Official Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Re: Official Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by jennyd2003 »

Thanks for the good review. This one pulled me in from the beginning as well. I can't wait to finish it up!
h1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by h1st »

If you like the adventure-fantasy genre, then this book is definitely for you. It is like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and X-Men combined in a book. Despite some similarities in the characters and general feel of the story, the author manages to weave a tale with an original plot and interesting characters. Based on your review, I bought the book although I am not a fan of this genre and I found the book compelling enough to finish and an enjoyable light read. Thanks!
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This doesn't sound like my kind of read or a story that would interest me, but I am glad that you enjoyed reviewing this book. Great review!
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block

Post by jwalker73 »

Dark fantasy and magic are not genres I read, however, the plot sounds intriguing and is bound to appeal to readers who enjoy escaping to a different realm.
Maulyne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maulyne.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Maulyne »

I think i willtry this book.As per the review.the unique characters vivid building descriptions and the adventure and struggle of Brimstone i hope I will definetly love it .Thanks for the review
docfatima
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19764">The Duke's Holiday</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docfatima.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by docfatima »

“Of all the ways to start this tale, the only one that makes sense is to start at the beginning.” this lines draws you to explore and i am eager to start this journey from the beginning...
Charles Gold
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Charles Gold »

I believe this book titled End of the Last Great Kingdom is a must read for everyone, it's really anticipating! With what I've seen, the book is really loaded.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Leaf @ Brimstone's struggle to survive is what captivates me to wanting to read this book. Good review Christina Rose!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
violet-trey19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by violet-trey19 »

:?: Good review about 'End of the Last Great Kingdom'.The book is scifi dark fantasy.Lots of epic battle scenes,amazing characters and different creatures.Story has adventure,friendship,loyalty and suspence. :arrow:
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

gali wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 07:44 A dark fantasy featuring a mage school student without magic, unique creatures, and plenty action sounds quite the read. Too bad about the errors. Does the book stand on its own? Thank you for the nice review!
It can stand on its own, yes, because there is a certain amount of fulfillment and closure to one of the problems faced by Brimstone. However, it does end on a cliffhanger, and there seems to be so much more to delve into that I would probably not suggest not reading further. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 08:17 I am intrigued by this book. I really need to try it, but I have so many on my to read list right now! How do you make time for them all?? Still, it's book of the month. I need to read it! Thanks for the review!
I know exactly what you’re saying. There’s so many good books out there! I’m sure I’ll never catch up on my list of books to read, especially since it's constantly growing. If you read it for BOTM, or just because, I hope you enjoy it. I made it through the book pretty quickly, so you may be able to fit it in. 🙃 Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 09:37 First thing Christina, you are also Rose, as the author is also Rose, are you related? Your review is excellent. I have pledged to read the book first thing I get the chance, so much more now after reading your review. Brimstone is my kind of character, the underdog, rising to prominence from the ranks.
Rose is my middle name, lol. So, no relation to the author. 😉 I hope you enjoy the book, and appreciate you sharing your thoughts!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

JuliaKay wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 11:22 :D This is a wonderful description of the book. Thank you for clarifying that the 3/4 rating was for the errors not the story itself. I would disagree that the writing is masterful, however. I thought the story was a little cliche, like another telling of a familiar tale and that the words chosen weren't unique. I do think it has potential though.
I completely embraced this book, writing style and premise included, but I know we all can’t agree on everything! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and opinions, and am glad you find potential in the work.
Mulash92
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mulash92 »

The book gives another insight on effects of intermarriages this is because when it was only the elves, orcs and humans everything seems to be peaceful. However when the elves decide to marry with the orcs and the orcs with the humans then trouble begins. With the original breeds feeling that they are better than the offsprings and looking down on them.
TIGER999
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Winchester Mansion Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 146

Post by TIGER999 »

Sounds like a wild ride for dark fantasy fans. Intrigued about how a young orphan with no memory of his past & no magic survives his trial and fares in this violent environment. Thanks for an interesting review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”