Official Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
readerwhowrites
Currently Reading: Some Danger Involved
Bookshelf Size: 126

Re: Official Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by readerwhowrites »

Thank you for your review, and I'm glad you liked the book, but I'm not hearing what sets this apart from any other fantasy novel. I sense the presence of Harry Potter all over this.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

I read in awe the deftly written review. It gives me considerably lots of useful information for understanding the book, let alone reading it. Thank you for the enjoyable read.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Roggyrus wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 00:34 I read in awe the deftly written review. It gives me considerably lots of useful information for understanding the book, let alone reading it. Thank you for the enjoyable read.
Thanks so much! I appreciate the kind words. :)
Readingtoon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Readingtoon »

Oh i thought this book was an inspirational book not a novel. Your review has cleared me on that. Thanks
sherif olabode
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by sherif olabode »

I really enjoyed this book, I loved how it combined the magic and fantasy of seen in books like Harry Potter with the blood, gore and battles seen in books like Game of Thrones. The overall premise of the book is a race war and young mage "Brimstone" that is the key to ending it. The characters in this book are highly developed, you get their fully backstory and learn what makes them act they way they do. The book is over 300 pages and it just book one in the saga, so even the smallest of characters you are given a little bit of a backstory on them so there is no filler characters each has a specific reason for being in the story. The setting is highly detailed as well and this is very important since the characters are pretty much always traveling.

If you are a fan of harry potter, but wanted something way more mature then you will like this novel, but I will say that some may not like this novel since it is VERY similar to harry potter, the first basic similarity is the group, Brimstone, Heat and Neutron.... which as you can see is three just like Harry, Ron and Hermione. Second, both go to magical school, in this book its Central, in Potter is Hogwarts. Third, Brimstone has to search for his fractured soul in order to become strong enough to defeat the order, and in Potter of course he has to locate the different horcrux to defeat the dark lord. But I will say the similarities do end pretty much there and that is because this story is a lot more mature than HP ever was since there is so much death in this book, and the deaths are very detailed and very gory. You have people stabbed in throats, peoples limbs being cut off, and oh you can forget the rotten corpses.

So even though this book is focused around young teens, like 13 years old, this book is probably not the best for kids of that age. But as an adult if you wanted a more mature harry potter then this is definitely the book for you.

The only real problem I had with the book, is that sometime the different characters and locations can get muddled and confusing of who is who since in the novel peoples name change as they take on new roles so it can be confusing to remember whose storyline you are reading about and the characters travel a lot and they often go to new places and then to places they have already been so the picture of the land gets confusing, so it would be awesome if the author had included a map at the beginning so you could tell the distances between places described in the characters travels. Time is another one that gets a bit confusing, since it is said to take weeks to get somewhere but then two pages later they are there, but the author will then use 10 pages to describe on day event, so dates would have been nice to.

So overall I would give this novel a solid 4 out of 5 stars, And I an definitely looking forward to reading the other novels in this series to see what becomes of Brimstone and all the other characters.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

Excellent review! Your description of the story and how it fits into its genre is very helpful. This sounds like the perfect gift for my best friend. Thanks!
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Amy_Jackson »

I love books that show a great deal of imagination from the writer, and masterfully crafted. I often wonder, if this is not a real life event, how do these story lines pop up in their head?? This is another great one, I've marked it for future reading!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Thank you all! I hope you each enjoy reading this novel! :)
Nienow93
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nienow93.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nienow93 »

Thank you for the review. By looking at the cover this does not look like a book I would read, but by reading your review this book does look like something I may enjoy. Looking forward to starting this book.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

Thanks for the great review! Magic, fantasy, and excitement--it sounds like a great read. Hopefully the grammatical errors aren't too distracting because otherwise it sounds very entertaining. I look forward to starting it!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Thank you all, and I hope you enjoy the book. The errors are not distracting, but it is part of the review process to make mention of them, and rate accordingly.
twitchlet
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twitchlet.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by twitchlet »

I love your description of the book. Totally drew me in! I could tell that you thoroughly enjoyed the content! Thanks for your review! This will definitely be my next read.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

twitchlet wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 13:02 I love your description of the book. Totally drew me in! I could tell that you thoroughly enjoyed the content! Thanks for your review! This will definitely be my next read.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy the book!
Mark258
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mark258 »

Based on the description
This book will be worth reading :)
shalomgracious
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shalomgracious »

Thanx for the review... great story love it!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”