Official Review: STARLESS and Bible Black by Gerard DiLeo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Official Review: STARLESS and Bible Black by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if the stars suddenly went out? What if the planets and the galaxies disappeared into a bible black sky? Night after night, a constant reminder of the starless sky pierces your soul. It shouldn’t affect you in the least, but perhaps it might. Starless and Bible Black by Gerard DiLeo describes our predominantly religious world and the aftermath of the disappearance of the stars.

The stars disappeared one night, all at once. Mysteriously, only the moon, sun and the earth are left. DiLeo’s encompassing short stories follow its effect on lovers, philosophers, zoologists, stock brokers, and men of religion. Why are we left? Are we the next to disappear? Theories begin to develop from all corners of the globe: Is God to blame? Or are there other phenomena at play? Readers follow along as the world slowly changes as something that has virtually no physical effect on our world alters the psychology of humanity.

The author writes such expressive sentences throughout the book. One of my favorites occurs right at the beginning, “They were our legacy, the stars. Our progenitors. We were in the continuum of stellar ontogeny, perhaps mere side effects: perhaps crowning achievements.” The author leaves a lot for the readers to interpret. Many of the chapters are ended openly. The writing is eloquent, but repetitive. However, I believe the author uses repetition to further instill the unique perspective of the characters onto the readers.

DiLeo really covers all the bases in this book by examining a variety of characters and personalities. The author also includes a bit of a glossary at the end of the book to explain a few references that occur within each chapter. I appreciated this because readers will find a deeper connection between the plotline or a character and their own thoughts or knowledge. Because Starless and Bible Black is essentially a collection of short stories, we don’t get to see a true conclusion. Instead, we get to envision this new world along with the author and the characters.

I don’t have any complaints about the book. I really enjoyed it. I noticed one error, but I believe that this book was still professionally edited. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book falls under the category of fiction, but it encompasses so many different aspects of religion to astronomy that I think anyone could enjoy it. I found this book to hold a deeper meaning and I think that other readers would enjoy adding their own interpretations to the stories.

Since reading Starless and Bible Black, I have found myself looking up at the stars and wondering, “What if?” I grew up under the starry sky, but I know others don't know the world that exists between cloud cover and light pollution from the cities. I would certainly miss the beautiful twinkling lights at night, but would our world be affected like DiLeo imagines? Or would humanity carry on without the hopes, aspirations and encouragement of our stars?

STARLESS and Bible Black
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Afuglsan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This is quite an interesting story line. I can't imagine the stars just disappearing. I'm unsure about the short story format as well as the lack of a solid conclusion. I'm not sure if I would enjoy that or not. I'll think on it. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like the "questing of the mind" by the author, this attracted me the most. The "expressive nature" complements this book. Effective review by the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

I like your review more than I'd love the book. It's a good one but I am not into astronomy, much less a fictious one. Thanks for the wonderful review
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review. This really makes me want to read the book more. i will be adding to my shelf and checking it out. I would have normally passed this by, but now i'm going to look at it again!
Demann
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Demann »

Your review makes one want to love and read the book. But not really into fiction too. It would be a nice book for others.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds very intriguing. I will certainly check it out as time allows.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Wow thanks for the review - this really makes me want to read the book. It sounds like a really great read!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am curious about this book after reading the review. It sounds like it is in an interesting format. So it remains to be seen if I actually like it.
desonah12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by desonah12 »

Only reading the review brings chills to my spine. I want to read this book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”