Official Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aluria" by Tyler Cook.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aluria by Tyler Cook is a batman type novel, except in this case the lead protagonist has supernatural powers. Written in the third person, this novel provides thrills, supernatural entities and artifacts, and a straightforward plot though with an unexpected twist at the end.

A young couple, Tessa and Jason are just starting to get to know one another when there is an attempt to kidnap them, by means of a supernatural wind funnel. The funnel whisks them away to where a hooded man waits for them. Raiz claims he is after ultimate power! In a heroic attempt to save the life of his girlfriend, Jason puts himself between Tessa and Raiz. This act summons to Jason a being from another dimension, Aluria, who helps Jason save his girlfriend.

Realising that he now has great power; Jason decides to go off on his own to learn how to control it as he doesn’t want to hurt anyone. For ten years Jason trains before returning home. His mission is to protect his home city of Canton and to do that he needs resources. As the sole survivor of a family that founded the largest industry in Canton, Jason sets about recovering his company and amassing the wealth he needs to continue with his mission.

Jason’s mission brings him face to face with Tessa again, as she too is trying to improve living conditions in the city. As they try to reconnect after such a long time, Raiz appears again and tries to kidnap Tessa. Jason again saves her with Aluria’s help, but this time Raiz too has some help!

I love the way that Jason and Aluria have melded together to become one. I find it fascinating and the descriptions by Tyler really bring everything to life. I also liked the way that even though Jason had melded with Aluria, they didn’t seem to be unbeatable. In most of the conflicts, they seemed like they were getting their asses kicked, and they survived by the skin of their teeth.

I found several grammar errors throughout the book. This interrupted the flow a bit as I had to work out what the author meant, but even so, I believe that this book deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I think this book would appeal to anyone who loves stories about heroes, especially the Batman type stories. I also think anyone who loves stories about extra-dimensional beings would get a kick out this book.

Aluria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

Great science fiction book. Great review too it creates curiosity of what else is in the book. Great work keep it up.
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

What in the world is a "batman type book" with two protagonists and supernatural powers? This review left me confused about the novel.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love sci-fi, but I'm not really into traditional superpower/superhero books. Nice review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mwanaidi
Currently Reading: My trip to adele
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanaidi.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Mwanaidi »

Batman kind of book with superpowers? This sci fi/fantasy would definitely reel me in
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

It sounds really interesting, thanks for the great review. I going to have to get this one now.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Interesting! I like stories about the characters having superpowers. Good review by the way
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Who doesn't love a hero? I like that Jason made a conscious decision to leave and master his powers without putting anyone else in harm's way.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

So the "power" is actually a sentient being? That's different, in a way. And the two characters melding into one you say? Curious.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The lead protagonist gains supernatural power when merging with an ancient spirit named Aluria, and he did that to save his girlfriend! Sounds like a good book for YA and fans of the genre. I like it when the descriptions bring everything to life. Too bad the few grammar errors interrupted the flow of the tale. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Superheros, villains and Extraterrestrials in an adventure sounds good to me. I'll be adding this to my TBR list and congrats on being BOTD
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
mohammedaslam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mohammedaslam »

An awesome review about a story centered on supernatural powers. The review highlights the strong points of the story as well as the errors in the book. As such, readers get a good insight on what to expect when reading the book and why they should buy this novel.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Now, that's love! Jason wants to save his love, so he allows an extra-terrestrial spirit to enter his body! Now, he has to worry about an evil sorcerer...poor guy. Can't get a break! I'm glad you found the melding of Jason and Aluria to be well done and they were able to work together well. Too bad about the errors throughout and how it disrupted the flow of the story. Glad you were still able to enjoy the book regardless. Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
amanda1106
Currently Reading: Alien in the Delta
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by amanda1106 »

Re:offical Review:Aluria by Tyler Cook

I was a little bit confused when you used "a batman type". I was expecting to see the kind of self centered guy but reading onwards it explains how you the characters have similar trait. This book is going to be interesting. Keep it up
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Incredible heroic fiction novel that I loved reading not only once, but twice. I loved the way the author wrote the protagonist and rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. The onlinebook.org review of this book was written masterfully and made me appreciate the book even more.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”