Official Review: Across The Realm by Isobel Mitton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Re: Official Review: Across The Realm by Isobel Mitton

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Miriam. I do wonder if the author plans to resolve some if the prejudice in the next book, but I didn't want to stick around to find out!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like this science fiction book has an interesting plot, but the author’s outlook is rather gloomy. I would not like to read about gratuitous prejudice. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thanks for the great review which gave me a clear impression of the book. It sounds as if the world-building is cleverly done, with the division between the Northern and Southern hemispheres that couldn't be more different. The cliffhanger would have annoyed me too. I will decide to buy the next book in a series if I'm sufficiently impressed with the first one, so for my money, they all might as well be standalones. It's a shame too about the Naziesque society which no character questioned. I have seen a prediction that ethnic divides will disappear as the world becomes more mixed.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 07:51 Thanks for the great review which gave me a clear impression of the book. It sounds as if the world-building is cleverly done, with the division between the Northern and Southern hemispheres that couldn't be more different. The cliffhanger would have annoyed me too. I will decide to buy the next book in a series if I'm sufficiently impressed with the first one, so for my money, they all might as well be standalones. It's a shame too about the Naziesque society which no character questioned. I have seen a prediction that ethnic divides will disappear as the world becomes more mixed.
She definitely did good with the world building. It wasn't so much the prejudice that bothered me. It was the prejudice based on RACE. Also, it was the fact that everyone and I mean EVERYONE accepted it. I would think at least one character would try to stand up against it... It was odd. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I love sci-fi genre but after reading your review of this book, I'll exclude this one. I'll remember not to pick this book even if it might be on my shelf. Thanks for the comprehensive review and congratulations for the perseverance in reading, though your initial choice is to drop it like a hot potato. ^_^
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dolor wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 19:11 I love sci-fi genre but after reading your review of this book, I'll exclude this one. I'll remember not to pick this book even if it might be on my shelf. Thanks for the comprehensive review and congratulations for the perseverance in reading, though your initial choice is to drop it like a hot potato. ^_^
Thanks dolor! It was such a mixed bag for me. Good and bad.
—Neil Gaiman
atsabalfy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by atsabalfy »

I love the book, it needs more enlightenment.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”