Review of AlCent Sagas: Book 2 - Revelation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zanne Crystle
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Maddie Max Needs to Relax by A.d. storm

Review of AlCent Sagas: Book 2 - Revelation

Post by Zanne Crystle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "AlCent Sagas: Book 2 - Revelation" by James Crawford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

AlCent Sagas: Book Two - Revelation by James Crawford is an exciting sequel that delves deeper into the conflict and secrets of the Alpha Centauri Star System. It explores more of the AlCent A and AlCent B systems, uncovering new mysteries and adding layers to the adventure that began in the first book.

The story continues with James Van Wert as he leads his crew on missions that test their skills and determination. They are getting closer to uncovering the secrets of the AlCent B system as they and other fleet members explore an enemy base and make progress with the mystery surrounding the Malabar.

At the same time, the crew of the Malabar faces the grim reality of their predicament. They find themselves trapped in unfamiliar and hostile environments, subjected to forced labor, and manipulated as pawns in twisted power plays.

My favorite aspects of the book were the detective story elements and the action sequences. It was also interesting to learn more about the influence of the nemesis characters and the conspiracies that threaten the fleet and government. However, I think the book could have focused more on storytelling and character dynamics instead of delving so deeply into the workings of the ships and space travel. While I understand the value it adds to the book, it slowed down the plot too much for my liking.

I had trouble remembering all the characters, ship names, and planets in the story because it’s been a while since I read the first book. Although the author subtly references the first book through various lines and phrases, I believe including a glossary would be beneficial for clarifying things.

Overall, I found this book enjoyable, so I give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I deducted one star due to the previously mentioned technical details that bogged down the plot. Although this issue slightly affected my reading experience, it didn’t detract much from my overall enjoyment. I recommend reading this book if you’ve already read the first book.

AlCent Sagas: Book 2 - Revelation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

:P :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: "Through your review, I find it very enjoyable. In fact, I love exploring scientific concepts in innovative ways and imagining how the world could be in the future."
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Pandora's Star
Bookshelf Size: 448
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by NetMassimo »

The first book seemed like an engaging space opera with an important element of military science fiction. Despite the flaws you pointed out, this sequel can be interesting for readers who like stories with an important technical element. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Sandre Lamar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

“AlCent Sagas: Book 2 - Revelation" by James Crawford is a gripping new mysteries and intense action, unfolding deeper layers of intrigue and conflict.
Slippy Spectrum
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slippy-spectrum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Slippy Spectrum »

Oh hey there, partner! Just readin' this review 'bout AlCent Sagas: Book Two - Revelation by James Crawford. Seems like a mighty fine sequel, explorin' deeper into the Alpha Centauri Star System. The author sure knows how to keep ya on the edge of yer seat with mysteries and action! The detective elements and the intense action sequences really caught my attention. Though I will admit, all them technical details 'bout ships and space travel slowed things down a might too much for my taste. But overall, I reckon this book should be a good read for folks who've enjoyed the first one. I'll give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars. Happy readin', y'all! Emotional depth, tugged at my heartstrings.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”