Official Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

End of the Last Great Kingdom is the debut novel by author Victor Rose, and the first book in The Brimstone Chronicles. Published on April 18, 2017, this 332 page dark fantasy novel is refreshingly true to form. It has all of the captivating elements that I love so much about this genre; the vivid world building, unique characters and creatures, plenty of epic battles scenes - just to name a few. The characters are all well developed with plenty of background information provided, enabling the reader to properly form a connection with at least the more prominent ones.

In the words of the author, “Of all the ways to start this tale, the only one that makes sense is to start at the beginning.” (Page 1, End of the Last Great Kingdom) The Author thus takes the reader on a journey through the history of Sulphurium. This detailed introduction leads us on a path of war, destruction, and politics. We learn of the many pure races and hybrid races, with the enlighten being those who consider themselves superior because of their ability to master the elements.

With the stage now set, the author begins his tale of the poor and orphaned enlighten who had become a ward of the school. With no true knowledge of his actual age, he could only guess that he was at least thirteen. Due to his lack of memories, he also had no name. Those at school called him Leaf, which in orcish means someone who does not belong. Because Leaf had not yet awaken, meaning he had not mastered an element and could not use magic, he had fallen victim to bullying. It was the last day Leaf could qualify for mage School by passing one of the three mage trials. Not wanting to be forced to leave the only place he knew, Leaf decided to choose the trial which would end this part of his life one way or the other, the trial by duel. In one hundred years, no child even survived this third trial. To his own amazement, though, Leaf miraculously survived. He thus became Brimstone, the mage name he chose for himself.

Still poor and without any real magic, Brimstone continues to struggle, even as a mage. A freak accident, where a creature kills several of the students, complicates his life even more. Brimstone becomes a political scapegoat when he is forced by The Order to make a false confession. He’s then on the run, fighting one epic battle after another, while also still (literally) trying to find himself. His Crimson teammates and friends, Heat and Neutron, endure trials of their own as they work to clear Brimstone’s name and help bring peace back, if at all possible.

This is a tale of loyalty, friendship, bravery, and trust. The author pulled me in from the very beginning, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this book. The writing is masterful. It flows smoothly from beginning to end, with no dull moments. I would definitely recommend this book to fans of dark fantasies, epic battles, and magic. I must caution, though, that the violence can be pretty descriptive – although, I did not personally find it over the top – and there are allusions to forced sexual encounters, though not openly described. Because of this, the content is probably not quite suitable for some younger readers, and should be approached with this awareness.

Because I did find several errors in the text while I was reading, I cannot give the rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Instead, I give 3 out of 4 stars with the disclaimer that the story itself is worthy of 4 stars. The ending provides the reader with enough suspense to foster a healthy anticipation for the next installment. I can hardly wait to read what is in store for these amazing characters!

End of the Last Great Kingdom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Since this is the December BOTM, I will read this book. From your review, I expect not to be disappointed.

Thanks for the exciting review, Christina Rose. Hey, you don't happen to be related to the author, are you?
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Miriam Molina wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 14:02 Since this is the December BOTM, I will read this book. From your review, I expect not to be disappointed.

Thanks for the exciting review, Christina Rose. Hey, you don't happen to be related to the author, are you?
No, lol. Rose is actually my middle name. 🙃
I hope you enjoy the book! Thanks for stopping by my review!
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Thanks for the review Christina. Will also be reading the book soon and now I have a reason to start.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A dark fantasy featuring a mage school student without magic, unique creatures, and plenty action sounds quite the read. Too bad about the errors. Does the book stand on its own? Thank you for the nice review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

So glad to hear the sexual encounters are not openly described as I'm just starting to read this book!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
Mwanaidi
Currently Reading: My trip to adele
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanaidi.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Mwanaidi »

I definitely love fantasy, and tales of people who make the most of their circumstances despite everything. So yes, I will definitelynread this book inshaa Allah. A fantasy book without magic, that is quite a fete! :wink:
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Ivanhipe1018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivanhipe1018 »

ktrae910 wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 07:46 So glad to hear the sexual encounters are not openly described as I'm just starting to read this book!
Why you so glad?
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. An epic fantasy full of magic and adventure sounds awesome. I like the premise, an orphan who doesn't know anything about his self and is learning as he goes. Going on my TBR list congrats on being BOTD
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
dauntlesswitch
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauntlesswitch.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David
Reading Device: B01M9IIPZ8

Post by dauntlesswitch »

I love magical reads like this one! This has been on my TBR list for so long and I can't wait to grab my copy! Thanks for the great review!
The music fills me up, quieting all the extra noises in my life, making my heart swell larger and larger until there’s nothing left of me but ears and a soul.
— Erin Watt
Latest Review: "The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I am intrigued by this book. I really need to try it, but I have so many on my to read list right now! How do you make time for them all?? Still, it's book of the month. I need to read it! Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JulieJulie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JulieJulie »

Christina Rose's Official Review of "End of the Last Great Kingdom" beckons us to a world of dark fantasy, inviting us into the life and journey of "Leaf", later known as the self-appointed "Brimstone". The orphan and ward of the school who with a measure of luck and uncertain hope, enters a trial which he ultimately survives. This novel denoting pressures of epic battles, dark famtasies, magic and forced sexual encounters, are Christina encourages the discerning reader, not to be made available to younger readers with impressionable minds. It is a tale that draws one into a fantastic adult world so descriptive and exciting, the reader salivates for the next instalment. I enjoyed Christina's review.
wykin
Currently Reading: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by wykin »

With this I think I'm in for this book. It's gonna keep me busy this holiday.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A dark fantasy with well-developed characters and epic battle scenes sounds intense! Poor Leaf and fallen victim of bullying because he can't use magic? Sounds sad, but it's great to hear that this orphan was able to survive the third trial and becomes a mage. It's great to hear that the writing was smooth with no dull moments. However, I feel the description of violence might be a bit much for me. Too bad about the errors, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I like it when first books have good and open endings for the sequel books.
Thanks for the review. I'll try this book.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”