Official Review: Across The Realm by Isobel Mitton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Across The Realm by Isobel Mitton

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Across The Realm" by Isobel Mitton.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It doesn't happen often, but once in a while I come across a book that leaves me with very mixed feelings. Across the Realm is one such book. Classified as science fiction, the book contains about 360 pages and is the first of a planned series.

The year is 2677, and the world has suffered a catastrophe in which the planet has been divided. The world now exists as a Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere; and the two could not be more different. The North consists of the people groups that we would recognize today. They have relied on technological changes to keep up with the ever-changing planet. The South, however, has evolved so much as to become almost alien. H2O is now deadly to them, and they breathe argon not oxygen. More importantly, they have developed an inner Light that forms a force field around their territory, serves as a weapon and keeps them healthy. They live for centuries and have telepathic abilities.

Unfortunately, the two Hemispheres just can't seem to get along. The North has been trying to find a way past the South's force field for many years, and the South is trying to protect Mother Earth and their way of life. Will these two sides be able to reconcile their differences? Who will be triumphant in this war of the ages?

The plot was very engaging. The two sides were each so unique that I had fun learning about their differences. The Southern Hemisphere particularly interested me as it was almost an alien species. It was fun to see how their biology helped enhanced so many qualities like speed, power and health. This alone was what kept me reading.

Now comes the hard part of the review - those things that could use improvement. Upon reading the first few pages, I came across several words that were foreign to me, Ndege and Askari being a few. I scanned the beginning and end of the book, but alas, no glossary. Sadly, it took me until the middle of the book to figure out most of the words, and even then, I'm not sure I figured out the author's sense of the word. This is always a drawback when the author uses words that don't exist in our language. It's clear that the author knows exactly what she's talking about; she just leaves the reader to try to figure it out on their own.

The second thing that bothered me was the pacing. While the plot was interesting and the different peoples unique, the story develops at a slow trot when it should be galloping at times. This may be due to the fact that this is the first in a series. The author is most likely taking her time to let the readers get to know the characters fully. However, for those that are looking for non-stop action, you may want to look elsewhere.

My biggest pet peeve about this novel, though, was the amount of segregation and discrimination from the different people groups. Not only did the Northern Hemisphere exhibit extreme prejudice towards the Southerners (and vice versa), but there was discrimination even within the groups. The North has taken a huge step BACK in time, and each race is segregated. The Caucasians keep to themselves and are called Aryans (yes, it very much is reminiscent of Nazi times.) They even call black people (who also keep to themselves) "******" at some points in the book. The Hispanics are further separated. In the South, there is a group called the Unenlightened. These people are considered inferior and are used for menial labor. Furthermore, there was not one single character that rose above any of these prejudices. It is up to the author as far as how they envision the future, but I found this version to be completely demoralizing. Even in our current society with so much hate all over, there are those who rise above this hate and prove that humankind does have some good in it. In the future (at least according to this author), we have all succumbed to our baser instincts, and I don't like it.

The last thing that I as a reader would want to know before picking up this book is about the ending. There is a very clear cliffhanger ending in this story. You just feel like you are finally getting to the apex when the story abruptly stops. As the first in the series, it is the author's prerogative to end the story in such a way. However, that does eliminate a fair amount of people from wanting to read this story.

Overall, I rate Across the Realm 2 out of 4 stars. If I had chosen to read this book on my own, I wouldn't have finished the story. Further, after finishing the entire novel, I have no desire to read the next in the series. The author's view of the future is too off-putting for me. However, those that don't mind that amount of prejudice and are willing to wait to see if it can be overcome might have a different experience with this book.

Across The Realm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Yikes! I seriously considered reading this book, but now I'm glad I didn't. Still, I'm sorry you had to go through that. And thanks for the warning.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Ms Tri. It's a good premise, but all the prejudice really got to me.
—Neil Gaiman
Itsmekristian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Itsmekristian »

I like the mood of the story and its a good premise
knelly
Currently Reading: Juvenile Delinquency
Bookshelf Size: 152

Post by knelly »

The story looks engaging.I'll gladly give it a trial just for my love for science fiction stories.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Hmm, I'm not sure how to look at it, according to this review I too am left with mixed feeling! Prejudice is not my style, I find it very difficult to be around people who use a lot bad words. I hope if I every come across this book I can pass through it. The review details are very much appreciated, good review and thank you for your opinion!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for the comments. The prejudice is overwhelming to me. Perhaps some can overlook it though.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Very insightful review. I don't like it when an author uses words that don't exist in the English language. For me, it takes me off track when I have to stop and figure out the likely meaning of a word. Hope the next book you read is more enjoyable!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks bookowlie. It's hard to discern the words from the clues the author gives.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I actually saw this book and considered picking it up to read and review, but I think, after you honest review, I'll pass. Great review, as usual. Pity that the book is not up to par though.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks kislany. It was a disappointment for me.
—Neil Gaiman
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Wow, Nice review. I like it. I like the way you told the story, it gives me ideas but as I keep on reading it, I agree on your side. Thanks.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks again pink!
—Neil Gaiman
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review. This seems like an engaging story and I will be getting into it more. I'm hoping with the cliff hanger that there is another installment
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It is sad that the author sees the world as going back to the days of prejudice in the future. Let's hope the next books will feature more enlightened characters.

For now, I'd concentrate on my reading backlog.

Thanks, Kandscreely, for another splendid review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”