Official Review: The Carbynarah Chronicles by Jon Franklyn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: The Carbynarah Chronicles by Jon Franklyn

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Carbynarah Chronicles" by Jon Franklyn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the first book of the Carbynarah Chronicles by Jon Franklyn, humanity is on the brink of war. The powerful armies of two neighboring kingdoms, the Shakarine and Warteen, are threatening the Yemenee kingdom, so everyone is on high alert and preparing for battle.

The first chapter starts with a bang. Raaj, a powerful wizard, and Yron, his apprentice (also called a Maiggii), are desperately trying to save an injured messenger from the hunting Hawkriders. The messenger arrived at their doorsteps with arrows in his back and is hardly alive. He has important news from the Yemenite king Timon. I admit I was at the edge of my seat during the entire first episode. Once this threat is over, however, things calm down for the next several chapters as we follow Raaj and Yron traveling towards king Timon’s camp.

Along the way, other characters are also introduced to the story with the scene shifting every few pages to different points of views. We first follow Yron and Raaj, who are trying to reach the king and his ailing son. Then we jump to Darmuth, the king’s second son. He is first presented as a spoiled brat who later learns to become independent and strong. Then we meet Havendar, a Ranger who was captured by the Shakarine spies and forced to fight in gladiator games. We also get to knows Sartura, king Timon’s daughter, who, as the story progresses, grows into a powerful warrior that instills courage in the Yemenite soldiers. Next, we jump to Lord Myningar and Lord Og, two Yemenite high-ranking officers, and their armies preparing for war. Before long, we meet the king himself overseeing the war preparations. This constant switching between characters allowed me to get a comprehensive view of what was happening on all fronts while the battle plans were underway.

From all the characters I met in the book, Yron was my favorite. I was always excited when the story would focus on him again as I found his storyline to be the best in the entire book. Yron is an impressive young man with a deep curiosity about magic who cannot leave things alone and has to learn the inner workings of every spell he comes across. I was enthralled by the author’s descriptions of the magic spells Yron would cast, including the famous inset spell, which he would have to use on the king’s ailing son if he reached the camp on time.

While the book is mostly somber, I did chuckle a few times throughout the story. When Brelyah, Yron’s travel companion, befriended Sartura, they began bickering over who would win Yron’s heart. Yron was painfully unaware of their scheming, as his mind was on everything else but romancing the ladies.

At over 600 pages, The Carbynarah Chronicles is quite a long read. The writing itself is easy to follow; however, I found several spelling and grammatical mistakes that gave me pause. For example, the author writes “only to be release when the item was destroyed,” “attackers belongings,” “after his brother death,” and “he crumbled some dirt on top of his belongs.” Also, he uses the word “lie” in the wrong tense. “From where Havendar lie, he could see his horse,” “Darmuth lie down and watched Raaj,” and “as he lie down beside him to sleep” are just a few such examples. The book could benefit from the keen eyes of a professional proofreader.

While I did appreciate the alphabetical Index at the beginning of the book to help the reader learn more about the land of Carbynarah and its people, I really missed a map of the entire area, which is usually present in most epic fantasy novels. When the Yemenite army and the fleeing population were marching across the lands to reach the plateau of Benflyn Dor, I would have liked to follow their route along on the map.

I liked that the author added the first chapter of the second book at the end as a teaser of things to come. Since the story ended on a cliffhanger, it was nice to see what would become of my favorite characters. As for the ending of the first book, I think the biggest surprise for me was Brelyah, Yron’s travel companion. The final reveal about her character left me speechless.

Overall, The Carbynarah Chronicles was a thoroughly enjoyable read. Slow at times, the action would pick up just when it needed that faster pace. Due to the many spelling and grammar errors, however, I give it 3 out of 4 stars. Fixing them would easily bump the rating to full marks. I recommend the book to readers who enjoy character-driven epic fantasy novels that involve the use of magic and feature large-scale battles and dragons. I hope the next book will emphasize the dragons more because I found them fascinating in this first story.

The Carbynarah Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

You seem to be interested in dragons these days, Kislany. I am not too fond of them myself, though.

But as I am intrigued by the ending that rendered you speechless, I will keep this book on my to-read list (that's getting too long).
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am beginning to think that our reading preferences in the epic Fantasy genre are similar :) It is one of my very favorite comfort reads. I just want the author to fix the mistakes first, before I read! Thanks for the review.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I am intrigued by the brilliant switching between characters, which keeps the reader engrossed waiting for the favorite character to pop up. I love war stories and would love to read this piece. You can also check out my latest review on historical war injustices.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Definitely sounds like this one needs an editor. It sounds interesting, but I'm just not sure about the pacing. Slow but picking up when needed? I'll have to think about it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

@Miriam Molina you are right, I never thought about it, but yes, dragons seems to be a guilty pleasure of mine :) The ending definitely threw me for a loop!

@Kat Berg haha, yes we do seem to have the same tastes in books!

@kwahu yes, it was interesting how the points of view switched so often. Initially, I was a bit confused by it, but once I got used to the switch, I was looking forward to meeting some of my favorite characters again.

@kandscreeley yep, this one is definitely not one of those fast-paced books. There are chapters where people are just riding their horses to get closer to the king's camp. But there is always something happening around the riders, so the book is not boring by any means.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like a long interesting read. I like that the book starts with a bang and the ending leaves you speechless. Will definitely add it on my to read list!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Wizards in the middle east... Now that's an interesting angle. Thank you for the detailed review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the thorough review. You made the story sounds interesting! I agree that it helps to have a map of the area in this type of book. I cringed when I read the examples of the errors. Hopefully, the author will use an editor next time.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ochieng Ariba
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 91389">The concubine</a>
Currently Reading: Anthills of Savannah
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-ariba.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Ochieng Ariba »

Good review. All errors clearly visible as the reviewer has pointed out apart from "he crumbled some dirt on top of his belongings." Could you kindly correct it to help others who can't trace the error like me.
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Ochieng Ariba wrote:Good review. All errors clearly visible as the reviewer has pointed out apart from "he crumbled some dirt on top of his belongings." Could you kindly correct it to help others who can't trace the error like me.
I am not sure what you mean. The error was "he crumbled some dirt on top of his belongs", which should have been "he crumbled some dirt on top of his belonging."
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Great review! This sounds like an epic story. That's a shame about the grammatical errors and lack of a map - usually that's key for these kinds of books. Was it difficult to keep up with the shifting viewpoints?
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

@Cotwani yes, it was definitely an interesting read.

@Mercy Bolo well, it was an imagined place, the book is a high-fantasy novel, not focusing on a real place

@bookowlie sadly yes, there are plenty of errors. Without a good proofreader or copyeditor, a book at this size is bound to have several such issues.

@Mallory Whitaker only at the beginning. Once I got used to the different points of view (sometimes they would even switch after a single page), it was smooth sailing.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

This book has all the ingredients of a great novel, dragons, wizards, magic. Surely going to read this.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

The lore sounds interesting, and high marks for the pacing and levity if it's as good as you say it is: those are tough tasks to accomplish. However, a lot of the names are a real turn-off for me ("maiggii" just looks silly) and the spelling errors you mention would drive me crazy. Might pass on this one.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”