Official Review: Die To Live Again by David Crane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Die To Live Again by David Crane

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Die To Live Again" by David Crane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine the world you know suddenly ravaged by a nuclear attack from an unknown source, leaving behind a smoldering radioactive wasteland with humanity on the brink of extinction. In the apocalyptic sci-fi novel Die To Live Again by David Crane, the main character, Tanya Gray, must face such a world, along with a small number of other survivors. Set in the near future, this gripping fast-paced narrative drops us amidst a scenario which is terrifying precisely because it is so realistic. As she and the other survivors make their way to a handful of underground sanctuary shelters, Tanya must adapt to a new way of life, and a new political atmosphere amidst chaos and turmoil.

Life within the sanctuary shelter takes a turn toward the dystopian almost immediately. Just as confusion and panic would reign in a real-life nuclear fallout, details emerge gradually within the community, breeding distrust and mutiny. The survivors must deal with establishing new systems of government, supplies rationing, death and illness from radioactivity, and violent competition over resources and power. As we come to discover the new state of the world following the launch of nuclear weapons, we experience the same shock, horror, disgust, anger (and eventually acceptance) that the characters must face.

Things take a turn when Tanya and another survivor become involved in a rebellion against the leaders of the sanctuary and are exiled to the radioactive surface of the earth. She and the other survivor face death either by radioactive poisoning, or at the hands of the nomad bands of humans that remain. However, they discover something that gives them new hope and a chance at survival - a new form of life unearthed by the tectonic shifts that resulted from the nuclear blasts. Access to this amazing resource gives humanity a hope that they did not previously have, and a chance to rebuild a civilization on the war-ravaged earth. However, this is not possible until the evil powers that started the war are apprehended, and Tanya and the other survivors must use their newfound resources to fight the final battle for humanity.

Despite being somewhat picky with my sci-fi, the plot of Die To Live Again immediately drew me in and held my attention with the same momentum until the end. The timeline within the narrative progresses rapidly, and several years pass during the story. The author skillfully uses a mix of descriptive language, dialogue, and combat/action scenes to move the plot forward. Despite the storyline being simultaneously intricate and emotionally intense, it is straightforward and easy to follow. Characters are introduced gradually, so we are not forced to learn a bunch of names and personalities all at once, though the cast of characters is fairly large.

One of the most interesting elements is how half-way through the story the entire feel of the narrative changes, as if switching genres. The first half is a gritty and realistic projection of our society as it would react to a sudden nuclear attack. The author’s imagined world is built with a great amount of practical detail, and as readers it is easy to imagine ourselves in the characters’ shoes. As the more fantastical elements are introduced in the second half of the book, the mood alters greatly, and the focus turns more toward revenge against the evil forces. While these later parts were exciting, I was less able to personally connect to this portion of the book. Both portions of the book contained a skillful mix of action sequences and psychological analysis, but I enjoyed the psychological elements within the first half more, simply because they related to scenarios in which I could imagine myself.

Some of the important themes within this book include the questioning of faith in a world filled with despair, and the shifting meaning of good and evil in a fight for bare survival. There are important lessons regarding the responsibility that comes with power - ones relevant and especially poignant in the tense political climate of our current world. I would not recommend this book for readers younger than the older teens, for a number of reasons. Primarily, there are several graphic scenes of violence and combat, including a rape scene and more than one suicide. Also, because the book deals with heavy topics like global nuclear annihilation and mass genocide, younger readers would likely find it traumatizing.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, and would have given it a perfect score if I felt as invested in the second half of the story as I did in the first. Once it began to take on more fantastic elements, I lost some interest and a few of the plot twists were predictable. I found a handful of grammatical errors throughout, though these were not particularly distracting. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy both dystopian novels as well as science fiction, and who would be interested in a unique blend of the two. This is a riveting and fast-paced story full of action, adventure, and a bit of romance, with a plot that would also translate well onto the big screen.

Die To Live Again
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

This is a great book though very terrifying since it is almost realistic though it is a science fiction. The use of nuclear weapons is a reality in our current society and what they cab do is devastating to say the least. Also the book shows how humans cannot survive in radioactive contaminated areas. This should be a warning to all humanity of what some of the weapons we make can be our downfall. Also the book shows how humans love or lust for power to the point that they cannot help each other but fight to protect their own selfish interests. Great review thanks for the great job.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like something I would enjoy despite the fact that it is similar to other books. I'll have to look into it. Great review, thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for the detailed review. You had me when you said that the events take place in the near future. That's a little creepy.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Fatchii
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fatchii »

It is great and a bit scary because if you come to put yourself on it you will imagine how it was in such situation because it can happen in real life.
Matt D Prinne
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Matt D Prinne »

I cannot wait until I read this book.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I read your review with a sort of grim acceptance that the situation painted in the book might soon become a reality. Thank you for your insights.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”