Official Review: Invasion by Roxanne Bland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: "Hard Place" by Douglas Stewart
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Official Review: Invasion by Roxanne Bland

Post by kislany » 24 Nov 2017, 04:42

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Invasion" by Roxanne Bland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Invasion by Roxanne Bland is an engaging dark urban fantasy/science-fiction novel set in a time where zots (exotics, humans that are different) exist, but they are viciously hunted down. In a way, the book reminded me of the currently running TV show The Gifted, where the hunt for mutants is just as fervent as it is in this book.

Kurt is an old and powerful vampire regent and Master of Seattle. Well, he used to be powerful, but something happened that made him lose most of his powers. And they are gradually still dissipating. Now, he is in such a weakened state that any vampire regent of other colonies could easily challenge him and take away his colony and kill him in the process. All because of a particular “tryst,” a spell he took part in with two other zots (the werewolf Parker and the mage Garrett), which went terribly wrong. Now, all involved got powers from each other but lost some of their own. And, especially for Kurt, this can quickly become a death sentence.

When I picked up Invasion by Roxanne Bland, based on the rather cheesy 80s-style cover, I expected something equally cheesy. Well, for once, I was glad to be proven wrong. The book turned out to be a fast-paced adventure story with lots of twists and turns. The action scenes flow smoothly, and the characters are well-fleshed out. Kurt, based on his history with the other main protagonists and some of his own flashbacks, seems to be an evil, bad-ass vampire. Yet, he ended up being my favorite in the book. There is just something about a tormented soul that is endearing and heart-warming. Also, I have a weakness for vampires.

Then we have Parker, a werewolf, and leader of the Seattle pack, who is in love with an alien and is constantly on edge. Not to mention that he has an ax to grind with both Kurt, who hurt him in the past, and Garrett, for screwing up their tryst. Garrett is a powerful witch and mage who is always in love with the wrong person, a trait that will, eventually, put her in grave danger. And let’s not forget about our alien, Melera, who comes from a faraway galaxy and whose English is adorably broken. And she loves Parker back.

This book breaks every stereotype that we have about supernatural beings. Generally, vampires and werewolves do not get along (see Twilight). And aliens simply aren’t in the picture in any of the urban fantasy novels I’ve read so far. They are strictly sci-fi material. Yet, in Invasion, the mix of these very different people (creatures?) oddly works. With Invasion, the author created a book that easily transcends genres.

The writing style is clear, with good grammar and proper formatting. In fact, I haven’t found a single major grammatical error within the pages. I think the only issue I came across once was an extra space between two letters of a word. It has been a long time since I have read such a clean copy, devoid of errors that would distract from my enjoyment of the book.

After reading Invasion, I noticed that there is a prior story in the series called The Underground. Usually, I am reluctant to read books out of series, but here I didn’t feel at a disadvantage. The author added enough background information about the characters to make them work well in a standalone setting.

I only had positive experiences while reading Invasion, so I give it 4 out of 4 stars without hesitation. I can recommend it to any reader who loves both fast-paced urban fantasies and sci-fi novels.

Invasion
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!

Job Njoroge
Currently Reading: Out of Rushmore's Shadow: The Luigi Del Bianco Story"
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: "Searching For Paradise" by T.L.Hughes
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2017 Reading Goal: 30
Goal Completion: 66

Post by Job Njoroge » 27 Nov 2017, 00:51

Great review though this kind of science fiction puts me off since I don't believe that they exist. Great work though on the review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: "Secrets of the Blessed" by C. A. Lemaster
2017 Reading Goal: 100
Goal Completion: 100

Post by kandscreeley » 27 Nov 2017, 09:12

I saw this one on the review list. I just wasn't sure about it. I'm glad it turned out okay. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Time Traveler's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: "Faith To Fortune" by Yaron
2017 Reading Goal: 80
Goal Completion: 58

Post by ReviewerDiksha » 27 Nov 2017, 10:03

I love reading paranormal novels. Though the vampire/werewolf stuff has been a disappointment, for some time now. This seems good though I am still a bit skeptic about it. Great review, though :D

Miriam Molina
Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: "450 East" by David R. VerValin
2017 Reading Goal: 36
Goal Completion: 155

Post by Miriam Molina » 27 Nov 2017, 12:21

You seem to have enjoyed the book a lot, Kislany. So you have a weakness for vampires and dragons! I'm not really a fan of either, but I'm willing to read this book. You got me at "tormented soul."

ButterscotchCherrie
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2017 Reading Goal: 50
Goal Completion: 48

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 28 Nov 2017, 07:30

Sounds as if this author dared to do something different and pulled it off. It's always good when a book in a series works as a standalone.

ParadoxicalWoman
Currently Reading: The Art of Winning
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 29 Nov 2017, 06:10

Interesting! It's a good feeling to have when a book has proven us to be wrong. That basically means that it is not just any typical stories that we have read before. I'm thrilled to know that this book has surprised you. Thank you for your review.

Mercy Bolo
Favorite Book: The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: "Water Thicker Than Blood" by Saundra Terrell

Post by Mercy Bolo » 29 Nov 2017, 15:56

Thank you for the candid review. Although science fiction isn't my favorite genre, I occasionally take a peak. This one sounds really interesting.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: "Hard Place" by Douglas Stewart

Post by kislany » 30 Nov 2017, 16:36

Thanks everyone.

Job Njoroge - this is a novel, not a non-fiction book.

kandscreeley - yep, it's a good one to pick up, I enjoyed it.

ReviewerDiksha - I love paranormals too, that's one reason why I picked it (I love Twilight, btw).

Miriam Molina - haha, yes I do, don't I!

ButterscotchCherrie - Indeed, I think she did, and yes, she did pull it off nicely.

ParadoxicalWoman - thank you for stopping by

Mercy Bolo - this book is, indeed, interesting. It's worth a read.

inaramid
Currently Reading: The Siege
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
2017 Reading Goal: 10
Goal Completion: 70

Post by inaramid » 01 Dec 2017, 09:35

I had to laugh at the "cheesy 80's style cover" observation. I'm glad you took a chance with this book. Personally, I've grown a little tired of vampires and werewolves, but I'm pleased that somebody still put a nice spin on the concept.

willo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by willo » 01 Dec 2017, 12:43

This story helped me gain the mapping of invasion with the real world.

Marylynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
2017 Reading Goal: 230
Goal Completion: 8

Post by Marylynn » 02 Dec 2017, 06:59

I love the sound of that; '' ,,,dark urban fantasy''. The way you started out your review tickled my fancy for the book. Great review.

Ranjoz01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ranjoz01 » 03 Dec 2017, 00:40

Great review.for taking a spin interestingly different.a change is always a good start.kudos

rensonmambiri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rensonmambiri » 03 Dec 2017, 12:02

Ilove this book it takes u for an adventure.onother world keeep it up thumps up

Jebolina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jebolina.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2017 Reading Goal: 11
Goal Completion: 81

Post by Jebolina » 08 Dec 2017, 17:25

Good review, you really put in a lot of talent. It take great skill to observe the observable.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”