird names as a crutch to establish the "cultural atmosphere" or the time period. I consider this a bad sign, and your "telling-not-showing" comment is the final nail in the coffin. I'm going to pass on this one.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”