Official Review: Sixth Prime by Dan O'Brien

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Sixth Prime by Dan O'Brien

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sixth Prime" by Dan O'Brien.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The galaxy is divided into two parts. The Sovereignty and the Commonwealth are on the brink of war. This is what Sixth Prime by Dan O’Brien brings to the table. This is the first book in “The Prime Saga” series. It is a sci-fi action novel set in humanities future and encompasses the whole galaxy.

The story opens by introducing the artist Ale Euclid. He lives on the planet Nyan and makes a good living for himself as a painter. That is until he is murdered, this gives rise to the enigmatic sentence “fifteen remain”. Sluga Mining Trust commissions one of their detectives to find out what happened.

In another part of the galaxy, the Dimidium-Bet waystation is attacked by the Sovereignty. The Commonwealth responds to the distress call and engages the Sovereignty fleet. Fleet admiral Leahy of the Sovereignty fleet issues the order to withdraw, but not before destroying the waystation.

In yet another part of the Galaxy, a prisoner is helped to escape from the prison he was in. Only to be led to another prison where his benefactors want him to enter and extract yet another prisoner.

The Sluga mining Trust set up a helium mining facility on a long dead ice-moon. The only problem is, the ghosts of the Moror, the original inhabitants of the moon start causing problems. They are led by “The Devourer” and they attack the mining staff.

All of these parts lay the groundwork for a complicated story where there are two plots running concurrently, though each plot seems to the same though with different players. The main plot involves the Initiates against the Primes. At the start of the story, there are 16 Primes.

This is an epic story, with many characters involved in many different situations. At first, there is little overlap between the parts, but as the story moves on they start to come together. I found keeping track of everything at the beginning to be quite hard, but as the story moved on it became easier. There are many diverse characters, all three dimensional, with very distinct characters. The interaction between these characters is very convincing and helps to keep the plot moving forward at a brisk pace. You will never be bored while reading this.

I especially love the descriptions of the epic space battles. At times I really thought I was there and had to hide from the onslaught happening all around me. I found very little I didn’t like unless you count the ending. It is very obviously left wide open for the follow-on books bringing very little closure to what happened in the book.

Despite being left open for the follow-on books I really enjoyed this novel and can’t wait to read the rest of the series. I only found two very small grammar mistakes in the whole book. There also was one part in the court where Fleet Admiral Leahy was accused of over 400 counts of genocide, and over 200,000 counts of attempted genocide. I find this number to be very unlikely, and think the author used the wrong word in genocide. I could be wrong though so didn’t count it as an error, just as something that seemed wrong at the time of reading it. This means that I am very willing to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I believe this story will appeal to anyone who likes sci-fi, epic space battles, or even stories about good versus evil.

Sixth Prime
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Good review. Sci-fi is not really my cup of tea but I think I might give this book a chance.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is definitely one that sounds a little bit complicated. That's not always a bad thing, but you definitely have to prepare for it. I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jebolina
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jebolina.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jebolina »

Good review, keep it up. I love action.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

400 counts of genocide and 200,000 counts of attempted genocide! Leahy is one busy man. Maybe he is a descendant of Hitler!

Sci-Fi stories are really getting more and more complicated. I don't know if I have the energy and memory power to keep up with this one.

Thanks for the action-packed review, Emie!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Despite the excellent rating, this would be a difficult story for me to read. Thank you for the insightful review though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I agree with the others who said that this sounds complicated. I don't think I can find my way out of it. I'm still reeling from processing all those Game of Thrones data, I may not have enough space in my head for all these details.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Miriam Molina wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 18:38 400 counts of genocide and 200,000 counts of attempted genocide! Leahy is one busy man. Maybe he is a descendant of Hitler!
She is a woman!!!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Emie Cuevas wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 00:52
Miriam Molina wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 18:38 400 counts of genocide and 200,000 counts of attempted genocide! Leahy is one busy man. Maybe he is a descendant of Hitler!
She is a woman!!!

I knew it! Women can do anything and everything, lol! Seriously, it's a wonderful surprise to know she's a woman. Hurray for women power! But wait, is she the villain here?
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Miriam Molina wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 10:58
Emie Cuevas wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 00:52
She is a woman!!!

I knew it! Women can do anything and everything, lol! Seriously, it's a wonderful surprise to know she's a woman. Hurray for women power! But wait, is she the villain here?
I agree that women can do great things as well. nice review and thank you very much for doing your review. You gave me an idea.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

Very good review. I like the idea of the novel but the many different story lines is not something I would enjoy

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”