Featured Official Review: Domani by Carolyn Gross

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisachhakchuak
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Domani by Carolyn Gross

Post by Lisachhakchuak »

wow....already, the first sentence got me hooked. :)
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Lisachhakchuak wrote: 28 Dec 2017, 14:04 wow....already, the first sentence got me hooked. :)
:D It happens that way sometimes!
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

JadeK wrote: 28 Dec 2017, 10:17 Thank you for such a great review! This made me interested in reading this book. I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan but this book sounds like it might make me a fan after all!
While I grew up on a lot of Star Trek and can appreciate sci-fi movies like, say, the original Planet of the Apes pentalogy, I've not actually read much sci-fi. It's one of the genres I've been branching out into this year, a little bit, so this was a good read for someone who's only visited this genre occasionally. :)
EmilyAnne128
Currently Reading: The Road to Paradise
Bookshelf Size: 2785

Post by EmilyAnne128 »

Beautiful review. The beginning paragraphs sounded like a well-written story rather than a review and made me want to read the book all the more. I am curious. Would you consider this book as more of a fantasy or a science fiction? Your description made it sound more like fantasy, except for the distinct placement on another planet. Would you care to explain a little more?
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Good review! However, I don't think this book is for me.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

EmilyAnne128 wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 04:11 Beautiful review. The beginning paragraphs sounded like a well-written story rather than a review and made me want to read the book all the more. I am curious. Would you consider this book as more of a fantasy or a science fiction? Your description made it sound more like fantasy, except for the distinct placement on another planet. Would you care to explain a little more?
Gee, thanks!

And, now, I'm sure I answered your question days ago. Been having a little trouble with my replies disappearing, so if my answer is late or it actually shows up twice somehow, I beg your pardon. :)

I can't say if this book is "more" sci-fi or fantasy. I consider it to be sci-fi because of its setting in a particular galaxy, the story's interplanetary relations/revolt, technology that must be futuristic, and creatures that are the product of science. The story also has much of a fantasy feel, however--for reasons I could probably articulate better if I were more of an expert in the fantasy and sci-fi genres. :D But as an inexpert reader of both genres, I think fans of both can enjoy this novel.
readerwhowrites
Currently Reading: Out of Character
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by readerwhowrites »

Thank you for your review. The plot/setting strike me as an elaborate metaphor-sounds intriguing.
FallingDream14
Currently Reading: Leviathan Wakes
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fallingdream14.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by FallingDream14 »

I'm a sucker for books set on other planets. Might have to check this out!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a great character-driven science fiction story. It's good when books do work as standalones, yet leave you wanting more in the rest of the series.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
zuhaa_malik

Post by zuhaa_malik »

Domani is a science fiction story which is about 2 completely different planets and is written by Carolyn Gross.
Planet no. 1 is a little far away from the sun but Planet no.2 is way closer to sun and is covering planet no .1 and basically protecting it .
There is a Doyen in the story who acts as a prophet and tell a hopeful News but at this time he didnt told about hope but danger.There is a girl named Lulu in the story who sees the doyen to be assassinated.
Until this is what i Understood.This is an honest reply or you can say post from my side .
Zuhaa :tiphat:
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

This seems like an interesting science fiction story that shows how a society can develop solely based on their position to their sun. From the review i can see that this novel handles this concept properly as well as dealing with the characters paradigm shift when their world is changed.

Nice review.
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Lysander99 wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 21:13 This seems like an interesting science fiction story that shows how a society can develop solely based on their position to their sun. From the review i can see that this novel handles this concept properly as well as dealing with the characters paradigm shift when their world is changed.

Nice review.
Thanks! Now I'll have to remind myself to keep my eyes open for the next book in the series. :)
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review. I'm interested in reading more soft sci-fi with good worldbuilding, and this looks like a possibility.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Sitowise
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sitowise.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Sitowise »

Your intellect is excellent, but I don't think that's a book of me. You provide a comprehensive summary of the book which is bound to hook many people. Since the book is Sci-fi and fantasy based, I don't think I can keep up. Keep it up, u did a well carved review.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A planet is hidden by another large planet from the sun. This line in review about the book seems hard to imagine about the world that this book describes. The word "imperceptibly" which means change that is so gradual that it cant be perceived. i guess author may have had some other idea to use that word

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”