Official Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nataliecannon13
Currently Reading: An Arsène Lupin Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 1189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nataliecannon13.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Re: Official Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by nataliecannon13 »

I've seen this book on the sidebar so many times and your review is really great! I like fantasies, but I'm wary because a lot of books set out to re-invent the LOTR or Harry Potter wheel with their world-building. Was End of the Last Great Kingdom good enough that you going to read the next one? :techie-studyingbrown:
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

prettysmart wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 12:42 I must say that the title of the book itself is an "icing on top" for the story's setting and this review made it even more captivating for readers who are thirsty for adventurous fantasies like myself.
Thank you for your kind words, and for stopping by my review. 😊
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

nataliecannon13 wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 12:14 I've seen this book on the sidebar so many times and your review is really great! I like fantasies, but I'm wary because a lot of books set out to re-invent the LOTR or Harry Potter wheel with their world-building. Was End of the Last Great Kingdom good enough that you going to read the next one? :techie-studyingbrown:
Thank you! Yes, I am planning to read the next book as soon as I know it is out. I truly enjoyed this one.
obiora111
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by obiora111 »

It's a nice book and a must read.
spudlight
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by spudlight »

This is a great review! The premise of this books seems so interesting, I'll have to check it out. Grammar errors are something I can ignore as a reader, putting it on the shelf. :techie-reference:
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

Great review! The book sounds very interesting. I don't normally read stories about young people, but this one sounds like it is mature enough to hold my attention and not aggravate me. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. I'll keep it in mind for some blog coverage.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Christina Rose wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 00:57 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

End of the Last Great Kingdom is the debut novel by author Victor Rose, and the first book in The Brimstone Chronicles. Published on April 18, 2017, this 332 page dark fantasy novel is refreshingly true to form. It has all of the captivating elements that I love so much about this genre; the vivid world building, unique characters and creatures, plenty of epic battles scenes - just to name a few. The characters are all well developed with plenty of background information provided, enabling the reader to properly form a connection with at least the more prominent ones.

In the words of the author, “Of all the ways to start this tale, the only one that makes sense is to start at the beginning.” (Page 1, End of the Last Great Kingdom) The Author thus takes the reader on a journey through the history of Sulphurium. This detailed introduction leads us on a path of war, destruction, and politics. We learn of the many pure races and hybrid races, with the enlighten being those who consider themselves superior because of their ability to master the elements.

With the stage now set, the author begins his tale of the poor and orphaned enlighten who had become a ward of the school. With no true knowledge of his actual age, he could only guess that he was at least thirteen. Due to his lack of memories, he also had no name. Those at school called him Leaf, which in orcish means someone who does not belong. Because Leaf had not yet awaken, meaning he had not mastered an element and could not use magic, he had fallen victim to bullying. It was the last day Leaf could qualify for mage School by passing one of the three mage trials. Not wanting to be forced to leave the only place he knew, Leaf decided to choose the trial which would end this part of his life one way or the other, the trial by duel. In one hundred years, no child even survived this third trial. To his own amazement, though, Leaf miraculously survived. He thus became Brimstone, the mage name he chose for himself.

Still poor and without any real magic, Brimstone continues to struggle, even as a mage. A freak accident, where a creature kills several of the students, complicates his life even more. Brimstone becomes a political scapegoat when he is forced by The Order to make a false confession. He’s then on the run, fighting one epic battle after another, while also still (literally) trying to find himself. His Crimson teammates and friends, Heat and Neutron, endure trials of their own as they work to clear Brimstone’s name and help bring peace back, if at all possible.

This is a tale of loyalty, friendship, bravery, and trust. The author pulled me in from the very beginning, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this book. The writing is masterful. It flows smoothly from beginning to end, with no dull moments. I would definitely recommend this book to fans of dark fantasies, epic battles, and magic. I must caution, though, that the violence can be pretty descriptive – although, I did not personally find it over the top – and there are allusions to forced sexual encounters, though not openly described. Because of this, the content is probably not quite suitable for some younger readers, and should be approached with this awareness.

Because I did find several errors in the text while I was reading, I cannot give the rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Instead, I give 3 out of 4 stars with the disclaimer that the story itself is worthy of 4 stars. The ending provides the reader with enough suspense to foster a healthy anticipation for the next installment. I can hardly wait to read what is in store for these amazing characters!

End of the Last Great Kingdom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
I really enjoyed reading this review! What a shame you didn't feel you could give the book four stars, though, because it sounds like you really enjoyed it and that you thought the writing was very high quality. Whenever I see a three star review I tend to immediately look for the "but"!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Thank you all for reading my review! I hope you’ll check out the book :)
@londonmartine - I would have loved to give this book 4 stars, even with the errors. They were all fairly minor, and didn’t take away from my enjoyment. However, because of the number of errors, regardless of how minor, OBC wouldn’t allow me to choose 4 stars - if there are 10 or more errors, you can not give full rating.
I get it, but wish I could have.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

This book is action oriented illustrated by the many epic battles.This fact makes the book seem interesting. The development of characters makes the story to flow and the fact that it leaves one in suspence triggers curiosity. This is a good review.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Kemunto lucy wrote: 02 May 2018, 02:18 This book is action oriented illustrated by the many epic battles.This fact makes the book seem interesting. The development of characters makes the story to flow and the fact that it leaves one in suspence triggers curiosity. This is a good review.
Thank you for your feedback! :)
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

The book sounds like an intriguing mix of Tolkien, Rowling, and Anthony. Who could resist that? I'm in! It's going straight into my "Want to read" shelf. Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

Thanks for the great review. I really enjoyed reading this book. I agree that it is not for very young readers, but I definitely think teens and adults will love it.
silvaharon
Currently Reading: The Mask of Perpetuity
Bookshelf Size: 563
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvaharon.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by silvaharon »

A captivating dark fantasy novel with characters that grow as the story progresses telling a story of friendship and bravery
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Thank you for the warning about the violence and the sexual encounters. This book sounds exciting.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I have also read this book and really liked the story, although I found it disturbingly familiar in some ways to a certain other popular fantasy series. Still, I enjoyed it and definitely agree that it is not to be recommended for younger readers. Thanks for the great review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”