Official Review: Anger to Rage by Alex R Price

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Anger to Rage by Alex R Price

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anger to Rage" by Alex R Price.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anger to Rage by Alex R. Price promises a lot. Listed in the science fiction category, the Amazon blurb promises "gifted children" and an Ex-Army Ranger tracking down an "unknown organization ... trying to kill him and his family." Unfortunately, the book doesn't quite live up to its expectations.

Gerald Rington has information about a captive being held in Columbia by a drug cartel. William Cordova thought he'd make a bit of extra cash to help his family, but the job didn't turn out to be as simple as it sounded. Gerald comes to his rescue, though, and Will learns that Gerald is his biological father. Sadly, two of Gerald's companions don't make it out of the skirmish alive. This leaves Gerald a little short-handed, so he asks Will to help him out in his future endeavors.

Will then meets the rest of the family. Gerald's wife is named Iska, and together they have 4 children. They are all uniquely talented, but none quite so much as Leala. Leala has a way of knowing what's about to happen and tends to direct the family to just the right place and time. At only 4 years old, Leala has a knowledge beyond her years; her attitude is still that of a 4 year old, though. Together the family goes where Leala tells them which makes for some interesting adventures.

I thought the idea of the plot was quite interesting. Children with special abilities helping their father? I love science fiction novels, so I thought this book would be great for me. Unfortunately, there isn't enough technology, other worlds, advanced civilizations or futuristic society to classify this as such. Yes, Gerald and his children have special abilities. But it's never really explained where they came from or why or how. It seems to me that it should be reclassified as action or a thriller.

Putting aside that it isn't science fiction, there were great big gaping holes in the plot. As I mentioned above, Leala has a way of predicting the future. She makes sure to stop and see a "friend" of hers named Nick. She goes to the trouble of introducing Nick (who is a grown-up) to a nice lady friend named Nikole that she says he should marry. Right after that meeting, Nikole gets mad at Nick and storms off. We never see either character again. It was disconcerting as I really did want to see if Leala's matchmaking was as good as her prediction abilities.

There also wasn't enough to tie the plot together. It seemed to plod on going from one adventure to another with no real cohesiveness. The blurb promises that the family fights against some "unknown organization." However, it really is unknown. This organization isn't even introduced to the readers; I guess it's just that secret.

Moving along, there were several scenes that were especially offensive to me as a reader and unnecessarily graphic. I am no stranger to abusive situations in books, but there should be some level of skill in crafting these. I could barely stomach reading through these scenes, and I really am not usually queasy about such matters. They were just extremely detailed and vulgar. While some of these were necessary to the furtherance of the plot, they could have been handled with much more delicacy.

Along those lines, there was one scene in particular that was neither necessary for the plot nor extremely realistic; in fact, it was downright offensive. In one instance, a woman imagines having sex (in detail) with someone she has only just recently met. I found this very distasteful as this woman has just suffered from horrific abuse for several weeks. Only a day or two before this scene, she was in the hospital having had major surgery because of this abuse. In her present frame of mind, I just can't fathom the thought that she is thinking of having sex with anyone without some major professional help.

Last but not least, there were a number of grammatical errors that led me to believe this book was not professionally edited. These errors were much worse at the beginning, but they are present throughout the novel. These included punctuation in the wrong spot as well as misspelled words.

While the plot has potential, the execution is severely lacking. Therefore, I rate Anger to Rage 1 out of 4 stars. In its current form, I am unable to endorse this book or recommend it to any type of reader.

Anger to Rage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I can see certain hiden agenda as you mentioned, the plot sounds intresting but as you said I too wonder has the author done enough justice to this book? And does the title of the book match the story?
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for commenting Sahani. The title is so-so. I mean it kind of matches the story, but at the same time, it doesn't really tell you anything.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 09:01 Thanks for commenting Sahani. The title is so-so. I mean it kind of matches the story, but at the same time, it doesn't really tell you anything.
Well that gives some picture.
Thank you for the review kandscreeley!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Aw, man. I had considered reading this book when I saw it. Now I'm glad I didn't. But I'm also sorry you had to suffer through that.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

That's disappointing. The plot for this sounded interesting and I was looking forward to reading a review for it. The lack of world building among the other issues that this book suffers from makes me take a hard pass on it.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Yeah... it just wasn't at all what I was hoping for. It's really too bad. Thanks for commenting all!
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This was an awesome review - really enjoyed reading it. Too bad the book was not well executed because like you mentioned the plot has potential.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Jaime!
—Neil Gaiman
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I'm attracted to the title of this book until I read your review which has saving me from having a heart ache should I read this on my own. Thanks for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks paradoxical!
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The blurb promises that the family fights against some "unknown organization." However, it really is unknown. This organization isn't even introduced to the readers; I guess it's just that secret.
For some reason, this really made me laugh. Some blurbs are just plain misleading. Is blurb-writing a career or what?

Thanks for the frank review, Kandscreely! I will pass on this one lest it might turn my calmness to rage.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

You know, I can only imagine what it would be like to try to sum up everything in a book in a few words that will really engage the reader. It would be difficult. Thanks Miriam!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”