Official Review: The Surge by Willow Rose

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: The Surge by Willow Rose

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Surge" by Willow Rose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surge by Willow Rose is a suspenseful thriller that is set in a fictional world eerily similar to ours. Written in the third person perspective, the story is told through various characters.

Martha and Carl Pattison are on a vacation at the Bahamas when the Chinese invade. Desperate to escape, they try every means possible to get back home to Ridge Manor, Florida. However, they don’t know that the Chinese have invaded their hometown as well. Meanwhile, their estranged daughter, Joanna, comes back home after ten years of having no contact between her parents or her brother. As Joanna struggles to cope with the loss of her husband, she not only has to deal with her family problems, but she also has to find a way to survive against the rising number of Chinese soldiers that appear each day. As the people of Ridge Manor try to figure out the cause of the invasion, they start to realize that the Chinese are not at all what they seem to be. Will the people of Ridge Manor figure out how to save their town or are they doomed to be under Chinese command for the rest of their lives?

What I liked best about this book were the characters and their interactions with one another. I liked how the characters dealt with their internal struggles, like losing a loved one, on top of dealing with external struggles like dealing with the invasion or family issues. This made the characters seem very realistic and believable. For a short read, the author did a great job in adding a lot of depth between the characters. I read the entire book in one day, so it was not that long of a book.

Moreover, the plot was unique in that it had an invasion of the U.S. by the Chinese. I have never come across a plot like this one, so it was interesting to read the author’s take on it. The author also included a lot of twists which added suspense and action to the story. At the end of the book, the author mentioned a few things that I thought were completely false, but actually turned out to be true. So even though the book is fictional, the author does add in a few facts.

Overall, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. Because of the intricate storyline and the realistic portrayal of the characters, I really enjoyed reading this book. Also, I didn’t notice any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. I would recommend this book to those who like to read dark fantasy novels.

The Surge
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Nice to see this! According to the review the author has approach in a different perspective which is good and the details mentioned in the review says about the book which is a great thing!
Thank you
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I'm intrigued. I wonder how the Americans will save their town from the invaders. This is definitely a book I would check out.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Characters really can make a book, so I'm glad they were done so well here. It sounds like an intriguing story. I'll have to look into. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 05:40 Nice to see this! According to the review the author has approach in a different perspective which is good and the details mentioned in the review says about the book which is a great thing!
Thank you
Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

From your review, this story is appealing to me. I never read something like this before and I'm curious how the Americans deal with this invasion.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I find this both amusing and disturbing because it depicts such a very possible scenario. I'd love to see what happens. Great review ZenaLei7.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Good review. I like the fact that the plot is unique and has a lot of twists here and there. Seems a good read.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”