Official Review: The Elsewhen Gene by Gary Bullock

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: The Elsewhen Gene by Gary Bullock

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elsewhen Gene" by Gary Bullock.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Gary Bullock, The Elsewhen Gene is a science fiction and romance novel about parallel universes and everlasting love. Laura Elizabeth Austin, known as Laura Bess, and Elijah Lucas Grant, known as Lije, are not average kids. They are geniuses with extraordinary abilities. Laura Bess has the ability to side-step to parallel universes. Lije has the ability to see the past and the future. Their exceptional abilities match their brightness and interest for the mysteries of space and time. They love each other profoundly and believe themselves to be soulmates. They plan on becoming a couple of famous scientists. Sadly, Lije looses Laura Bess in a plane crash. Years later, Lije is an astrophysicist who works tracking space junk at Mellstrom Radar. He and his coworker, Dr. Evan Williams, discover a black hole that will end Earth. Out of the blue, Laura Bess reappears in Lije’s life. She had been living in a parallel universe. But with Lije’s world ending and the cruel Agent Folter pursuing Laura Bess, they need to find a new world in which they can be together.

The Elsewhen Gene consists of two parts. Part one is about how Laura Bess and Lije reconnect after losing each other and look for another parallel universe. Part two focuses on the story of Walter Osborne and Gabriella Tucci. They met during World War II in Lesina, Italy, and fell in love. However, Walter allegedly died in a German airfield. Gabriella refused to believe he was dead; therefore, she went to live in America. She searched for him for more than three decades. Laura Bess and Lije try to reunite these lovers after all those lost years.

Bullock’s portrayal of Laura Bess and Lije was my favorite aspect of this book. When they were children, they had wisdom beyond their years. I loved reading their conversations about eternity and time. Innocence, sincerity, and a bond of pure love are also components of their rare personalities. After they become adults, they maintain the qualities that make them special human beings. Even though it is a risk, they help Walter and Gabriella. I commend the author for their unusual depiction. It is refreshing to find characters with such rich minds and hearts.

The secondary characters play important roles in the two main storylines of this book. Bullock soundly developed their stories. All of them kept me interested for different reasons. I felt sad every time Dr. Evan Williams remembered his wife. I thought that Mama Kajiwin brought beautiful elements of Native American spirituality to the main story of the first part of the book. Hopelessness came to my mind when I read about what happened to Walter and Gabriella during WWII. Maureen Fannelli made me smile with her sassiness. I detested Albert Pericule because he is a nasty person.

The main theme of The Elsewhen Gene is the existence of parallel universes. Bullock’s talent comes through in his elaboration of this scientific theme with a modern and smooth writing style. He writes about it in a way that a layperson can easily understand. The story does not sound like an academic lecture as other science fiction books that I have read. I liked that the chapters are short and straightforward. In addition, the author maintains a good amount of suspense throughout the novel.

Even though I had a pleasant time reading this book, I thought part one and part two could have been released as two separate books. As I stated previously, part one focuses on the story of Laura Bess and Lije. Meanwhile, part two focuses on the story of Walter and Gabriella. When I started reading the second part, I thought I was reading a sequel. Another issue I had with the story is that it left me with some questions. I will only give two examples because I do not want to get into spoilers. Why Lije is able to see the past and the future? Does Walter have Lije’s ability? Besides these two reservations, I found a few errors in the book.

I rate The Elsewhen Gene by Gary Bullock 3 out of 4 stars, although I wanted to rate it 4 stars. I cannot give it the full stars because it reads like two separate books, left me with some questions, and has a few errors. I loved the main characters of this novel because of their pure hearts and genius minds. At the end of the book, the author says he is not done writing about Laura Bess and Lije. I hope he continues writing about them and their adventures. First and foremost, I recommend this book to nerds who want to identify themselves with special characters. I think it is also a bright selection for young adults and readers of science fiction and romance novels.

The Elsewhen Gene
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Parallel universe always ring a bell to me, very fascinating subject. The premises of this book is good. I believe this book can be recommended to anyone one who is in love of sci-fic. Thank you for the details.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
wescleo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wescleo »

the review of "the elsewhen gene" looks good enough since it give the hunger to find the book and read for the science fiction fans
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Although I love science fiction, time travel isn't one of my favorite themes. I'm not really sure why. Probably there are too many headaches when it comes to time travel and parallel universes. Still, this sounds interesting. It does sound like it could be two separate books since the author doesn't really relate part 1 and 2. Thanks for the information. I think I'll skip this one for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
HOSEANYATU
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 94

Post by HOSEANYATU »

The review is good.My self i love science fiction. but the story is based on the star and earth which need more thinking and crativity to ready and write the review. congratulation for good work
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 04:32 Parallel universe always ring a bell to me, very fascinating subject. The premises of this book is good. I believe this book can be recommended to anyone one who is in love of sci-fic. Thank you for the details.
I think the theory of parallel universes is fascinating. I liked how the author discussed it in the book. Thanks for stopping by!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 08:32 Although I love science fiction, time travel isn't one of my favorite themes. I'm not really sure why. Probably there are too many headaches when it comes to time travel and parallel universes. Still, this sounds interesting. It does sound like it could be two separate books since the author doesn't really relate part 1 and 2. Thanks for the information. I think I'll skip this one for now.
I understand that time travel and parallel universes are not subjects everyone likes. In my case, I like them because my maternal family talked so much about such themes.

I really think the second part could have been released as a sequel.

Thanks for stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

HOSEANYATU wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 11:17 The review is good.My self i love science fiction. but the story is based on the star and earth which need more thinking and crativity to ready and write the review. congratulation for good work
Thanks for your kind words and stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Maggyblessed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maggyblessed »

:roll2: Hi, I have moved reading this book . very informative though I thought it could be better as two different books
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This book sounds intriguing. I'm not really a fan of time travel books, but parallel universe is somewhat different, and the story behind it sounds like it really draws you in. I love when children are portrayed as intelligent and special, and your review has made me curious to see how the author has achieved this.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Sounds like my kind of book. definitely going to add it to my reading list.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Kat Berg wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 21:43 This book sounds intriguing. I'm not really a fan of time travel books, but parallel universe is somewhat different, and the story behind it sounds like it really draws you in. I love when children are portrayed as intelligent and special, and your review has made me curious to see how the author has achieved this.
I really liked how the author portrayed Laura Bess and Lije as children. Besides their genius minds, there is something pure about them. Thanks for stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Thanks for the review. This is the first i've heard of this author, but I think i will still check this one out. I'll try any story once lol
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Parallel universes and everlasting love? It's great to hear that the author portrayed the main characters well with "rich minds and hearts". I also like how the author writes in a way that a layperson can understand. Sometimes, I find Science Fiction reads are a bit too heavy on the science part and my interest drops. I also found it interesting that you found this would be better suited as two separate read; the length and amount of information can definitely affect the readability of any book. Too bad about the errors, too, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this read regardless!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

hsimone wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 03:40 Parallel universes and everlasting love? It's great to hear that the author portrayed the main characters well with "rich minds and hearts". I also like how the author writes in a way that a layperson can understand. Sometimes, I find Science Fiction reads are a bit too heavy on the science part and my interest drops. I also found it interesting that you found this would be better suited as two separate read; the length and amount of information can definitely affect the readability of any book. Too bad about the errors, too, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this read regardless!
The book is 315 pages long, but I really thought the second part could have been a sequel. Even though the stories are related, the second one is new and different. Yes, I enjoyed it mostly because of the great characters, particularly Laura Bess and Lije. Thanks for stopping by! :D

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”