Review by prenaramesh -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Review by prenaramesh -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by prenaramesh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

End of the Last Great Kingdom is a fantasy novel set in Sulphurium, a realm full of creatures like orcs, trolls, elves, and dwarves. In this kingdom, we follow the adventures of Leaf, a young boy trying to earn the respected title of ‘Mage’ by proving he possesses some magical ability. He has enough to worry about with graduating from school when he is involuntarily dragged into the politics of the world he inhabits. This eventually takes him on a journey of self-exploration and a quest to discover more about his powers, identity, and legacy.

The author also gives a brief history of the kingdom and the different groups and individuals who have been in power and ruled the kingdom over the past thousands of years. This is at the very beginning of the book and gives us context about this completely new world. The story is essentially a coming-of-age story. It explores themes of friendship and loyalty. The main characters are children and they show remarkable development over the course of the book. The primary character is likable and I did end up rooting for him.

The book is a real page-turner. I finished the book in two days and I am looking forward to reading the sequels. The book ends on an interesting cliffhanger which did seem a bit abrupt. However, this is because I got so engrossed in the book, I didn’t realize it was nearing the end. It left me immediately looking up the sequels online to check if they have been released.

I will definitely recommend this book to someone who likes the fantasy genre. It did have some resemblances to the Harry Potter series because of the magic school with a close group of friends who learn and grow during their adventures. In spite of that, I wouldn’t classify this as a children’s book. It does have its fair share of violence but is not very graphic.

The only thing about the book that I didn’t like was that the book is clearly set in a fictional world filled with magic and no modern technology, and yet, the characters all speak like they live in twenty-first century America with the slang of teenagers today. This almost feels like an anachronism to me.

Overall, I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars, taking one star off for the point mentioned above and some basic spelling errors I found while reading.

End of the Last Great Kingdom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prenaramesh's review? Post a comment saying so!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

prenaramesh wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 02:37 It did have some resemblances to the Harry Potter series
Yes! Harry Potter and so MANY more!

I would categorize myself as a fantasy reader before any other genre and I was both sad and glad to find so many other books represented in this one. I found myself looking for a bit more originality out of Rose. I am understandably late to the game on this book's discussion but I created a forum topic to discuss the ideas in this book that mirror those in other books.
Last edited by Gravy on 29 Jan 2018, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link to review
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html

Post by prenaramesh »

nlhartje wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 21:02
prenaramesh wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 02:37 It did have some resemblances to the Harry Potter series
Yes! Harry Potter and so MANY more!

I would categorize myself as a fantasy reader before any other genre and I was both sad and glad to find so many other books represented in this one.

I haven’t read a lot of fantasy books, that’s probably why I didn’t see any other references.
On a related note, what are your recommendations for a fantasy newbie - it’s a genre I want to explore more.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

It sounds like a good book, great review. I do believe that slang can sound inappropriate in a book about magic, but to me it sounds more like a book for younger audience, so maybe author tried to get closer to them with it.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

prenaramesh wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 12:03
nlhartje wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 21:02
On a related note, what are your recommendations for a fantasy newbie - it’s a genre I want to explore more.
Oh my, so many suggestions. I would love to give you something that's right up your alley. Are you looking for something specific? For example, are you wanting vampires, fairies, mages, multi-race worlds, etc?

Many, many fantasies are series, so if that affects your choice let me know.

With no background info, I would suggest Name of the Wind as a start. It's all the hotness in fantasy these past years. It's a new book with a great story and a very easy read.

If you want something more classic, let me know!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”