Official Review: Exiles' Escape by W. Clark Boutwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Official Review: Exiles' Escape by W. Clark Boutwell

Post by Anirudh Badri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Exiles' Escape" by W. Clark Boutwell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Exiles’ Escape, by W. Clark Boutwell, is the second book in the sci-fi series Old Men and Infidels. The book deals with a complex and intricate storyline with a diverse cast of characters. While it is the continuation of a series, I read it without having read the first book and was largely able to follow along.

The central story in the book is the clash between the Unity and the Restructured States of America. The Unity’s entire population is young and the government tells its civilians that after the age of forty they are moved to a secluded utopia. The reality is that they are Sapped (turned into mindless zombie soldiers). The story of the Unity’s side is shown to us through the eyes Malila Chiu and her friend Hecate Jones who are both slated for Sapping and are fleeing the Unity. On the other side of the Rampart, the huge defensive structure that separates the Unity from America, we meet Jesse. Jesse is a soldier who is tied to the creation of Ageplay, a substance that prolongs youthful existence. He is back in civilisation after years in the wilderness and finds that he has enemies. The enemies are among the very people he has protected for decades. There are even shadowy factions like the Syntopians who are trying to kill him to discredit Ageplay. As the two sides plot and scheme to dominate, they are also rife with conflict from within. There are a variety of complex interrelationships between these characters and a whole host of other characters as well. However, to say more would spoil the joy of reading it as a great deal of what the book promises is an intricate storyline.

While it may already be apparent, it still needs to be said. My favourite part of this book was the intricate and complex storyline that was being woven. With so many different parties, each with their own vested interests, the book kept me on my toes. I was eager to discover how the plot would move forward. The truly impressive part is that while the narrative was elaborate, at no point was I confused by it. It is a fine line between reading a puzzler and just being puzzled but this book managed to keep my interest throughout.

In addition, I was also very impressed with the novelty of the sci-fi elements of this story. My favourite was the CORE, a physical representation of a futuristic internet. The people can interact with the CORE via interfaces which have a physical existence in the CORE. Their personalities and the descriptions of one of the characters attempting to navigate through this dimension were novel ideas to me. To navigate here, he and his interface have to turn off certain dimensions of objects and use the reduced shadows to orient themselves in the bizarreness of the CORE. This way of representing the world of information as well as the manner in which it is described was extremely entertaining and thought-provoking.

However, while the plot was complex, the characters are another question. I found them all to be rather one-dimensional and simple. Moreover, there was little to no character development for even the major characters. This meant that I was curious about the plot but had no emotional investment in any of the characters. For example, Jesse is just an old soldier who is tough, intelligent and a bit of a romantic. We don’t really get to see him change or see his inner conflict, although there is ample scope for that to happen. This is probably a result of telling a story of this scale in such a relatively short book. I hope that the transformation is just slow and will happen over the course of the series.

I would recommend this book to people who love a good sci-fi story that is set in an interesting world. Even though it is possible to follow the series by starting with this book, I would recommend reading the series in order. The additional context would be helpful in following along and enjoying the plot. In conclusion, although I enjoyed the plot, the lack of character development does make the book as a whole less engaging than it could be. As a result, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Exiles' Escape
View: on Bookshelves

Like Anirudh Badri's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
rafata
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rafata »

very good
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do love a good sci fi novel. I'd be worried about reading this one without the first, but it sounds like it works okay. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
malikmaliik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by malikmaliik »

nice book I like it :) :)

-- 17 Nov 2017, 18:41 --

I do love a good sci fi novel. I'd be worried about reading this one without the first, but it sounds like it works okay. Thanks for the review!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Wonderful review. This is not a book I would read though. Glad you enjoyed it.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

For some reason, this book reminded me of the Blade Runner (the first one). I'll have to check it out. Great review.
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

Awesome....might review soon.

-- 19 Nov 2017, 17:24 --

Awesome....might review soon.

-- 19 Nov 2017, 17:26 --

I have read it but nothing to say/give about it.
:tiphat:
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Kislany, now that I think about it, there are some interesting comparisons to blade runner to be made.

Hope you like it.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

I love complex stories that are not predictable since it is refreshing to read them and increase your imagination. Also the book discusses the themes found in our modern society where there is betrayal and plots to bring others down. Great review though on the book I enjoyed it and it is also informative.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Thanks for the review. I would take a pass on the book since sci-fi is not my favorite genre.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Thanks for this review. Having watched a lot of Japanese anime, the idea of the CORE didn't come across as very original to me. That, plus the lack of character development that you mentioned, makes me want to give this one a pass.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Glad to know you were able to enjoy reading this book without reading the first one. However, I will have to read the first one first. Great review. It makes the book is intriguing to read.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Hmmmm, nice review and the book seems appealing to me. I want to read it, I am convince at your review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in here.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
JaimeAlfonzo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaimealfonzo.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JaimeAlfonzo »

I enjoyed the book, this novel made me remember my first sci-fi book. It is a novel for young adults. The only thing that i found annoying it the overuse of the tormented hero cliche. The pace of the action was perfect to keep the my attention.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”