Official Review: Across The Realm by Isobel Mitton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: "The Grace Emancipation" by Charlotte Hawkins

Official Review: Across The Realm by Isobel Mitton

Post by kandscreeley » 22 Dec 2017, 10:39

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Across The Realm" by Isobel Mitton.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It doesn't happen often, but once in a while I come across a book that leaves me with very mixed feelings. Across the Realm is one such book. Classified as science fiction, the book contains about 360 pages and is the first of a planned series.

The year is 2677, and the world has suffered a catastrophe in which the planet has been divided. The world now exists as a Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere; and the two could not be more different. The North consists of the people groups that we would recognize today. They have relied on technological changes to keep up with the ever-changing planet. The South, however, has evolved so much as to become almost alien. H2O is now deadly to them, and they breathe argon not oxygen. More importantly, they have developed an inner Light that forms a force field around their territory, serves as a weapon and keeps them healthy. They live for centuries and have telepathic abilities.

Unfortunately, the two Hemispheres just can't seem to get along. The North has been trying to find a way past the South's force field for many years, and the South is trying to protect Mother Earth and their way of life. Will these two sides be able to reconcile their differences? Who will be triumphant in this war of the ages?

The plot was very engaging. The two sides were each so unique that I had fun learning about their differences. The Southern Hemisphere particularly interested me as it was almost an alien species. It was fun to see how their biology helped enhanced so many qualities like speed, power and health. This alone was what kept me reading.

Now comes the hard part of the review - those things that could use improvement. Upon reading the first few pages, I came across several words that were foreign to me, Ndege and Askari being a few. I scanned the beginning and end of the book, but alas, no glossary. Sadly, it took me until the middle of the book to figure out most of the words, and even then, I'm not sure I figured out the author's sense of the word. This is always a drawback when the author uses words that don't exist in our language. It's clear that the author knows exactly what she's talking about; she just leaves the reader to try to figure it out on their own.

The second thing that bothered me was the pacing. While the plot was interesting and the different peoples unique, the story develops at a slow trot when it should be galloping at times. This may be due to the fact that this is the first in a series. The author is most likely taking her time to let the readers get to know the characters fully. However, for those that are looking for non-stop action, you may want to look elsewhere.

My biggest pet peeve about this novel, though, was the amount of segregation and discrimination from the different people groups. Not only did the Northern Hemisphere exhibit extreme prejudice towards the Southerners (and vice versa), but there was discrimination even within the groups. The North has taken a huge step BACK in time, and each race is segregated. The Caucasians keep to themselves and are called Aryans (yes, it very much is reminiscent of Nazi times.) They even call black people (who also keep to themselves) "niggers" at some points in the book. The Hispanics are further separated. In the South, there is a group called the Unenlightened. These people are considered inferior and are used for menial labor. Furthermore, there was not one single character that rose above any of these prejudices. It is up to the author as far as how they envision the future, but I found this version to be completely demoralizing. Even in our current society with so much hate all over, there are those who rise above this hate and prove that humankind does have some good in it. In the future (at least according to this author), we have all succumbed to our baser instincts, and I don't like it.

The last thing that I as a reader would want to know before picking up this book is about the ending. There is a very clear cliffhanger ending in this story. You just feel like you are finally getting to the apex when the story abruptly stops. As the first in the series, it is the author's prerogative to end the story in such a way. However, that does eliminate a fair amount of people from wanting to read this story.

Overall, I rate Across the Realm 2 out of 4 stars. If I had chosen to read this book on my own, I wouldn't have finished the story. Further, after finishing the entire novel, I have no desire to read the next in the series. The author's view of the future is too off-putting for me. However, those that don't mind that amount of prejudice and are willing to wait to see if it can be overcome might have a different experience with this book.

Across The Realm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

MsTri
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Favorite Book: The Prodigal Son
Currently Reading: Ninja Spy Cats
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: "The Haunted Painting on the Wall" by Devika A. Rosamund

Post by MsTri » 23 Dec 2017, 14:35

Yikes! I seriously considered reading this book, but now I'm glad I didn't. Still, I'm sorry you had to go through that. And thanks for the warning.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 23 Dec 2017, 15:30

Thanks Ms Tri. It's a good premise, but all the prejudice really got to me.
― Ernest Hemingway

Itsmekristian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Itsmekristian » 23 Dec 2017, 17:56

I like the mood of the story and its a good premise

knelly
2018 Reading Goal: 500
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: The Vampire Gaytooth
Bookshelf Size: 158

Post by knelly » 23 Dec 2017, 22:26

The story looks engaging.I'll gladly give it a trial just for my love for science fiction stories.

Sahani Nimandra
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: Emotional Intelligence
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 24 Dec 2017, 00:36

Hmm, I'm not sure how to look at it, according to this review I too am left with mixed feeling! Prejudice is not my style, I find it very difficult to be around people who use a lot bad words. I hope if I every come across this book I can pass through it. The review details are very much appreciated, good review and thank you for your opinion!
" The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without been lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without been harmed...since beginning-less time, darkness tribes in the void, but always yields to purifying light"

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 24 Dec 2017, 08:44

Thanks for the comments. The prejudice is overwhelming to me. Perhaps some can overlook it though.
― Ernest Hemingway

bookowlie
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: "Friends" by Bonita Treasure Murungi Arinaitwe

Post by bookowlie » 24 Dec 2017, 11:03

Very insightful review. I don't like it when an author uses words that don't exist in the English language. For me, it takes me off track when I have to stop and figure out the likely meaning of a word. Hope the next book you read is more enjoyable!
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 24 Dec 2017, 12:20

Thanks bookowlie. It's hard to discern the words from the clues the author gives.
― Ernest Hemingway

kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: "Out Of Silence" by Ruby Monroe

Post by kislany » 24 Dec 2017, 15:36

I actually saw this book and considered picking it up to read and review, but I think, after you honest review, I'll pass. Great review, as usual. Pity that the book is not up to par though.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 24 Dec 2017, 16:03

Thanks kislany. It was a disappointment for me.
― Ernest Hemingway

pinklover
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 1
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by pinklover » 25 Dec 2017, 05:47

Wow, Nice review. I like it. I like the way you told the story, it gives me ideas but as I keep on reading it, I agree on your side. Thanks.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 25 Dec 2017, 10:48

Thanks again pink!
― Ernest Hemingway

Whitney Marchelle
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: "Trip to Adele" by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Whitney Marchelle » 25 Dec 2017, 22:19

Great review. This seems like an engaging story and I will be getting into it more. I'm hoping with the cliff hanger that there is another installment

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: "The weakest link" by Fernando Neves
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 26 Dec 2017, 02:01

It is sad that the author sees the world as going back to the days of prejudice in the future. Let's hope the next books will feature more enlightened characters.

For now, I'd concentrate on my reading backlog.

Thanks, Kandscreely, for another splendid review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”