Official Review: Scions of Azazyel by Dr. Robert Wheeler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Official Review: Scions of Azazyel by Dr. Robert Wheeler

Post by Arushi Singh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scions of Azazyel" by Dr. Robert Wheeler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

And prevailed not; neither was there place found any more in heaven.

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent called the Devil, and Satan, which deceived the whole world; he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

Revelation of John 12:7-9.

Scions of Azazyel
War in Heaven

Azazyel was born an archangel, and he was buried alive.
Satan is looking for Azazyel. The vampires are looking for Azazyel. Meanwhile, Gabriel and Raphael are trying to enlist their archangel brothers into God’s army before the final Battle. It is now their job to protect Azazyel’s children. If that doesn't sound exciting enough, I don’t know what possibly could.

Scions of Azazyel by Dr. Robert Wheeler is a thrilling and phenomenal book that fuses together myths and legends of all stripes. For a nerd like me, there is no better heaven than the one that the author has created by writing this book. This book is Percy Jackson meets Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I have never read a book that is so extensively researched.

This book explores a plethora of themes in a very unconventional way. One prominent theme that anyone can find in this book is that of revenge. This theme is explored in the novel with eloquence. Other themes that surface in this novel are ones like death and God. The most interesting one seems to be the idea of faith. There was a tinge of nostalgia that I felt when I read this book. I was suddenly reminded of Percy Jackson and the way the idea of faith is explored.

This book is essentially for an esoteric crowd. If you are into myths and folklore, then regardless of your age, this book is for you.

This book goes beyond dealing with the idea of faith at an impersonal level. The author hasn’t just spun a tale that deals with myths and legends, but he has also explored the implications of the existence of such a world. God is a recurrent motif in this novel, and heavily influences the plot of the book.

The thing that struck me the most was the way different myths and folklore have been amalgamated into a single story. It takes a certain class of brilliance to spin such a complex story with such eloquence and simplicity.

It irked me that the book had a slow beginning because that is where a lot of people are likely to lose interest, but it suddenly picked its pace at one point in the book, and from that point, the story moves at a breathless pace.

When it comes to the style of writing, I will maintain that the author has done a brilliant job of delineating such a complex plot which such simplicity. There were a few errors here and there but overall, the writing of the author is quite irresistible.

I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I feel that the beginning could have had a stronger hook to lure the reader, but other than that, I felt that it was a great read. I would suggest anyone who is interested in folklore and myths to read this book.

Scions of Azazyel
View: on Bookshelves

Like Arushi Singh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Wow! @o@ This DEF sounds like my kind of book - an amalgamation of myths and legends and religious/spiritual stuff? Yes, please.
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html

Post by Arushi Singh »

hahah yes! Mine too. I am sure you would love it. :D
Piyali27
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piyali27.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Piyali27 »

Nice review!! I like novels related to Angels and demons and this one sounds like an interesting book.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
AdaJude
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by AdaJude »

Am also considered a nerd. I would like to delve into this realm of myth and lore. Great review.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

Sounds like a good read!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

MsTri wrote:Wow! @o@ This DEF sounds like my kind of book - an amalgamation of myths and legends and religious/spiritual stuff? Yes, please.
I agree with MsTri. This sounds like my kind of book. It really helps to know going in that I am in for a somewhat slow start. I can stick with it if I know things are going to get good. Thanks for the review!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I liked your analogy of Percy Jackson meets Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The cover alone got me interested. This is the kind of book that will have you reevaluating the beliefs once held strong.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this is a book for me because of the themes. I do appreciate your review, though. It's too bad there wasn't a stronger hook at the beginning. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”