Official Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Official Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly is a dystopian romance that is set in the post World War III world. It chronicles the tale of Cali and Stefani who live in a world of tyranny, where the dictator asserts his power by imposing a strict law that enforces the arranged marriage of everyone as soon as they come of age. Both Cali and Stefani are reaching this age and find themselves in love with two separate men. This complicates things for them. Hence, they decide to be a part of Temptation Trials to prove the purity of their love. However, soon they realise that everything is not as it seems.

In the second book in this series, both these women have complicated feelings and this further intensifies the narrative. Unexpected events take place and quite a lot is revealed. This is definitely a book for adults due to the explicit nature of the writing as well as sexual content.

This story essentially brings together a myriad of elements that are characteristic of diverse genres. One unique and innovative thing about this book is that it brings together dystopian and romantic fiction, and both are equally important in this book. There are shining moments in the book when one is reminded of George Orwell’s words. This provides an incentive to people who don’t generally read romantic fiction to read this book. I loved the political connotations in the book, even though it is clear that the overriding theme is love.

The two themes that are dealt with extensively in this novel are love and lust. It brings in religious connotations in a very unconventional way. Lust surfaces time and again as one of the seven deadly sins, raising its ugly head to threaten the power of love. These two themes are explored in great depths in this novel.

The one thing I absolutely loved about this book was the use of colloquial language by the characters in the novel. This use of language adds an element of realism in the novel, and the reader will find it easier to associate with the characters.

Another intriguing thing about the book was the ending. It made me long for more. It was clear that the story will be continued in the next book in the series. I felt like a lot of questions that were carried over from the first book were resolved in the second one, and many of them are yet to be answered. Overall, I would give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few errors but they would not detract the reader, and in no way do these errors take away from the beauty of the book.

Temptation Trials Part II
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like HouseOfAtticus's review? Post a comment saying so!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Good review! The comparison to George Orwell is high praise for this author's work.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Book 2 seems to be better than Book 1. I am not yet tempted enough though to read the book, considering the explicit content.

Thanks for the truly insightful review, HouseofAtticus! Welcome to the Club!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This is a great review. I would not normally consider reading a "romance" novel of this sort, but your review has me very intrigued!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this second part. While the concept sounds intriguing, I don't think I would enjoy this series. So I'll be skipping this and the first one. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I almost picked this book up for review but I hadn't read the first one yet. Sounds interesting though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Like Thompson said, Sex without love is as hollow and ridiculous as love without sex.

Thanks for the great review. I will first add this book to my shelf and then read it.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I have been thinking about reading this book and your review helped me make my decision. I am going to grab a copy of this one.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A world where a corrupt government dictates your love life sounds intriguing!The concept of the "Temptation Trials" reminds me of the "Hunger Games" and "The Selection". The use of colloquial language sounds like a nice touch. I steer clear from political/ religious themes, nor did I read the first book, so I will pass. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Yay, Im glad I read your review before purchasing this book! At least I now have a gist of what and not to expect. Thank you very much.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I am mid way into reading this book and I have to say that the language used makes it different.
Thanks for the nice review :)
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

I don't know about everyone but I find it uncommon to have a unique concept that a government imposing law of arranged marriage upon its citizen who were of age. I haven't read the first part so I'll have to skip reading part two, I have to read both books to fully understand whats going on in this series. Fascinating and thank you for your review.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
jedreid
Currently Reading: Going Gone
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jedreid.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by jedreid »

i am already longing for more (specifically for book 1) just by reading this review. good job!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

A dystopian romance where a corrupt government controls your love life sounds interesting.Love, lust and arranged marriage rule this unusual world. Thanks for making it free and congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Will Cali and Stefani be able to understand true love in a government where marriages are arranged and a dangerous reality show where every temptation is presented to them? Hope so!

I don't enjoy many explicit sexual scenes and I haven't read the first one, so I think I will pass on this one. Though I can see the themes of love and lust be a tempting one for many. Too bad about the errors, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read regardless!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”