Official Review: The Time Stone by Jeffrey Estrella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Time Stone by Jeffrey Estrella

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Time Stone by Jeffrey Estrella starts off with the heist of a green emerald known as the Eye of the Gods. This small gem not only has a cool name, it's also the titular Time Stone, a stone potentially capable of taking a person (or people) through time and space at will! Immediately after taking the item, the thief vanishes, leaving no evidence of who he (or she) is.

Behind the theft are high ranking officials of Temporo, Inc. who have hired a group of "misfit ninja warriors" referred to as The Culto to steal it. To cover up the real perpetrator, they've come up with two scapegoats - a homeless wanderer named James Timewalker and a woman named Tina Prescott. The two of them went to high school together and barely manage to talk to one another during a chance meeting before they're thrown in prison for "their" crime.

However, you know a guy named James Timewalker isn't just some random homeless guy who will easily be written off. He discovers that he has telekinesis - he can move things with his mind! This comes in particularly handy for busting the two of them out of jail. However, they soon discover that they're caught up in a huge conspiracy, and Temporo, Inc. is only a piece of the puzzle. Not only is all of time in danger, James may be a key part of it!

The Time Stone is a sci-fi adventure in which ordinary people overcome immense odds not only in an attempt to save the world but various people across time and space. However, while the overall plot is intriguing, the book absolutely didn't live up to any of the expectations I had for it. For starters, these two "ordinary people" (who eventually team up with two additional folks) are able to not only survive things like battles with six ninjas wielding weapons, but overcome so well that I never once felt scared for their well-being. The four characters also have minimal personalities - sure James has special abilities, Tina is the silly one and the other two (a Temporo, Inc. insider and an archaeologist) have a few quirks of their own, but their dialogue is almost entirely interchangeable to such an extent that sometimes I didn't get why Tina would be the one saying something crazy scientific or the girl who was fluent in numerous languages wouldn't be able to translate something that someone else was easily able to.

On top of the ridiculous action, the plot seems to wander all over the place. The book is listed twice on Amazon - one with 447 pages and another with 332. In either case, the book is far too long and once it lost my attention a few chapters in it never grabbed it again. For a while the chapters flipped between the "good guys" and the "bad guys", and it even seemed like Broad, one of the main antagonists, was considering giving up his evil ways, but that plot quickly dissolved into nothing and the chapters focused entirely on the heroes. I can typically read a book in a day or two, and a book of this length may take a few days more if it doesn't hold my attention, but I took nearly a whole month with this one because I kept putting it off.

Finally, something I'd normally consider pretty major but was minor in comparison to the rest of my issues - I caught almost 100 errors in the book while I read it. I wasn't thoroughly editing or looking out for errors mind you, these were blatant, easy-to-find errors like extra spacing with punctuation, using the wrong word or swapping tense repeatedly in a sentence. It really didn't bother me so much in this case, though, as the entire book was so faulty that it sort of fit with the rest.

My rating of The Time Stone by Jeffrey Estrella is 1 out of 4 stars. I wanted to like this book - the plot and genre were right up my alley! However, the nearly nonexistent plot, lack of character building, errors and length of the book just absolutely killed it for me. The only positive I can think of is that there were a few times the humor worked fairly well, but that's buried in numerous other attempts at humor that fell flat. Jeffrey came up with a pretty solid basis for his plot, but sadly all the rest needs work.

The Time Stone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Man! It really sucks that it didn't live up to its hype. It sounds like a great premise that the author just couldn't bring to fruition. Sorry you had to suffer that way.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Nice review but I don't like the story. Oh, so sorry because you did not enjoyed reading the book. Thanks.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

The plot seemed so promising. Such a disappointment when they don't live up to even the most moderate expectations. Thanks for the review. I am always so impressed with those who tough it out through a one star book!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that this one was so disappointing. The errors would annoy me as well as the lack of any true plot. Thanks
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Too bad the book has so many flaws! If it were handled properly, it would've been a superb thrill to read it. A month to read it? I hear you! Thanks for the honest review. I know I have to stay away from it.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This sounds like a failed attempt at storytelling. I commend the author for making an effort though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

What a let down in the story because of errors . The plot seems interesting though. Nice review CataclysmicKnight.
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

That's such a shame! Not only does the title scream "READ ME" but the premise of the book is super interesting! Really bummed this turned out to be an inadequate version of something that could have been super fun! Great review!
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

It sounds like a good book, of course, without any errors. I have always been fascinated by supernatural powers! Thaks for the review.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I agree it is frustrating to want to like a book but then it turns out to be poorly written. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
ayman gamghal
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6734">Rich Dad, Poor Dad,</a>
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by ayman gamghal »

it's pretty sad to read this negative review after i have marked it to read later, :p i'll check myself though

-- 15 Nov 2017, 11:23 --

it's pretty sad to read this negative review after i have marked it to read later, :p i'll check myself though
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Kalin Adi wrote: 29 Oct 2017, 20:22 Too bad the book has so many flaws! If it were handled properly, it would've been a superb thrill to read it. A month to read it? I hear you! Thanks for the honest review. I know I have to stay away from it.
I agree with you. Hoping for that I cannot choose a book like this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I like your review. Thanks for your honest review.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”