Official Review: The Boronian by Ross Buzzell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: The Boronian by Ross Buzzell

Post by rssllue »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Boronian" by Ross Buzzell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An enthralling tale can be found in the science fiction work, The Boronian: A Rising Tide by Ross Buzzell. It is centered around the inhabitants of the planet Boron who are a race of beings that live with the common condition of electron deficiency existing within their atomic structure. This, however, is not a hindrance to their abilities in relation to what we as readers are used to in terms of optimum physical performance. They basically would make our world class athletes look like average Joes with their uniquely enhanced abilities of sense, strength, speed and the like. We definitely want to stay on their good side in any encounters we would have with them to say the least.

The main thrust of the story is the life of the High Prince Konner Lorian whom we follow as the protagonist throughout the book. We first meet him as a young boy who is beginning to exhibit even greater abilities than is expected of Boronians while he is being trained as a soldier. We end up leaping forward a few years in his life at various points in the story to follow his development in ability and rank in their military forces. At each stage though, there always seems to be a hindrance to his progression through either jealousy of his being the next in line for the throne or potentially an even more sinister opposition hiding in the shadows. In the end, Konner's story is a great tale that includes a plethora of combat situations that showcase his burgeoning abilities and sharp mind mixed with his balancing his duties as the High Prince. The only question is, will this end be a happy one?

The story of Konner and the rest of the Boronians is crafted quite well by Mr. Buzzell. The characters and their abilities are put on display right from the get-go and draw the reader into the narrative very well. It is a truly well designed universe that the author has put together in this story. In regards to this, the author does a very good job of laying out the back story of the various races and creatures that are found throughout the book. He obviously has put a lot of thought into the details of the universe that he has created which definitely helps to fill in the shades of the story to make it a full technicolor picture in the imagination. He even gives a type of glossary at the beginning of the book that goes a bit more in depth with much of this information which I believe brings more richness to the story.

The bad part of this book is all of the pervasive errors in punctuation that get in the way of the story. The biggest culprit is the apostrophe used with possessive nouns. There just aren’t any for the most part; and when they do show up they are often used incorrectly. The whole feel of the book as I read it was as though I was reading a working copy that had not been edited in any grammatical way as of yet. This was really distracting as there were such errors on almost every page of the story, often with multiple ones showing up on each page. There are other errors that pop up as well with things such as continuity, homophone mix-up, and the like, but the punctuation problem is by far the most prevalent in the book. It was all too often a huge distraction to the flow of the story.

Overall, I have to sadly give this book a 2 out of 4 stars. It is truly with regret that I do this as the story and its inhabitants are actually extremely engaging. I just cannot look past all of the errors that permeate the book from the beginning through to the end. If a huge round of editing was done on this story, then I believe that it would be one that would be a highly welcomed addition to the science fiction genre. If you enjoy rollicking space stories, then the meat of this tale would definitely be for you, however, you might want to wait until the editing process gets a bit further along than where it currently sits.

The Boronian
View: on Bookshelves

Like rssllue's review? Post a comment saying so!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Thank you for your detailed review. However, I don't think this book is for me.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you for your feedback. :tiphat:

I am sorry that the book doesn't seem to be one you would enjoy.

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

It sounds like the plot and character development was done well, and there is potential for this book. Unfortunately, I don't think I could read it in it's current state. The editorial oversights would be incredibly irksome.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like an interesting story. I myself have just read a story where the grammar was absolutely horrible. It really interrupts the story when that happens. It's really too bad. Hopefully this one can be edited and cleaned up! Thanks for the review. I always enjoy reading your reviews.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Charles Gold
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Charles Gold »

People learn new things daily, if you are not ready to learn, nobody will help you, coming across this awesome book is a great privilege, I hope to come across what will arouse mentally in this book
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

Haven't reviewed this book yet
:tiphat:
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you all for the great feedback.

This is truly a book of excellent potential once the errors get ironed out!

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

So sad for the punctuation errors. But at any rate, if the story could be understood, I could get along with that. It is like eating potatoes with some of the peels still attached. Anyway, some of the vitamins are on the skin. (lol) I am a fan of Sci-Fi stories. Thanks for the warning. You have made a very informative and enjoyable review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much for the positive feedback. It is most appreciated. :tiphat:

I hope you enjoy the extra vitamins if you get a chance to read the story. 8)

Elmo-reece
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elmo-reece »

This is really an interesting story, I did enjoy but the story need to be cleaned up & edited, but all the same is a good one
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I don't think that I will enjoy reading the book it is not my typical genre. Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Sorry to hear this review was only for 2 stars. It seemed interesting but a lot of errors could take the momentum out of the story and frustrate the readers, I don't think I'll be checking this out, my nerves would be shot lol
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This sounds like another book that needs an editor, not a reader. It's unfortunate that you had to go through that, but with the points you raised, this book seems like two or three copyreading sessions away from becoming awesome. I'd love to see it then.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Great editing would definitely make this great idea for a story into a great book! Of that I have no doubt!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”